Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Looking to get my first 1/8 buggy. Looking for difference in handling of brands.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Looking to get my first 1/8 buggy. Looking for difference in handling of brands.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 12:43 PM
Paredez77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get my first 1/8 buggy. Looking for difference in handling of brands.

As the title says. I’m looking to get my first 1/8 buggy. I have a 1/10 rn but the tracks around me are more for 1/8 and I want to get into racing. I’ll be buying my first kit soon. Selling my dirt bike to get the money. I’ll also be going on a road trip for several weeks across the country and trying the buggy on all sorts of tracks. I was wondering what a good buggy would be. But I don’t want to make a whole one brand is better than the rest kind of conversation. Just wondering what the difference in handling of the buggies is. I’m looking at TLR or Tekno specifically but any other brands are fine too. More info the better. Thank you! 😊
Old 04-10-2022, 07:00 PM
bill_delong

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I recommend visiting the local track first and get what the most popular brand is. Make sure the on site shop carries parts or there are 1 or more team drivers who have plenty of parts available.

I recently raced at Callahan Raceway in Florida and TEKNO was the most popular brand there by a long shot, I actually have a TEKNO build thread here that might be worth checking out:I would eventually switch of the HB Racing for reasons listed here:
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/...864/post-17986

After making the switch I would learn that HB tends to offer more stability where I can run full droop and not worry about traction rolls... my TEKNO absolutely had to have droop set or you risk snap oversteer with traction rolls. I could dial back the setup for stability but the car would drop off pace where HB makes up that little difference for my driving style. A more aggressive driver may prefer the handling of TEKNO and could turn faster laps provided their reaction skill is faster, I need an "old man" setup, ha!

No matter what brand you get they are all gonna have issues to address where I call out many things on the TEKNO thread.

For HB, they don't have quick access diffs, but it's not that much extra effort to remove a couple extra screws. The pins on the center drive shafts wear fast and need to be replaced every 3-5 race days, though pins are cheap so long as you invest in a pin replacement tool:
I don't have experience driving TLR but I know a couple fast drivers in my area that that can wheel them around very nicely, only thing I see is they tend to get a DNF a little more frequently than TEKNO or HB

Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by bill_delong; 04-10-2022 at 07:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Paredez77 (04-10-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 04:27 PM
Tamiyaguy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am old skool so I would consider Kyosho. The Inferno range has both electric and nitro as well as RTR and some of the finest kits in the business.
The following users liked this post:
Paredez77 (04-27-2022)