Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

upgrading tamiya TA-04R

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 02:57 AM
addy89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading tamiya TA-04R

Hey

Ive had my TA-04R For about 3 weeks now and i want to upgrade something what should i upgrade first.... and is there any advantage to swappin carbon reinforced resin parts with anodised aluminium....

btw the motor is a tamiya 540-J (silver Can)
the esc is a mtriniks sonik 3 tempo 11 turn
and the servos are futaba 3003

thanx

this is my car
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87662.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	133552  
Old 05-18-2004, 06:57 AM
briandf21

Default RE: upgrading tamiya TA-04R

upgrade steering servos- definitely. 9402- or other high speed, high torque- you know where to find them. Maybe look for metal gears... Luckily for us (rc'ers) servos are pretty much "get what you pay for". A nicer servo will just cost more... Something to think about when purchasing
Old 05-18-2004, 07:02 AM
briandf21

One more thing,
If you are planning on running this on a consistent basis, and don't have unlimited dough to spend, consider maybe saving the money until you break something. Nothing angers me more than upgrading a part and going over my budget and than have nothing left to actually fix my car when it breaks...
Remember, things break constantly. A-arms, servo savers, hub carriers-
A high cost to competetive running includes support tools (motor lathe and dyno, a good charger and power supply, rechargables for the radio, and good battery packs)- These are generally one time costs and a good thing to think about...
Old 05-19-2004, 09:25 PM
muahaha

if ur going to race club nite then get trinity stock motor kit or just get

stock 27t motor
few pinion gear
at least have 3 pack of 1900 nicd battery
and a decent charger.

this would get u through a club nite until u're ready to move on. remember in stock class it's the driver and the car setup that is more important then have a fancy car and equipment. i use to race ta04r with cheap servo, battery and etc (juz ur basic entry lvl stuff). even my speedy was juz a cheapo duratrax intellispeed 16t. but i still mange to whack ppl's arse and come home 1st.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:02 PM
tl-01 4 Life
My Feedback: (1)

Try getting a Kyosho Atom Smasher 12x2 motor and for a servo spend the money elsewhere, maybe get a s3004, it's yours w/BB's. As for the Carbon/Aluminum, the carbon is has a higher strength to weight ratio, but overall the aluminum is tougher to break. I personally like the look of the aluminum anyway.

But you should base this all on the money you're willing to spend.

Hope this helps, tl-01 4 Life
Old 05-20-2004, 01:03 AM
addy89

i sort of want to stick with the 540-j cuz thats what alot of the ppl at my track race with there are a fer with 20t and under but theĆ½ have got xrays and other ridiculously expensive cars but as you said b4 its not the car, its the driver right.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:19 AM
muahaha

yo guess wat, the kid (or guy) is quick to learn. go hot stuff. i sure u'll kick their poo poo back one day.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:16 AM
xeliman

leave the kyosho motors and take a lrp v10 spec 4 at 11 turns, stis motor can score almost 45.000 rpm,or a raven s motor at 11 turns,or if you want to be on stock race take a 11turn armature and put it on the 540j motor,hehe,the servo you own its good dont change it,upgrade also the wheel hex.with aluminium ones,and the sterring link with ball bearing alum. also ,dont change any tires the one he have its high quality.this kit comes form the factory very weel hoped up.so if you put one of the adove motors your friends wont believe their eyes[:-]