Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Cheap off-road truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 07:46 PM
tr6_guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap off-road truck?

I have an XXX-T RTR truck that I'm very fond of but I'm still a bit of a noob at this hobbie so I don't know a lot about other models. A couple months back I was showing the truck to a freind of mine and his son. His son, of course, thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I think the kid is about 12 years old. Now, not surprisingly, when asked whet he wants for Christmas, his response is "I want the truck like that one we saw last fall". Probelm is my friend isn't too keen on spending $270 for an RC truck for his son.

I'd expect he'd be OK spending $150 but the price tag on my XXX-T just about gave him a heart attack. Any suggestions on a decent RTR off-road car/truck for him to buy?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:44 PM
spooner

Default RE: Cheap off-road truck?

tr6 i just got the electric rustler and its a pretty good truck so far...$169..spooner
Old 11-30-2003, 05:31 PM
off-roadkill

do u want rtr
Old 11-30-2003, 08:34 PM
smmetz

He mentioned that he wants RTR. I think the T3 RTR trucks are cheaper than they were a few months ago, around $160 or $170. If you want something more off road than a stadium truck, for a cheap price, consider the Stampede, with ESC for around the same price. It has bigger tires, and more than double the ground clearance, so it will handle rougher terrain, but will not corner as well. There is also the Evader, for around the same price, it's another stadium truck, based on an older design (XX-T), some say it has lower quality plastics that may break easier, but it comes with bearings all around (that's a $20-$30 upgrade on the T3 or Stampede), and it comes with a warrentee were you can send in broken parts for free replacement for a year.

Anyway, if your friends budget is in the $150 price range, I hope that is just for the RTR kit, and he realizes that a couple battery packs and an OK charger are gonna cost around 100 (for bashing quality stuff).
Old 11-30-2003, 08:34 PM
tr6_guy

Yes, RTR would be the ticket. This guy and his son know next to nothing about this hobby, I would imagine whatever he buys will be used almost exclusively for bashing.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:05 PM
smmetz

Oh yeah, like Spooner said, the rustler is another stadium truck, and it's supposed to be good for bashing. I see that tower hobbies has it with an ESC in an RTR kit for $150. If he want to go REALLY cheap with the batteries and charger, he can get the combo from tower for around $190.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:12 PM
spooner

yes i got mine for $170 and then went to H.P.'s 6 day sell and picked up the e-maxx twin 2400 batts, and the blackwidow pro charger. also "AA" for TX,total $95..had a blast today bashing with the family...after a few hard landings and big flips, the only thing wrong was the rear wing came off...anyway thats my story..spoon
Old 12-01-2003, 11:05 AM
Clod
My Feedback: (-1)

haev a look at a stampede kit on market place brand new for $35 then get all the other bits u want!!??!!
Old 12-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Sceadu Flyer
My Feedback: (6)

I have had really good luck with the Duratrax Evader. I race it nearly weekly with a P2K2 pro and it does quite well. It also seems to be quite durable, and parts/upgrades are really cheap as well as readily available.

Good Luck
Sceadu Flyer
Old 12-01-2003, 04:12 PM
**MilkMachine**

For that amount of money theres only a limited amount of Electric cars to choose from. If you want speed and looks go with the Electric Traxxas Rustler! I don't know one person that had are has an Electric Rustler and Isnt happy with it!
ARE
If you want ground clearance and bigger tires out of the box go with the Traxxas Electric Stampede!
I Would go with the Rustler but its your chose!
Old 12-16-2003, 04:10 PM
rustlerman1

Hey, im lookin at a rustler combo that includes everything for around 160,duratrx pirahna battery 1500mah, some charger and the car for around 160 at omnimodels.com.
begginerrcer