Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Newbie Electric Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Electric Advice

Ok, I'm fairly new to R/C cars, and I'm wanting to get some advice. I am planning to purchase a new R/C car/truck. I would like the ability to race it; however, most of my time will be in the park, back yard, etc.

I definitely want a kit that I can build as opposed to RTR. Mainly because I think that is a good way to get acquainted with it, and it seems like a fun project.

I'm thinking of getting:

Team Associated RC10T3 Factory Team Kit

I'd like to know if this is a decent vehicle for me to start with. My main criterion is that it have a wide selection of upgrades for future use as I learn more about the hobby. I don't want to invest in a car that will not allow me to grow as I become more familiar.

I'd also like to know recommendations on the following:[*]Radio[*]Servos[*]ESC[*]Battery[*]Charger[*]Motor (turns, winds, and brand)[*]Anything I've not mentioned that is important

Also, if you think this is not a good vehicle to start with, then please give me some alternate suggestions. I apologize for the newbie questions, but as I said, I'd like to make an informed decision. I did try searching first, but I don't think I know enough yet to search very well. TIA!

EDIT: Obviously cost is a factor, but I'm willing to spend a little more now to ensure that the products I've purchased won't become obsolete, and that I will be able to advance with my setup in the future.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:06 PM

Default RE: Newbie Electric Advice

Yes, I kit will be great for you. It will get you fimilar with the car! And yes, I would strongly reccomed the RC10T4 for a first car! It is very lightweight and has a great durability rate.
When you say what are your recomendations for the following things, I take it you want to know what to get. So I will help!

Radio-Airtonics BL2DR radio. It is a great radio! It includes the Rceiver, servo, and the radio!! Thats the cheapest radio you can get!! And it includes half the stuff you need!! Heres a link:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCFW0**&P=7

Sevos-Included with Radio

ESC- I would get a Duratrax Streak ESC handles down to a 12T motor EXCELENT ESC! Heres a link:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD523&P=7

Batterys-Since this is your first car I would get some Pre-Made batterys. If you are on a budjet I would get some 1500 are 2400 batterys: Here are some links:
1500 Battery:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD161&P=7
2400 Battery:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXST62&P=7

Ok as a charger I would get this charger! Heres a link:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD548&P=7

Motor- I would get a Speed Gems 13T double High performance motor! : heres a link:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCNE5&P=7

There I hope that helps!! Took me a long time to type and look all of it up! But ill go out of my way for newbs!![8D]
Post if you have anymore quetions!!

O yah I tottaled all that stuff out and your looking at- $236.93 + tax
I know its alot but thats as good as it gets unless you want to go with the crappy materials! But I can find some cheaper stuff if you want me to!

Hope that helps!
Old 12-01-2003, 06:33 PM

That is great information! I appreciate all of your effort. I do have a couple of more questions. First, I noticed that you chose NiCD batteries instead of NiMH. Is there a reason? Also, money isn't that big of a deal, so if you think there is an even better battery than the 2400mAH then I'd appreciate that information as well. That is actually less that I anticipated, so it's looking good. Thanks again for the great advice!
Old 12-01-2003, 06:48 PM
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: SirJeepALot

That is great information! I appreciate all of your effort. I do have a couple of more questions. First, I noticed that you chose NiCD batteries instead of NiMH. Is there a reason? Also, money isn't that big of a deal, so if you think there is an even better battery than the 2400mAH then I'd appreciate that information as well. That is actually less that I anticipated, so it's looking good. Thanks again for the great advice!
mikes advice is nice, but you said you wanted to race. None of that is racer worthy... If you want more info about that, jus ask, if not and that stuff is fine for you, then leave it be.

As for NIMH, you can get them very cheap anymore. www.stormerhobbies.com has 4 of them for 100$ (racers edge brand). That'd be great to start you off.
Old 12-01-2003, 07:08 PM

If you want to race then you need some better stuff! lol Here ill hook you up right now::

Radio-Heres a race readdy radio Heres a link:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCHA7**&P=7

Charger- Heres a NICE charger!! It charges 2 batterys at once!! Heres a link:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXG87&P=7

Batterys- here if you have money get a few 3300 batterys. there about 50.00 a pack pre-made.

Hay motor ESC! get a brushless! Motor and ESC all in one! 60mph! what more can you ask for!
But its around 250.00 for the whole system
Old 12-01-2003, 07:58 PM

I definitely do want to be able to race, although, I'll want to spend some time learning the car before racing. Besides the obvious difference of AM and FM, what are the differences between the radio in your first link, and in the second link? Also, is it better to choose NiMH or NiCD? TIA.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:28 PM

NiMH is the battery to chose from.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:30 PM

O yah I forgot that you need to know about the Radios.
Well there more high tec and are 3 channel and are more ,,,,well better. lol
Old 12-01-2003, 08:52 PM
My Feedback: (1)

A 3 channel Radio is nice to own but not really needed for racing an electric stadium truck. As for Am in Fm I run both and really haven't had problems with either. You can read in other posts search "AM vs. Fm" some people really go in depth. The batteries, NiMH is the way to go, Tower is selling Epic 3000 mAh for 18.99 definitley not gp 3300's but for the price there worth it http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXERB5&P=7 . If your just an on/off racer that likes to have fun you don't need expensive batteries. I sent you a pm most that stuff is race worthy just ask around. As for the brushless I run brushless in all my vehicles now except my T3 and I'll never go back to brushed again unfortunately I can only race them in the insane class or just messing around on the local track. Stay away from that last charger get yourself one where you can adjust the charge amp rate and make sure it can handle both types of cells. I own an intellipeak charger and I am not very happy with it false peaking if I use a seperate discharger instead of the built in one.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:56 AM

One other thing that you should look at before getting the motor... see what you are allowed for the truck class at the tracks you're going to be racing at. We are only allowed to run a stock (27 turn) type motor, any battery is allowed for our trucks but mine and the two other fastest trucks there all run a 6 cell 2400 pack... A couple of good 3300 packs will be enough to start with since a really good 2400 pack is really hard to find now. I haven't run an associated truck, most of us run a LOSI in both stock and Pro Truck classes but both the Associated or LOSI will be a top of the line truck to race with and parts are usually easy to find at the LHS. We all run our trucks on carpet or asphalt oval tracks, the offroad type of tracks may have classes for the faster motors. Get a good charger right off, something that will charge at 6 amps, you'd be further ahead to find a good used Competition Electronics Turbo 30 or 35 right off since they are a top of the line charger and will also cycle your batteries, controlled discharge and power any lathe or brush serrator you might get, it'll also break in your motor after a rebuild. I just saw a really nice Turbo 30 go for $130.0 on ebay but it'll be the best money you'll ever spend on a good charger and it'll not lose it's value if you want to sell it.

As far as radios, do yourself a favor and get at least an FM radio or more preferrably a PCM, especially since you're wanting to race with it, a couple of glitches or interference during a race or even bashing in the street and it'll cost you more for parts than the extra a good radio will run you. The better radios will also allow more cars to be run on it, you can have different settings for different tracks or more than one car with all it's setting programmed in.

Servo, try and get a steel gear servo, a couple of good hits with those big tires sticking our will strip the nylon gears in a cheaper servo. Usually a decent servo will run about $50.00 or so ... well worth it especially for someone new to open wheel vehicles, it can get tough in a race running close or bumping a solid berm or barrier.

Good Luck with your new truck

Topstrap