Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New Esc & Motor Combo for my Savage

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 09:01 AM
Billiam88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Esc & Motor Combo for my Savage

I picked up a Savage XS Flux used and beat on it for a bit till the stock Vapor Pro esc went up in smoke taking the motor with it. (I guess it's fairly common?)

​​​​​​My son and I love taking our trucks out and now he's all bummed cause he has to drive alone lol

I bought a Hobbywing Quicrun Sensored 10BL120A + 3650 G2 10.5T 3600kv combo for ~$85 and now I'm having doubts if it's gonna be enough motor for the Savage XS.

It's going to be strictly for bashing, jumps, grass and the occasional speed run.
Needs to be quick enough to beat our Mini E-revo VXL 😂

I'd appreciate any/all input.
You're welcome to tell me if I screwed up hopefully followed up by your better suggestions!

Last edited by Billiam88; 06-09-2020 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:44 PM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking at the combos from Hobbywing , you could have got a lower kv motor ( no good on 2S ) or a higher kv motor ( no good on 3S ) .
So I think you chose well !
Should last on 2S or 3S .
120A might be over spec but if it fits , there is no drama there .
Start with the stock gearing first . Then maybe bump the pinion gear up a tooth or 2 .
The following users liked this post:
Billiam88 (06-08-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 03:56 AM
Billiam88

Originally Posted by seedygreenute
Looking at the combos from Hobbywing , you could have got a lower kv motor ( no good on 2S ) or a higher kv motor ( no good on 3S ) .
So I think you chose well !
Should last on 2S or 3S .
120A might be over spec but if it fits , there is no drama there .
Start with the stock gearing first . Then maybe bump the pinion gear up a tooth or 2 .
Thankyou for the reply!!
Glad I didn't screw up! Lol

When I bump the pinion gear up a tooth or 2 that will help increase top speed but will raise the Temps a bit... Correct?
Old 06-10-2020, 01:46 AM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Spot on !
You may be able to go bigger.
Temp gun is a cheap tool to get .

Old 07-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Billiam88

So, I ended up going with a different combo after it was brought up that the sensored combo I bought isn't waterproof ( I'm dumb!)

Went with the EZ-Run 60A MAX10 3652 4000kv Combo with digital Program Box.
I also finished upgrading the steering, Turnbuckles and the top camber adjustment arms (huge difference in the steering... It's almost too quick/direct!! 😁

Took it out about 2wks ago... What a difference from the stock system!!!
I had to turn it down cause it was pretty violent (compared to what Ive been used to driving)

Had an issue in the grass tho... If it was moving, it was tear the grass up crazy!
If it was still and tried to move, it would barely crawl then shut off!

Someone suggested trying to change the oem 28/56 to 28/60...problem solved!

Took it out yesterday. 5 min into bashing, I let my son have a try, aaaand it's broke!! 😂
The the dogbone spun inside the rear cup and bent the sides of the cup apart shredding the end of the cup and the hub.

Thankfully I found a set of 4 oem hubs with the cups for under $20 us.

Lets see what breaks next!!

I'm thinking the rear diff (considering it's already missing a tooth on the ring gear!!

I tried to post up some pics... But I guess I can't yet... 😔

​​​
Old 07-07-2020, 07:03 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the time, if you're breaking driveline parts, it's because your clutch is too tight.
The clutch should slip before you damage cups and such.
Maybe you should turn down the throttle end point before handing the transmitter to your son. ;-)