Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Gearing questions on a 4S brushless converted Revo 3.3

Old 05-27-2024, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing questions on a 4S brushless converted Revo 3.3

Hey guys, got Traxxas Revo 3.3 that Ive converted from nitro to 4S brushless and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get this car to run sorta like a Traxxas E-Revo 2.0 on 4S. It has a HobbyWing Max 8 G2 combo with the larger 2250 KV motor.

Now, I realize I can't just run a 15T pinion/54T spur or a 16T pinion/46T spur due to the differences in transmission gearing being that my trans is still geared the way it was for nitro minus the fact that its been locked into second gear but there should be something I can do to get close to the final drive ratio of a 2.0 E Revo.

Right now I'm running a 17T pinion and the stock 38T spur gear for a 2.23:1 ratio but I did order a 19 tooth and a 20 tooth pinion to try with a 36T spur to see how a 1.89:1 ratio works with a 19/36 combo and a 1.80:1 ratio works with the 20/36 gears so hopefully thats enough to make it a little less on the torque. I am running a center diff in this car but even with 20 million weight "fluid", it still tries to spin the front wheels a little faster than the rear.

Any help? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	2274294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0652.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	2274295  
Old 05-29-2024, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update- I did get my 36T spur in yesterday but since someone at Amazon screwed up and sent me the wrong pinion, I'll have to wait until Friday to get my 20T pinion but I did decide to go ahead and slap on the new spur to try with the 17T pinion I already have for a new ratio that went from a 2.23 to 1 ratio with the 38T spur I had down to a 2.12 to 1 ratio and uh, nothing really changed much but then I figured I might try reconnecting the program box to my Hobbywing Max8 ESC to check the settings and I guess I didn't know what I was doing when I first got it because I had set the punch to level 9 and after lowering that to the default of 5, that tamed the accelerations down a little bit to where it doesnt really try as hard now to flip itself over backwards if the wheelie bar wasn't present but I think I'm still going to try the 20T pinion when it comes in.