Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

New Slash 4x4 and $50 bucks to blow.... What should i buy?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New Slash 4x4 and $50 bucks to blow.... What should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 12:24 PM
92hatchattack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Slash 4x4 and $50 bucks to blow.... What should i buy?

Hey all!

Got my son a Brushless Slash 4x4 for Christmas and he is loving this thing! I've got like $50 eCash to Tower and I need to blow it by the 30th of this month. What should I pick up to add to my sons truck? His uncle got him a Venom Pro Charger 3 and two spare traxxas 3000mah Nimh batteries already so we are good on power for now, especially since I want him to get used to handling the power of the truck before I give him Lipos.

I was thinking of picking up the ESC cooler that snaps right on. Is that a good add? What else should I pickup?

Quick Slash question. When running today, after about 15 minutes of run time to car would stop dead and the light on the receiver would be flashing red. From what I read in the manual this looks like the receiver cutting off the car because of low voltage. Is this normal? I only ask because it seemed like the car still had more than enough power left in it. Also, the low voltage cutoff on the ESC was off...so that should have nothing to do with it right?

Ok, thanks all. Looking forward to hearing what you all think I should pick up!

Take care!

---Joe
Old 12-26-2016, 12:56 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Joe, the ESC fan would be a good idea. If you have a few extra bucks, pick up a infrared thermometer to monitor your motor temps. Getting to know the normal operating temps for your motor and ESC and checking it regularly can alert you to problems starting to develop. Like a bearing starting to freeze up.

Fifteen minutes of running is good for a 3000mah NiMh. That is normal operation.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:05 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thought, you could pick up some RPM Slash suspension arms. RPM makes better replacement parts than Traxxas, due to better plastics.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:47 PM
92hatchattack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ Thanks for the suggestions! Luckily for me I already have the thermometer from a nitro car we had a new years ago. That thing was a nightmare. lol!
Old 12-26-2016, 03:31 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 92hatchattack
...Quick Slash question. When running today, after about 15 minutes of run time to car would stop dead and the light on the receiver would be flashing red. From what I read in the manual this looks like the receiver cutting off the car because of low voltage. Is this normal? I only ask because it seemed like the car still had more than enough power left in it. Also, the low voltage cutoff on the ESC was off...so that should have nothing to do with it right? ...
Even though you are using NiMh batteries with the ESC's LVC turned off, the receiver also will sense low voltage. I don't think there is an issue, seeing as you are getting 15 minutes of run time. If the receiver were to start flashing red @ the 5 minute mark, then I'd be worried.

Tires. One can always use some new tires.