Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tire glues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire glues.

I just tried to remove a set of tires that had been factory-glued on my RTR Associated B4.

Very frustrating trying to remove the rubber from the wheels. So, two questions if anyone has any thoughts.

1) Do people try to remove glued tires from buggy wheels, or do they just buy new wheels?

2) Is there anything besides CA-based glue that will keep the tires on but allow for easy removal when they're worn out?

Thanks and regards,

Mike Ledbetter
Old 06-04-2004, 12:35 PM
ExtremeDuratrax

Default RE: Tire glues.

ORIGINAL: Mike Ledbetter

I just tried to remove a set of tires that had been factory-glued on my RTR Associated B4.

Very frustrating trying to remove the rubber from the wheels. So, two questions if anyone has any thoughts.

1) Do people try to remove glued tires from buggy wheels, or do they just buy new wheels?

2) Is there anything besides CA-based glue that will keep the tires on but allow for easy removal when they're worn out?

Thanks and regards,

Mike Ledbetter
On my old HPI Nitro MT, I used a xacto knife to separate the tires to the rim, I had to be careful to not cut the tires. I don't know if that will work for buggy wheels too...[:-]
Old 06-04-2004, 12:37 PM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

have to agree, all i did was use a knife to help cut the very edge of the tire to break it loose from the rim.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:37 PM
Mike Ledbetter

I split the tire down the middle and tried to pull each half out. The rubber tore before it would pull free and exacto-ing all the bits out is time-consuming when you want to drive.

Associated REALLY glues those babies in. I've had them soaking in alcohol for a day and still can't get the rubber off the wheels.

I just put two buggy kits together and used CA as the instructions stated. Now I'm afraid those tires won't come off either.[:'(] Is CA the only thing to use? Is there a less-permanent substitute?

Regards
Old 06-04-2004, 04:19 PM
ExtremeDuratrax

I split the tire down the middle and tried to pull each half out. The rubber tore before it would pull free and exacto-ing all the bits out is time-consuming when you want to drive.

Associated REALLY glues those babies in. I've had them soaking in alcohol for a day and still can't get the rubber off the wheels.

I just put two buggy kits together and used CA as the instructions stated. Now I'm afraid those tires won't come off either.[:'(] Is CA the only thing to use? Is there a less-permanent substitute?

Regards
If the tire removal is giving you a hard time, just go to a good local hobby store (Not HobbyTown USA if there's one near you, because their prices are like 30%-40% higher than Tower Hobbies![:'(]) and buy a new set of rims and tires...[sm=idea.gif]
Old 06-04-2004, 05:49 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Default RE: New rims.

That's what I did: just got new rims. Hate to throw the old ones away if I can still use them though.

Next time I glue tires, it will be with rubber cement, as an experiment.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:35 PM
spta97

There was another thread that says baking them in the oven at 325 for 10-12 minutes separates them flawlessly. I've got a screwed up foam so I'm gonna try it tonight.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:41 PM
WckdDudeMan

why not just buy new rims/tires

wicked
Old 06-04-2004, 09:48 PM
ExtremeDuratrax

ORIGINAL: WckdDudeMan

wicked
I already said that...[:-]
Old 06-04-2004, 10:15 PM
spta97

I can speak for the original poster but I'm not made of money. Besides, these rims and tires are new (about $80 for the set). Three of my tires are fine, but one of them is bulging at the sidewall. I'm hoping that it was just a bad glue job.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:55 PM
WckdDudeMan

oops my bad ext. i didnt read every line of it.
and where do you pay 80$ for a full set of tires? 8$ for a pair of ultralight rims for the rear, not sure on the front but should be less than the back, so thats 16$ buggy tires are 14$ for the back, not sure on the front but the most ive seen for tires is 18$ for proline truck tires.
48$ over all.... i accidentally bought rear buggy tires yesterday for 9$(proline slash tires)

wicked
Old 06-04-2004, 11:07 PM
ptarp

$$$
Old 06-04-2004, 11:23 PM
WckdDudeMan

ive played paintball and just got into rc cars, rc cars is byFAR the cheaper of the two(competitive gun starts around 400$ and competitive players can go through a case a day if not more, with a case of paint being about 60-80$), but its still not something for the people who cringe at spending a few dollars ive already hit the 200$ mark(starting off with 140$ car) without running in a single race yet, and half the fun is pulling stuff apart and looking at how it works and buying stuff to add on

wicked
Old 06-04-2004, 11:58 PM
ptarp

ive played paintball and just got into rc cars, rc cars is byFAR the cheaper of the two(competitive gun starts around 400$ and competitive players can go through a case a day if not more, with a case of paint being about 60-80$), but its still not something for the people who cringe at spending a few dollars ive already hit the 200$ mark(starting off with 140$ car) without running in a single race yet, and half the fun is pulling stuff apart and looking at how it works and buying stuff to add on

wicked
What the heck is your point?? Are you saying that we should be willing to intentionally waste money? If a wheel can be reused by some simple methods, then you would have to be one lazy SOB to just throw them away and get new ones.

Its also kinda funny that you duratrax guys are saying these things too Not to knock duratrax (being a proud owner of an evader), but they are clearly the "bargain" buggy. If money is no object, then why not buy the best?
Old 06-05-2004, 12:08 AM
WckdDudeMan

ok heres a more helpful post

are the tires any good anymore? if they are then just keep the tire/rim together and get another set. if the tire is no good just cut it off and use some ummmm acetone may not work but then again it may to remove the glue and allow you to remove the rest of the tire.

and anyways being the packrat that i am i dont throw anything away, i have blown out bits of macroline from my Pball guns in my spare parts case. if the tires are good keep them, if theyre bad why worry about screwing up the tire, just worry about saving the rims for later.

wicked
Old 06-06-2004, 11:32 AM
Mike Ledbetter

New rims for the B4 are $4 a pair, cheap compared to the risk of cutting yourself with an exacto blade (to me anyway).

A four day alcohol soak didn't take them off. Maybe they intentionally glue the RTRs that way so they can sell more rims, or am I being cynical?

Anyway, new rims already securely glued to the new tires with CA, problem solved. Next time, I'm gluing the fronts just barely and try to reuse them. The rears, I'm experimenting with rubber cement. If it will hold them on at full throttle with the wheels off the ground, I'm good to go. I think it will remove with alcohol.

Regards and thank you for all the replies.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:39 PM
ptarp

New rims for the B4 are $4 a pair, cheap compared to the risk of cutting yourself with an exacto blade (to me anyway).
Thats funny. Not very good with a blade are ya?
Old 06-07-2004, 09:16 PM
muahaha

just boil those tires in salted water and the tire should be easy enough to be pull off the rim after 8-10 min. i have always use this method if i need a rim and have none in stock.