Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

what 1/8th buggy would be competitive against what we already have?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

what 1/8th buggy would be competitive against what we already have?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 AM
The Saylors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what 1/8th buggy would be competitive against what we already have?

Hey Guys!,

Back from a long rc break with a new question to get everyone's undies in a bundle. So my cousin and i have been able to get back into playing with our 1/8th scale buggies at the track and have managed to get another friend involved! He currently has his first slash, but after seeing our buggies in action he more than wants one. So here is my question: With me having the TA 8.2e and my cousin having the Losi 8ght, what buggy should we recommend for him to get that is going to be able to compete with ours while also being fair (no huge advantages). He is a total RTR guy for now (i know i tried to talk him into a kit but he gets little free time and would rather spend it playing) so something that comes with little or no work out of the box is a must. I know this comes down to a lot of preference but i still wanna hear what everyone has to say. We were thinking the Ofna sse but i have no experience with that brand so i'm leary without prior backing although reviews are making me lean that way. Price mark is in the $500-$600 range before tax. We also looked at the kyosho infernos as well but there seems to be discrepancies between the different setups for reliability which is a big deal to him so i felt unsure about that one. Also looked at the hpi but all of the vids i found ended in a handful of broken parts. Can't wait to hear from you guys!!

Have a good one!

Alex
Old 01-10-2017, 09:56 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ofna has gone bye bye. It's HoBao now. I have a HoBao Hyper 10 TT and a Hyper 10 SC. I love them. The TT is built like an 8th scale truggy, but is a small-ish tenth scale. After installing T-Bone Racing bumpers, it proved to be a tough little truggy. Suspension arms are the only thing you'll break, which is a good thing. I'd imagine that the 8th scale Hypers are even tougher. Definitely put it on your short list.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:51 AM
The Saylors

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Ofna has gone bye bye. It's HoBao now. I have a HoBao Hyper 10 TT and a Hyper 10 SC. I love them. The TT is built like an 8th scale truggy, but is a small-ish tenth scale. After installing T-Bone Racing bumpers, it proved to be a tough little truggy. Suspension arms are the only thing you'll break, which is a good thing. I'd imagine that the 8th scale Hypers are even tougher. Definitely put it on your short list.
Thank you for clearing up the hobao thing. i was kinda wondering as i knew a few companies have been trading hands and changing names.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:23 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by The Saylors
...We were thinking the Ofna sse but i have no experience with that brand so i'm leary without prior backing although reviews are making me lean that way...
I would have no qualms with the purchase of the HoBao Hyper SSe. That was the original buggy I wanted to get, and then the newer model, the Hyper VSe, came out. That's when Ofna called it quits, and Tower Hobbies never got shipment of buggy to fill my Hyper VSe order. Which lead me to go in search of an eBuggy on eBay. Which lead me to my Associated RC8.2e.

I was gonna suggest the Associated RC8.2e, as that thing is a beast, but after checking Tower Hobbies...Out Of Stock. Then I checked Associated's site...Out Of Stock .

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-10-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:51 PM
The Saylors

Ya and the 8.2e is what i have (it is a beast and i frickin love it lol), if he didn't want to have something other than what we have i would have told him the same thing. That buggy has totally converted me into a buggy lover lol. Just as a side note to anyone looking at the 8.2e i happened to finally break my first part after having it for for a few months. Came off a jump sideways and hit the underside of the stairs going up to the drivers stand pretty hard (the whole track let out a gasp). Cost me 11 dollars for a set of shock shafts, such an awesome rig!! i think i would have to literally shoot it to kill it. Good to see you're still on here rusty!
Old 01-10-2017, 05:20 PM
RustyUs

The Armma Typhon has to be put on the list to look at as well. I would think it could hold its own on the track, but probably geared more towards "bashing" crowd. Serpent, SWorks...heck, there's so many 1/8 scale buggies that have potential.

Last edited by RustyUs; 01-10-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:22 AM
The Saylors

Originally Posted by RustyUs
The Armma Typhon has to be put on the list to look at as well. I would think it could hold its own on the track, but probably geared more towards "bashing" crowd. Serpent, SWorks...heck, there's so many 1/8 scale buggies that have potential.
That's why i came to an impass! So many look well built and are well liked by their users so it's been hard to single one out. We told him last night to check out the hobao/ofna so we'll see if he pulls the trigger.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:25 PM
Ballinonabudget

I'm going with a typhon this spring. After lots of research it's quite appealing. Sworks was another buggy I liked. But like you said, there are so many out there and are well liked by the users. It was hard for me to narrow it down but I think the typhon will be right for me.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:46 AM
jk6672

I just started getting back into it again because of my daughter, but I may have to downgrade to use the local indoor track with her. I love my XRAY 808E. The XRAY XB8E looks good.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:46 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by jk6672
I just started getting back into it again because of my daughter, but I may have to downgrade to use the local indoor track with her. I love my XRAY 808E. The XRAY XB8E looks good.
I didn't know Xray had a RTR. Just kidding

Originally Posted by The Saylors
Hey Guys!,

Back from a long rc break with a new question to get everyone's undies in a bundle. So my cousin and i have been able to get back into playing with our 1/8th scale buggies at the track and have managed to get another friend involved! He currently has his first slash, but after seeing our buggies in action he more than wants one. So here is my question: With me having the TA 8.2e and my cousin having the Losi 8ght, what buggy should we recommend for him to get that is going to be able to compete with ours while also being fair (no huge advantages). He is a total RTR guy for now (i know i tried to talk him into a kit but he gets little free time and would rather spend it playing) so something that comes with little or no work out of the box is a must. I know this comes down to a lot of preference but i still wanna hear what everyone has to say. We were thinking the Ofna sse but i have no experience with that brand so i'm leary without prior backing although reviews are making me lean that way. Price mark is in the $500-$600 range before tax. We also looked at the kyosho infernos as well but there seems to be discrepancies between the different setups for reliability which is a big deal to him so i felt unsure about that one. Also looked at the hpi but all of the vids i found ended in a handful of broken parts. Can't wait to hear from you guys!!

Have a good one!

Alex
Old 01-20-2017, 02:07 PM
The Saylors

Originally Posted by RustyUs
I didn't know Xray had a RTR. Just kidding
Lol you can be so cheeky
Old 01-21-2017, 04:18 AM
RustyUs

I'll admit I jump in places (threads) after it (the thread) takes a complete turn in another direction, and/or I don't even read first post.

About the only 1/8 scale RTR buggies that I would not purchase, are the ones with spotty parts support.