Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

XXX-S handling problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 09:27 PM
uthabrutha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XXX-S handling problems

I have a XXX-S G+ that i am currenty trying to race, and my first race my car wasnt set up at all...so i got whooped. but my main problem was that the rear end kept spinning out on any turn. i run on an indoor carpet track that is pretty tight, and i cant seem to keep my rear end in line with the front...Any help in tuning options?
Old 10-12-2004, 09:47 PM
WckdDudeMan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: XXX-S handling problems

foam tires, softer back springs, sway bars

wicked
Old 10-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Mike01

Are you using traction compound?
Old 10-13-2004, 08:03 AM
Johnboy Walton

I ran my first race on Friday night, and alomst everyone was having trouble keeping their cars straight (and shiny-side-up, I might add).

We run on a tight carpet track, and I was running T-Spec, but there were a number of XXX-S G+'s running that night.

For starters, as mentioned by Mike01, traction compound in the right places can make or break you. A friend was running it on 100% of both front and rear, and he was spinning like mad. I was running little to no compound up front, 100% rear, and it was MUCH better.

If you can, go rent some practice time and just run without any compound at all. Also make sure you are running the same tires front/rear that the other guys seem to be running.

Also, where was the car loose?

1) Off-throttle/on-brake coming into corner

2) Neutral throttle through the corner

3) On throttle accelerating out of corner

If it's #1, you can probably tame it somewhat by firming the front suspension or softening the rear

If it's #3, loosening the rear diff should help.

If it's #2, a combination of 1 and 3 should bring it in.

Honestly, the best suggestion I can make is to go practice. Set your throttle to ~50% of your full travel, so you won't be going as fast. Just get a feel for how quickly the steering responds. I found that the car turns VERY quickly, and you need to modulate your steering input to help reduce spinning. Once you can drive consistently @ 50%, go up to 75%. By the time you get comfortable at 75%, the battery probably will have dumped, so charge up another pack, leave the throttle @75%, and head back out. The initial punch of the freshly-peaked pack will probably have you all over the track at 75%. Get it back under control, and when you're comfortable again, bump it up to 100%. Dump this pack, and try running again at 100% with a fresh pack. It'll likely be a repeat of the fresh 75% session, but by the end you should be fairly comfortable with the car on your track.

What you'll probably find is that the 50% speed you were taking through the tight sections is just about the limit you can reasonably drive at this point. Now you can start playing with adding traction compound to gain some absolute speed.

The old saying, "Slow down and go faster" will probably apply for you. If you just take it easy and keep the car upright the whole race, you'll probably pass a few of the guys who are out on the hairy edge and constantly crashing. You also won't break as many parts, so you'll get more runs in.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:32 PM
45mph pede
Banned

rear toe in? It will slow you down a bit, but it will keep the rear end down. try going to like a 3.5
Old 10-13-2004, 07:55 PM
uthabrutha

i will look into sway bars, but front or rear or both? Ive got softer springs on order, and foams are required to race on the track. I use Paragon Compound, as it is the only allowed by the track.

-By the way--Johnnyboy--are you racing at Maximus, cause one of those xxx-s was mine, the black and white one that had the really bad crash second race....lemmie know.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Johnboy Walton

brutha-

Yep, I was running at Maximus. I'm the heavy-set blonde guy with the blue/white T-Spec.

What happened in your crash? Honestly the worst crash I remember was when the dark green Pro-4 got airborne and put that hole in the driver's stand.

I remember you being pretty well hooked up. Everybody seemed at least a little loose. You survived all three heats and the main, right?

Are you going to run tomorrow night? I'll probably be a little late, but I will definitely be there. I'm no setup guru or anything, but maybe I can help a bit.

Mike
Old 10-14-2004, 11:37 AM
uthabrutha

yea, ill be there tomorrow too, late also...
no i quit and used my brothers tspec for the rest of the night after race 2. i was driving my brothers the black with red flames....
Dont know if im gonna race my xxxs only becase im having trouble getting the money up for a charger and some extra batteries, but i will definitly be running my brothers spec.

see you there.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:45 AM
Johnboy Walton

COOL! - So you're the guy who whupped up on us in the spec-class, huh?

Sorry I didn't congratulate you. You came in 3rd overall, which means you were flat-out the fastest T-Spec of the night! The other two guys were running XXX-S and something else non-Spec. They were running GP-3300's, too!

Congrats, you've definitely got you/your brother's car hooked up for that class!

Well, I'm hoping to relax a bit more tomorrow, but I'll be happy to help however I can. Jerod (sp?) has his XXX-S completely dialed to that track, so if he's willing to help you, ask him. He should be able to point you in the right direction.

Anyway, good luck and I'll see ya tomorrow!

Mike
Old 10-15-2004, 10:19 AM
muahaha

give me ur step and describe to me when u turn the car into the corner. maybe i can help u with ur setups.