Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

motor break in

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 10:19 AM
95eclipse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor break in

How is the best way to break in a new motor.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:26 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: motor break in

I've heard of people running their motor on like a 4-cell battery in a glass of water for like 3 seconds. I just ran my car on 1/4 throttle for a few seconds and then that was it! I didnt even have to break in my stinger motor. But breaking it in with the water method I think makes the brushes wear out a tad bit faster. There are more good things about using the water break in method though, I just forgot most of them.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:11 PM
95eclipse

Ok thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Speedmunkey
Banned

I use a 4c pack, a motor stand and a fan. Run it for 30 seconds then pull the positive brush and see if it is shiny all the way across. If it isn't, run it for 30 more seconds and repeat. Do that till the entire brush surface is shiney. The goal isn't to burn off the serrations, just to seat them on the comm. Once it is totally seated, put it back in, run for 30 more seconds and then don't pull the brush again till you look in the endbell and see wear on the comm. That means it's ready to be cut again. I'm very generous on my cut frequency, cuz wear = performance lost. I cut whenever I see the comm looks scarred or dark.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:41 PM
aliens8mycow

ORIGINAL: capone12

I've heard of people running their motor on like a 4-cell battery in a glass of water for like 3 seconds. I just ran my car on 1/4 throttle for a few seconds and then that was it! I didnt even have to break in my stinger motor. But breaking it in with the water method I think makes the brushes wear out a tad bit faster. There are more good things about using the water break in method though, I just forgot most of them.
more like 30 seconds...

I do the water method, and usually within 30 seconds, you're set to go. As speed said, check the brush and make sure it has a shiny surface all the way across. Breaking in underwater won't make the brushes wear any faster, it just speeds the break-in process. If you do it that way, you'll need to dry things out and lube the bearings/bushings before running the motor in your car.