Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Ok I have a really newbie question about myy rustler thats sitting under the xmas tree.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Ok I have a really newbie question about myy rustler thats sitting under the xmas tree.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 04:06 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok I have a really newbie question about myy rustler thats sitting under the xmas tree.

Do I have to break in the motor? I've heard several different things. I've heard that you dont have to break it in but I've also heard that you should break them in. Also I've heard methods of breaking them in including putting the motor underwater and running it. Please help me out here, I want to have this rustler for some time but I do plan on upgrading the motor but having the og motor might come in handy one day.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:32 PM
cressers

Default RE: Ok I have a really newbie question about myy rustler thats sitting under the xmas tree.

Electricity and water.......hmm think about it....does it sound like a good idea????

Seriously though, just connect everything up with no spur gear and run the motor at low rpm for about 2-3 mins, this should bed everything in ok. Just push the trim on the controller forward a couple of notches so it spins at med rpm.
Old 12-05-2004, 04:47 PM
45mph pede
Banned

Default RE: Ok I have a really newbie question about myy rustler thats sitting under the xmas tree.

Electricity and water.......hmm think about it....does it sound like a good idea????
Yes infact it does. Alien breaks in his motors underwater, and I just did one underwater You 'should' break in the motor, but with the stocker most people dont do it. I didnt break my'n in and its running like new still today! My brother didnt break in his leman's motor in his old boat and it runs fine and its at-least 20yrs. old... Basicly dont break it in if you dont want to, if you realy want to fine go for it, your not going to notice that much of a difference in the life of the stock motor.
-Wes
Old 12-05-2004, 04:53 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

A water breakin is the quickest, and IMO the easiest way to break a motor.

Just get a glass of warm water (filtered water would be prefered) hook your motor up to either a 3 volt power source, or 2 D batteries wired in series, just let the motor run for maybe 10 seconds, take it out, and let it run for a few more seconds to sling the water out of it. If you have motor cleaner, its suggested that you spray down the inside of the motor afterwards.

You can also do a dry breakin, the procedure is the same but you dont run it under water, and it takes a lot longer.

I wouldnt worry too much about breaking in the stock motor that comes with the rusty, it will proboly crap out within a couple weeks anyways.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:49 PM
aliens8mycow

Yep - I'm a firm believer in the underwater break-in. 3 or 5 volts and about a minute or so - done deal. And, as jakjr said, get the water out, and spray it down with motor cleaner to displace any water that's left in there. You also need to oil your bearings at this time.

On the stock motor with your rusty, probably not necessary. If you buy a new motor that hasn't been 'factory tuned' or replace the brushes in your existing motor, you'll want to break it in to seat the brushes.