Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Sleepy's T4 Evo

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 02:41 PM
SkrapIron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sleepy's T4 Evo

Speaking of transmissions.......

I learned a lesson today. Do you know, that if you tighten your slipper clutch down too tightly, you can transfer so much torque to the drive shaft as to twist the drive pin off of it? As in sheared right off of the outdrive? Oops. So much for the stock outdrive too......

Back to the LHS.

By the way. I put a Mamba 25 in my son's IB Spyder. My Gosh, what a difference in performance! I got almost 22 mins run time out of it too. ( stock 1100mah 2/3 a 6 cells)

Ok, thread-jacking is over....
Old 06-02-2005, 09:57 PM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

skrap, have you done anymore speed runs or anything with your rc's?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:20 AM
SkrapIron

Well, the B4 is out of comission until at least Saturday. My LHS Doesn't have the outdrives that I want. GRRR.

On my T3, I am averaging 39.7mph for all of my runs. Depending on the charge of the pack, and the weather, I've seen as high as 43mph out of the ss5800 on 7 cells. Still nowhere near what the B4 is capable of. I'm getting that kind of performance out of the B4 on older 6 cells! Using Elmo's 7 cell pack, I have seen as high as 54mph. But that was overgeared.

I ran the IB Spyder with the Mamba 25 yesterday. Using the stock 1100mah 6 cell 2/3 A pack, I got 21.2 mph out of that little thing. All while carrying the GPS!
Old 06-03-2005, 01:08 PM
sleepy23

rough estimates looks like i could see 49mph without going too hard on overgearing
if i push the extreme limits of my available gearing options, i could get 58mph
Old 06-03-2005, 06:37 PM
sleepy23

well just got in the new bats, put one charge on them and took the truck out.... 42.1mph
i think that is pretty dang good for a first charge. after a few cycles i expect them to push the truck up to 45 which will be on par with the 8 cell.
I dont know about some of the ppl round here, but i sure can tell the difference in the good cells. this pack took a 3700+mah charge where as my 8 cell only gets 3000mah charge
Old 06-04-2005, 03:11 AM
sleepy23

gonna be doing rpm testing saturday. going to put the eagletree back in and see how accurate it is with the gps. also going to use it to see the differences in rpms with the changing of the topshaft and then the ti cvds. if i can squeeze it in, i want to mark off 132ft (test that rcca does) and see what top speed i can pull in that distance.
I also modded my motor plate a bit more to allow me to drop my gearing down some so i can bust out a HIGH speed run

i also am excited that I should have my custom al steering bolts in by next friday
Old 06-04-2005, 10:08 AM
SkrapIron

You should change your handle to Dr. Frankenstein! Or at least use Frankenstein's Monster as your avatar!

You are as bad as a mad scientist in a morgue! 'Yes, Igor.. all I need now is a brain, and my creation will be complete!"

I'm sure your workshop has all the cheesey whirrly electrical props in the background, all covered in cob webs and the have a perpetual lightning storm centered over your house!

"It Lives!"

All you need now is the white lab coat, and the crazy hair!
Old 06-04-2005, 12:32 PM
sleepy23

what can i say, i get bored easily and LOVE to tinker on stuff. its kinda like, "ok, what can i modify, how fast can i make it, how well can i make it handle...."

i especially like to modify stadium trucks cuz i feel like they are the Nascar of the racing world ( kinda behind the times on technology). a stadium truck can also be set just high enough to handle dirt and grass should the desire arise, you cant do that with a touring car.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:50 PM
sleepy23

well so much for testing. i got my base line run for rpms, then put in my new shaft and did a run. the rpms were less, so i figure the bat was dying so i went out for a run in the road and found out the topshaft gear was slipping. pullede it apart and tried again. well the rpms were dropping off so i figured the bat was going ( it brand new, only charged once) so out to the road to play. i made a few passes and had a killer 360 spin ( just cut hard and nail it, whipped a 360 on the pavement and kept going) and then was flying down the road and getting ready to move out of the way of a car when something happened and the diff is locked. i think i killed my new shaft. i will have to pull it apart and see what i did. looks like i am going to have to get one made from a better quality aluminum.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:48 PM
sleepy23

well, looks like i am about to go waaaaay nerdy on the evo. i picked up a set of trinity tire warmers for pretty cheap, so i will be modifying those to work on my truck.
i still need to pull off the tranny and see what i fried, but it may be a day or two or even a week or so.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:50 PM
S.A.E.W.O.T.
Banned

sounds like that tranny is worse then the evader tranny...lol
Old 06-05-2005, 08:19 PM
evaderguy89

ORIGINAL: sleepy23

well, looks like i am about to go waaaaay nerdy on the evo. i picked up a set of trinity tire warmers for pretty cheap, so i will be modifying those to work on my truck.
i still need to pull off the tranny and see what i fried, but it may be a day or two or even a week or so.

sleepy, these problems your facing will make you feel twenty fold better once it works. good luck and keep trying.
Old 06-05-2005, 08:53 PM
sleepy23

ORIGINAL: S.A.E.W.O.T.

sounds like that tranny is worse then the evader tranny...lol
oh i know you are smokin somethin now. i mean remember its suppose to be "puff, puff, PASS" haha

seriously though, the topshaft weighs 3grams, the stock one weighs like 10 grams. Its just a matter of working through the problems. I mean this is the first prototype shaft so i expect some issues. once its worked out, accel will go up and that just means i can pounce more vehicles. I just wish there were some ppl in the neighborhood that had rc so i could smoke someone
Old 06-05-2005, 08:57 PM
JMan8108

what i dont get is since u want it to be strictly onroad why not just modify a TC with tranny upgrades and whatnot, i will handle better than a truck even with as many mods as you have in yours
Old 06-05-2005, 09:34 PM
sleepy23

what fun is that????
have you seen my tc3? its pretty pimp, i could easily drop my 6s into it and have one seriously fast car. but everything on it is something you can go out and buy.
my truck is MY truck, alot of the stuff is my design.
is it gonna handle like a 4wd tc..well NO, its a 2wd truck, at best i will handle similiar to a pan car

long and short of it is, i want something unique. i hate having something just like everyone else has or can have
Old 06-05-2005, 10:18 PM
JMan8108

your tc3 is sick, but wut im sayin is make some stuff for your tc3 to make it your own
Old 06-06-2005, 08:42 AM
sleepy23

Theres really not a whole lot left to do to the tc3. most of the things i would do can already be purchased. the only thing i see left to do is to make the chassis i had designed for it and change the steering and suspension parts....thats not really enough to do it for me.
With the stadium trucks...you are taking a vehicle not really designed for onroad and making it work on road. the stuff i do to my onroad truck often carries over to my offroad t4, but maybe tweaked just a hair for more abuse. once i get this shaft perfected, i will mod the design enough to work in offroad. i have a new thrust screw that is nothing like anything on ae vehicles.
for mw, there is just more that can be done to a stadium truck to bring it up another level. Its kinda like nascar and f1, both are racing, but f1 is far more advanced.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:53 PM
sleepy23

got the new steering bolts today.
stock: 3.5g
custom: 1.4g

i am going to try to make some new bumpers tonight. once i get the rear bumper done, i can go with a new motor heatsink design. with it, i should see another 10-15 grams savings
Old 06-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Viper 15

What is your final goal for this project, or are you just modifying for the fun of it.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:40 PM
sleepy23

mainly modifying for the fun of it. ultimately, i want to push the redesing to the far extreme. i have tweaked almost every component on the truck or have an idea on how to tweak it. basically i want the lightest, most efficient ( i would say fastest, but that is realitive to motor), most advanced truck. i want everyone that sees it to be in total awe. thats not asking for too much

i do want to get it into a couple of magazines and get like readers ride. i know i will have a very good chance with one mag once i finish the cf rear bumper and the new heatsink. after that i still need to fix the tranny, change over to the locking shock collars and change to the 2 stage pistons. after all that, then i can start on the new chassis
Old 06-09-2005, 07:00 PM
sleepy23

just pulled my evo tranny apart.....completely stripped every tooth off of the gear on my custom shaft, managled every tooth on the idler, and crushed two teeth on the diff gear which made me have to replace it to keep from flat spotting during the rotation. all this from less that a dozen passes up/down the street and some bench testing.

i did get the front cf bumper done, the lines could be cleaner, but considering i didnt make a drawing and do it like i normally do, its not bad. the rear bumper and heat sink is gonna have to wait until sat or sunday. there will be no rc tomorrow as my buddies are bound and determined to get me drunk for my bachelor party, which means saturdays rc may be drastically impared also
Old 06-09-2005, 07:03 PM
Elmo6s

Hey sleepy,
Did u see the delrin tranny gears for the Stealth? Apparently they are much lighter, if u haven't lmk and I'll get you a link...
Alex
Old 06-09-2005, 10:00 PM
sleepy23

nah, havent seen them...i am looking fro them, but if you have a known link
Old 06-10-2005, 05:45 AM
Elmo6s

Here you go - I was thinking of putting them in mine - [link=http://www.speedysracingparts.com]Click Here[/link]
Old 06-10-2005, 08:29 AM
sleepy23

yeah, i already have some of those. i thought you were talking about actually custom delrin parts. the gears are not too bad, they dont recommend the light idler for offroad use. the topshaft is about 3.5g lighter ( weighs 6.5g), dont remember about the diff gear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.