Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

spending 400 on new car.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 10:32 PM
DigiT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spending 400 on new car.

Hey a buddy of mine has around 400 to blow on a new rc car.. (I dont know much about cars just trucks) he wants the fastest rdy to run or kit that is easy to put togather for that price cannot go over 500... What do you guys recomind?

He has the need for some super speed or atleast as fast as he can go.. Also he wants elec.

thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 10:49 PM
nownnew

Default RE: spending 400 on new car.

At that price, try a TC3 RTR. It should be worth the money and he'll still have a hundred dollars or more left over for any hop-ups he should want.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:51 PM
FED

T4

and get racing pinion 6 set, under 400 v high quality

just a sugestion, im pretty green[:'(]
Old 05-06-2004, 10:54 PM
DigiT

talk to me like im an idot please, t4? tc3 is team associated right?

sorry for being dumb.. like I said I know NOTHING about onraod rc. Also what would a ruff speed of these run?
Old 05-06-2004, 10:58 PM
DigiT

I started looking up the tc3's and there are alot of them.. how do you know which rtr is the fastest?
Old 05-06-2004, 11:13 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

It sounds as if you are saying car and not truck, so I'm assuming you are looking at touring cars such as the Associated TC3 of the Losi XXX-S.

If this is the case they are going to be about the same speed, which for a beginner will be OK for a while. These cars will top out around 22-23 mph and be an excellent platform to builld on. If he want's fast you will need to upgrade the motor and ESC right away.

Between the TC3 and the XXX-S they give you several options.

The Associated TC3 will give you shaft drive, good electronics and parts availability almost anywhere.

The Losi XXX-S will give you belt drive, better electronics and less parts availability.

Your best bet would be the Associated since it's a little cheaper than the Losi and you are going to have to purchase batteries and a charger.

In this case I would suggest the following:

Associated TC3 RTR - $240.00
Duratrax Digital Peak charger - $95.00
4 epic 3000 mAh batteries - $72.00 (for for at $18.00 each)

That would put you at around $400.00

If you want speed then I would also add an Mtroniks Tempo Esc (good to 11 turns) around $50.00 and an 11 turn Speed Gems Pro motor around $35.00. Add in a pinion set (RRP odd or even 6 pinion set) for $13.00.

That would put you at the $500.00 mark and with the 11 turn set up you would have speeds in the upper 30mph range.

If however you were looking at trucks or buggies I would go with the Associated T4 or the B4 depending if you want a truck or buggy. You can pick those up for around $230.00 to $240.00. Use the same option equipment with these if you wanted to pick up a truck or buggy.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:27 PM
DigiT

thank you so much for clearing the smoke.. yes I am talking about touring cars...
Old 05-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Unspoken

nitro 4-tec is supposed to go 60 MPH.probably handles pretty crappy at such high speeds though.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:40 PM
DigiT

nice, but my buddy doesnt want nitro for some reason

Hey if I wanted to suggest a rtr tc3 and get a brushless motor what eles would my friend need?
Old 05-07-2004, 12:16 AM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

you could always look at the Associated rc10l3t. Its a pan car setup for touring conditions. The one i am getting rid of topped out at 78mph with a novak brushless. that translates into about 60mph out on the road. super fast, would LIGHT up the tires, but was pretty had to drive. tc3 is a very good car and with a brushless you can push it to say 50's. The T4 is also very good, you can run on road or offroad with it and it handles very well.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:38 AM
Wookie

DigiT,

By going brushless you are going to have to up the amount that he is willing to spend. They are great, but can have their problems as well. For speed it will give you instant high speeds.

The Novak system will run you around $230.00 by it's self, no car or anything else.

It all depends on if your friend has batteries and a charger. The nice thing about the RTR packages is for a beginer you get everything you need to run except batteries and a charger for a good price. The electronics won't be as good, but for the most part they are acceptable.

If he were to go with a Novak brushless I would suggest he up the limt to around $600 or so which would cover the charger and batteries that I mentioned before, but would also include the Associated TC3 and Novak Brushless.

You could also figure if geared correctly on 6 cells he would see speeds in the upper 30mph to low 40mph range. It would also accelerate like a rocket and would probably satisy your friends need for speed.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:38 AM
frailcow

I agree with Wookie, except for the bit on the batteries. Get 2 high quality gp3300's from www.promatchracing.com for about $40 each. This is much better value in my opinion than getting four low quality batteries.

Even better, try it for yourself. Get one pack from promatch and one of those epic packs and feel the difference. If you don't think its worthwhile paying for the expensive packs, buy on or two more budget packs. If you can feel the extra punch and longer runtime of high quality batteries, stick with them and enjoy the benefits. For speed, you may also wish to consider 7 cell batteries.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:11 AM
JordanT

I say tell him to get a tamiya tb-02 with a brushless setup. The kit costs about 160$ and the novak brushless motor and esc can be had for about 230$ That leaves him with a little over 100$ for radio gear. This keeps your friend within his budget and gives him a pretty fast car. Should do about 35-40mph. Plus since he's a newbie the brushless motor means that there is virtualy no maintenance which is obviously a good thing.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:35 AM
Speedmunkey
Banned

I agree on the brushless suggestions. While the BL setup does initally cost more, cutting the comm, replacing the springs and brushes on a brushed motor will QUICKLY catch up and exceed anything saved by going brushed. My motor guy charges my $12 a pop to rebuild my motors and you can figure a hot mod motor (anything less than a 15 or so) is going to need rebuilding weekly if you run a lot.. In 5 weeks, he will have covered the difference between a good ESC and motor, and the BL system..
Old 05-07-2004, 09:37 AM
DigiT

once again I will explain this all to my neighbor and let him know whats up... price and everything...

You guys ahve been a big help.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:21 PM
tamiya
My Feedback: (13)

Man Just get a gas car I RECOMMEND HPI RS4 RTR3 EVO
Old 05-07-2004, 04:05 PM
Wookie

Frailcow,

I do agree with you about the batteries, but considering the budget his friend is on and it sounds like it's going to be more of a basher car than racing, I'd suggest he stick with the Epics for now. This gives him 4 batteries to play with instead of two and he's not going to feel as bad if he toasts an $18.00 pack compared to a $40+ matched pack since he is a beginner.

The Epics should give him a good 6-9 months of usage and by that time he will know if he is going to stay in the hobby or not. If he is sucked in like most people, making the jump to a nice set of matched GP3300 batteries won't be a big deal at that time.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:55 PM
frailcow

Yeh I get your point, but its kind of a bummer to have to shop for something you already have 4 of! If he gets one of each he can at least see the difference before buying a stack of batteries.

Maybe I'm just a little bitter, I've had pretty bad luck the last couple of cheap packs I ever bought.