Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

For the "What RC can I get my kid for $100?" questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 10:25 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For the "What RC can I get my kid for $100?" questions

So I picked up a couple of Dromida's 1/18 scale 4wd cars for my neighbor's nephews Christmas this year (we're splitting the cost). Dromida is made by Revell, remember the plastic model company? It's pretty impressive what you get for your Benjamin: A 4wd off-roader with a rather peppy 370 brushed motor, grippy tires, responsive steering servo with kimbrough-style saver, 2.4ghz radio with batts, a 1300mah NiMh pack with charger and all in one box. Yeah, brushed motor. I was skeptical too. I HAD to take it out for a test drive. Just to make sure everything was ok with it before we gave them to the boys, you understand.

The smaller scale makes the <20mph top speed feel faster. The car is able to handle my off road track very well. The tires are grippy, and the oil shocks soak up the bumps. Even takes jumps pretty well, albeit with a little chassis slap. Maybe it needs a little more pre-load. But dang! For a youngster's first real RC, this car is going to be plenty fast. And if it's still too fast, the radio has the unusual feature of having a throttle dual-rate knob, so you can further limit the car's top speed if you wish. I thought that was brilliant for a $99 RTR meant as an entry-level hobby grade RC.

I was surprised to find that everything is plastic. Even the dogbones and center driveshaft. That made me swallow hard. But, the brushed motor model anyway is just light enough, the plastic flexible enough, and just slow enough that any damage is going to be unlikely. The brushless model I could see maybe twisting some plastic dogbones. But you guys know how it is with a new RC car...you drive it till it breaks, then fix it, preferably with an upgraded part. For $36 I think, Dromida sells an "Aluminum Driveline Kit" that has a center drive shaft, dogbones, and drive axles. In fact, Dromida sells all kinds of aluminum parts for these little cars. Pricey too. You could make the car so heavy, probably, that a bushed motor car would get too hot or youd have to gear down cuz of all the extra weight.

But like I said, you see what breaks first. With the brushed motor I suspect plastic axles will be fine. I think the driveline kit is probably the only worthwhile upgrade if you find you're breaking dogbones.

You can also convert a brushed model car to brushless, but the kit to do it includes a new steering servo as well as new ESC and motor, so that pushes the "Brushless Speed Kit" to $120. Cripes, you can buy a whole new brushless model car for $150.

Anyway, this time of year especially, we always have people coming here and asking what they can get their kid for xmas that is better than the $25 toys at Big 5, but under $150, give or take. Well I gotta tell you, I was pretty impressed with this little Dromida buggy. It has scoot, actually drives well, is fast enough to entertain any noob, and fun enough even for us more experienced. If you're looking for a inexpensive hobby grade RC for your kid for Xmas this year, one you can get parts for if anything breaks and is actually pretty tough for it's size, I'd say look no further. (They also make a MT, an SCT, a DT, a DB, brushed or brushless, some with lights too. None are over $180.) Dromida.com

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 11-24-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update..
Gave the cars to the boys. The older one especially was briefly overcome with emotion, wiping an eye, then, "IT'S THE CAR I WANTED!! Thank you!!! " And I got a big hug. Ahh, Christmas...

First day, no problems, no fouls, no breakage. Second day, my buddy and I were running our tenth scale cars at the same time. One of us may have hit the buggy, causing the C hub to rip out the end of the suspension arm. Went to the hobby store, suspension arms are $2.99 a pair, nice!!, and they're symmetrical, any one arm can be used on any corner. Cool!!  Extremely cost effective, I'd say. Run times are about 20min. WAY better than the junky RC toy they got last year.

Thinking about getting one for my wife, perfectly suited to her skill level, and, I have to say, they are a hoot to drive! I'd probably get myself the brushless model, but the $99 brushed version has scoot too.

Pretty easy to make the repair, but DANG, those screws are small!!

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 12-23-2016 at 09:13 AM.