Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 08:22 AM
studysession

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber

Where can I get a good deal on sheets of carbon fiber to make a custom chassis for a pan car?

Please post links.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:58 PM
IhrtTamiya

Default RE: Carbon Fiber

do you have any body shops around? go find one of them or an automotive store. they should carry the resin and everthing you need. if you have to, ask for scraps. if you cant find carbon fibre anywhere then go to your home improvement store and look for fibre glass and resin.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:08 PM
studysession

Thansk - There should be places on the net to order carbon fiber sheets to cut custom parts. You hear of people doing it all the time, I just want links to where these sheets can be ordered from???
Old 02-28-2004, 04:40 PM
griff609
My Feedback: (1)

I was gonna reply earlier but the link was on my other computer, this is the best place to get carbon rods, plates, ect..

http://www.arts-hobby.com/store/item...pid=1&pcatid=0
Old 02-28-2004, 04:56 PM
studysession

This might work:

http://www.fuelcellstore.com/cgi-bin...t=36/subcat=58
Old 02-28-2004, 05:15 PM
studysession

Grif 0 you think those are strong enough for what i am doing? How think do you think it would need to be, and how thick you think some custom battery bar straps for a TC3 would need to be?
Old 02-28-2004, 05:21 PM
griff609

3mm is very thick for a chassis just look around almost all aftermarket graphite chassis are 2.5 or 3mm
Old 02-29-2004, 12:18 AM
sleepy23

defiantly do 3mm on the chassis. my IRS cf chassis on my tc3 is 3mm, the chassis i have been designing was out of like 2.3mm and with the tc3 setup, it tends to droop and/or flex to much. as for the battery straps, some like 2mm would be fine. just curious, but do you plan o Cad'ing your new chassis or just sorda doit as you go?
Old 02-29-2004, 01:38 AM
Gecko

Studysession, make sure you find out what type of carbon fiber it is. Do not get "Wet" carbon for an R/C. Try to find "dry" carbon. Some reasons behind this is that "dry" carbon is made with the epoxy in the fibers already (it stays refrigerated untill it is "baked"). Making it stiffer, stronger, and lighter then "wet". "Wet" carbon is just a carbon fiber sheet that has had epoxy poured on it which makes it heavier and a little less stiff then the "dry".

Gecko
Old 02-29-2004, 03:53 AM
studysession

Gecko - good info, thanks!

Sleepy - I assume you mean the design? I usually hand draw everything. May sound weird, but I will do everything with a cheap plastic sheet I have first, line it up and see how it fits then redo everything with carbon fiber once I have what I want..
Old 02-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Speedmunkey
Banned

No, making a prototype out of less expensive materials doesn't seem weird. That's how designs SHOULD be done. Hey, if you want to scan your sketch and send it to me, I'll be happy to CAD it for you. That's what I do for a living. Make sure you dimension it completely. I can also help you refine the design structurally if you want. Drop me a pm if yer interested.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:02 AM
studysession

Thanks - RIght now I am in very early stage. Still trying to deside on which 1/10 scale pan car. Been surfing and comparing - seems like Associates rules in this class of cars.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:02 PM
sleepy23

oh there is NO doubt that its good to prototype out of cheap material. I am about to do that myself as soon as 1 more part comes in so i can model it.

Then i am gonna start modelling my stadium truck design that will spank the "speedmonkey"
haha, couldnt resist. Hey speed, you use solidworks right? ever installed and used the "print 3d" option?
Old 02-29-2004, 01:19 PM
vince newton

I was actually just looking for a place to buy sheets of graphite or carbon fiber and was having no luck, so this forum had the perfect links!

I want to cut a chassis plate for one of my drag cars. What do you guys suggest when cutting the plate? Also, how would I be able to cut the battery slots, extra without cutting through the whole plate, know what I mean? Which tools would I need, or is there a place I could sent it out too, along with the design and have them cut it?

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2004, 01:53 PM
studysession

For the battery slots, I was planning on dremel. Probably not the best way, but figure can do a clean job with the right bit.
Old 02-29-2004, 07:38 PM
sleepy23

dremel will defiantly work, but will also take some extra effort to make it look good. Once i finish my design, i know a guy that should be able to laser cut my cf chassis. If anyone is intrested, if you can give me an idea of what you want i can see if he can quote it.