Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

getting into on-road racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 10:53 AM
coolkid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting into on-road racing

hey, im thinking about getting into on road, and want to get a tamiya kit that i could race with at my lh club. I was wondering what u guys think of the Ta04ss, because i was thinking of getting one at towerhobbies.com, but i didnt want to waste any money on something that wouldnt be race worthy. Do you guys have any experience with this chassis? Do u suggest anything different, my price range is about $150 for the kit, and then maybe another $120 for electronics, the course im racing on is basically an oval, with some extra turns added in... thanks
Old 07-28-2005, 06:40 PM
WRXTC

Default RE: getting into on-road racing

I am a newb too but I noticed no one else is answering your question. My advice would be to do what I did, go down to your local track and ask around. See what dudes are running. I heard the Ta-04SS is a good starters car and was going to buy one. But I was also told that when you get more serious about racing I would need to get a better car. I ended up getting a Mission S1, similar price and very quick straight out of the box and can be upgraded with Ti parts etc to be very competitive at all levels. The Schumacher Team drivers at our club pretty much win everything so that had alot to do with my final decision. Hopefully other people will give you an opinion on this too.[8D]
Old 07-28-2005, 08:23 PM
co_alpine
My Feedback: (35)

I am getting into racing as well ( look up my post http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3203437/tm.htm) ad I found a TC3 was the way to go. you can get parts anywhere (parts are very important when new) and you can get a nice roller for under $70 on ebay or a full ready to run for 200 ish. I found a almost new TC3 whit enough parts to make 3 more cars, lots of motors, wheels, batts, RTR, with charger and a new motor com lathe for 400 on ebay! I am not saying that is a bad or good car, but I would make sure that whatever you get that you can find parts for it.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:40 PM
coolkid

hey, thanks a lot guys, im not really one much for ebay, but im very interested in the mission 1 wrxtc was talking about. I probrobly want something new, and if the mission 1 is in the ta04 ss's price range, then il defenenlty take a look into it. The tc3 is very tempting also, but i know that its also a little bit more out of my price range... ill have to look around, it seems that the ta04ss is mainly plastic, and doesnt look that worthy, becuase im going to be racing in a mod class, which is all we have due to lack of people, thanks again!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:55 PM
co_alpine
My Feedback: (35)

what is your price range? I just got a TC3 team factory kit that was never ran wiht a never used novak brushless setup for $250! I also know a person selling a Tc4 wiht a new novak brussless system rtr for 425. used / not abused is a great way to get started. I have bought 6 cars that way so far and have been happy with each one.
Also, talk to your local racers. some may have backup cars they want to sell off for cheap that you can drive then buy.
make a strong budget for what you can rally spend, then work aroudn it. I got into this sport byung used and found it to be a great way to go. I have dropped some big $$$ on new kits but you don't have to bust the bank to get a great ride. and if your new at it, your car will take a LOT of abuse in the walls, so why trash a new car when you cna get a used for your first season. then you know what you like and don't like for you next car.
just my 2 cents anyways.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:41 AM
coolkid

yeah, u made a very good point, my price range is around 150 for the kit its self, and then i was planning on buying the electronics later, and maybe putting 80 or so into, but i already have a radio, so all i need is the esc and another rx, and motor. I was looking at the Trinity T-spec also, which looks like a good car... Im only 15, so it takes me a while to save up for this stuff, but i love it, so im willing t oput some money towards it. A tc3 or tc4 would sound great, and the deal that u got on it sounds even better, but 425 for your friends car, thats just a little too much for me. thanks for all your help co_alpine, i think i might buy used on ebay, if my parents will let me, lol, its their credit card.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 PM
WRXTC

Dude if you want to race in MOD class you will have to get something like a Mission S1 or Mi2 in the carbon chassis. It will be competitive and won't break the bank. Do some research on it on the net. In Australia my local hobby shop is the importer and parts are readily available. I believe there is a factory in the US so parts will be easy for you to get. Definately a great starters car for the price and will be competitive enough to actually run in mod class. Do yourself a favor though, go down to the track and see what the MOD racers are racing, cars etc. If you are just getting into racing and doing it on a budget I would just start at 540 level. MOD is really expensive, they run $700 chassis alone and rebuild motors after every 4 or 5 runs. You will need the best chargers and batteries money can buy, you will need to manage your packs and when you are actually ready to race MOD you won't be on the internet asking any questions believe me. I thought the samething as you just get a fast car and race MOD. If you want to win you have a lot to learn just like me.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:43 PM
coolkid

your right, i have to learn a TON about this stuff, becuase all im racing now is mini-t unlimited, but this isnt the mod your used to, lol, our club is messy, and we dont have enough people, so by meaning mod, i mean im gonna be racing with half nitros and half electric, one of the electric guys has a TC4 rtr, 15t motor, stock stuff, if i buy a mediokir kit, than i can spend money on a 13t motor and good electronics, and be up there with the other guys if i practice, get some tips and wrench with it a little... He ran his TC4 last sunday, and was able to keep up with the nitros, if u wanna see our on road track, visit www.rrcrc.com to see what im talking about. I will probrobly do what u said i was looking into mission, but couldnt find a whole lot detial, ill look some more though, i have a lot of other guys telling me to get a tc3, or tc4, and its really conflicting, if the mission is working out for u, then ill see what i can do, thanks for the help.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:53 PM
coolkid

oh by the way, this isnt one of those clubs that is extemely competitive, we are about having fun, i dont think one guy in our club takes rc as serious as to buy a lathe just to tweek his motor for ex., we do make it serious, but we dont buy expensive stuff just to show the other guys up (what am i saying ) im just looking to get something simple, so i can get into on-road, even if i will get whooped!! lol, thanks again...
Old 07-30-2005, 12:46 AM
JMan8108

look into the trinity t-spec. from what i have heard/seen/read it is a great beginning racers car. It shares a lot of features with the tc3 and it wont break the bank for light club racing
Old 07-30-2005, 06:38 PM
coolkid

thats what i thought j man, but apereantly its not that good of a mod car, i talked to a guy at my track, and he said it doesnt matter what car u have, if can control it, than u'll win, becuase our track is pretty hard turns, all of them are 180 degree turns, so its just a matter of skill, so im gonna go with the t spec and get a 15t motor, and stuff. thanks everyone.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:22 PM
WRXTC

Good luck dude hope everything works well. Whatever you do though get a chassis capable of being modded to the max, like a car capable with the right mods to be going 80-90KMH. Track looks ok. Check out our local track.

http://www.imagefile.net/TFTRWebsite/

It's a crazy circuit!
Old 07-30-2005, 08:31 PM
coolkid

omg, your track is awesome, those pics of ours where from sooo long ago, the pic of the dirt track was taken right after we had the sod off and the ramps built, now we put this beautifull dirt on it and its like a redish orange, with a bluegroove in every corner, and the on road track looks a little better in real life, but those are the conditions im gonna be racing on, so not to much presure, but i do want to have the right stuff, thanks.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:38 PM
coolkid

heres a better pic of our track, not as professional as yours, but it gets the job done, but ne way there are 2 pretty intense turns, one where you are prone to hitting into slower cars, if u see, its the last turn on the inside of the track, it makes it all the better!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85462.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	303511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81354.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	303512