Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash 4x4 Drivetrain Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 05:47 PM
mblaide

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Slash 4x4 Drivetrain Noise

I have 2 Slash 4x4's, both VXL and both stock. Around 5 or 6 years old. One rolls back and forth smooth and fairly quietly. The other makes gear noise from both front and rear gear boxes. I pulled the front end apart and the gears look fine, bearings are smooth, so I cleaned and re-greased. I pulled off the spur/pinion cover and noticed that the spur gear wobbles a bit when I roll it. I loosened the motor a moved it to separate the pinion from the spur. The gear noise is still there. The car always seemed to run hotter than the smooth one.

I'll pull the back end apart this weekend, but do you guys have any experience in making them run smoother or what to check? Maybe something got out of alignment or possibly bent over the years? The drive shaft doesn't wobble.The diffs feel smooth when you rotate 1 wheel and the other wheel spins the opposite direction.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:33 PM
GBNova

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve just got back into RC after a long time off. I got a basic Rustler to spec it out to my taste and felt the drivetrain was noisy too. I don’t think it’s the gear box or even the stock drive shafts, I think it’s the pinion and spur. I may have just forgotten how loud a pinion and spur are. Not sure if there are quieter options but I’m all ears.