Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya Hot Shot Reissue Build Xmas 2023 . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 08:01 PM
krispy378

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tamiya Hot Shot Reissue Build Xmas 2023 . . .

Greetings, Merry Belated Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to everyone 2023 going into 2024! My son and I have a few builds coming up and we are going to start with a reissue of the classic Tamiya Hot Shot. I found a very nice, practically new vintage Futaba Attack-R stick type 2 AM channel radio system, NOS vintage Whiplash matched GP3300 NiMH 6 cell package to build into a stick pack, a new Tamiya Super Stock RZ brushed motor and a very nice condition vintage Novak Millennium DC peak charger. Should be alot of fun to build and really looking forward to running this Hot Shot. Had a reissue from like 2008 ish and really enjoyed the car and the build. A very dense mechanical machine in design, something i always liked. Its amazing to me that nearly 40 years have come and gone since the Hot Shot was released. A good design and good effort will always be just that. You can reinvent the wheel so to speak. And you can improve upon things ultimately. But, i have a place for these older vehicles, in a similar sense to actual full size classic cars. Classic is always classic. Cheers and best wishes to all going forward in the new year to come and keep having fun with RC!🙂🏁

Last edited by krispy378; 12-31-2023 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Added pictures.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:28 PM
krispy378

Old 01-02-2024, 06:47 PM
krispy378

Whoops, got the pix out of order. But, here are some gearbox and rear suspension arms with the anti roll bar links. This is a fun build! Thinking of what esc to go with. I have a few choices. The stock TBLE-02s, a Duratrax Streak (12T Limit) , and a Novak 410-M5. I would like to go with the stock Tamiya TBLE-02s, but i think the Super Stock RZ Motor might be a tad too much, dont want it to cut out / thermal trip. The Duratrax and Novak will handle the motor fine, but these are forward only. I put the 13 tooth pinion in there for low gearing, hopefully that will keep things cool enough. If it trips with the TBLE-02s i can swap esc out. Wanna try to have this up and running this weekend . . .
Old 01-06-2024, 05:35 PM
krispy378

I got the car together with the wheels and tires on. The radio is installed and the esc is also. It turns out this Hot Shot reissue came with a Hobbywing 60 brushed esc. Its rated for 2S - 3S lipo battery. That should handle the Super Stock RZ motor with no trouble at all. Its nice to have forward, brake and reverse for a basher. (Btw, im not bashing this! Its the use vs abuse thing...)
As of now i feel the car is under geared with the 13t pinion. Gonna put the 15t pinion in there...Happy RC !
Old 01-08-2024, 02:36 AM
Evo_KnEvo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That’s VERY cool.
Old 01-08-2024, 02:45 AM
krispy378

I got lucky with the esc thing. I really didn't want to do a forward only speed control...