Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

NITRO Vs. ELECTRIC

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 06:00 PM
-Inverted-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NITRO Vs. ELECTRIC

So hands-down, the nitro wins out everywhere. Go for the nitro!!!!
I love people like this, people always say nitro gets more looks, but when I beat a nitro with an electric, MINI, PRICELESS!

And Nitro is faster than electric IN A STRAIGHT LINE.
Round a track electric is faster.
That makes no sense at all, a mini-t can go 60mph with a comp-x system and a 3s li-po, and still perform on a track, and its not nitro....
Old 03-05-2006, 06:22 PM
vtl1180ny

For your first car get an eletric and get a kit... None of this RTR crap.... Learn how to build it, how it works, how to drive it and how to fix it....
Old 03-05-2006, 07:15 PM
×SlappY×

i own a brushless XXX-S touring car, and its a blast to drive, really fast too, and i get about 25 min runtimes from each batt. I also purchased an XTM X-cellerator off ebay yesterday, so ill see what nitro are like, il let you know.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Kemo

I own both nitro AND electric. Its easier and more convenient for me to run nitro than electric, because electrics constantly need motor rebuilds... otherwise they perform like crap.

At 15 bucks a gallon, and engines at discount, its a lot cheaper in the end for me to race nitro than it is electric. There is also a little more endurance in nitro, and I LOVE that challenge. Anyone can run 5 minutes with an electric, or even a nitro. But try getting a nitro to run consistant thru a whole 45 minute A main, thats a fun and stressful task.

This is a never ending battle. Just go with whatever is more convenient to you. As for myself, all the electrics I own are now shelf queens. They are just for show now... and conversational pieces.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:01 PM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: amwhite2005
And Nitro is faster than electric IN A STRAIGHT LINE.
Round a track electric is faster.
that is soooo freakin funny...i have 3 trucks you need to raceif you believe that
Old 03-05-2006, 08:19 PM
R/C fan-addict

ORIGINAL: Kemo

I own both nitro AND electric. Its easier and more convenient for me to run nitro than electric, because electrics constantly need motor rebuilds... otherwise they perform like crap.

At 15 bucks a gallon, and engines at discount, its a lot cheaper in the end for me to race nitro than it is electric. There is also a little more endurance in nitro, and I LOVE that challenge. Anyone can run 5 minutes with an electric, or even a nitro. But try getting a nitro to run consistant thru a whole 45 minute A main, thats a fun and stressful task.

This is a never ending battle. Just go with whatever is more convenient to you. As for myself, all the electrics I own are now shelf queens. They are just for show now... and conversational pieces.
where do you get a gallon of nitro for $15? It's cheaper to buy at an LHS, but for my first gallon I bought it for $27 off tower. Tower sells quarts for $7.99 so what you're paying for a gallon costs as much as 2 quarts... as for electrics needing motor rebuilds: heard of brushless?
Old 03-05-2006, 09:00 PM
DaveG55

What's the speed record for an electric surface vehicle? I know what it is for a nitro surface vehicle but don't remember for electric. Does anybody know?
Old 03-05-2006, 09:03 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

111mph
Old 03-05-2006, 09:25 PM
mauricew

The thing that convinvced me to go with electric is the lack of noise and exhaust. I like to be able to bash on the lawn without annoying the neighbors or go to the park and not draw a lot more attention to myself than necessary.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:41 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: tamiyacrawler

111mph
Nitro is 125.something
Old 03-05-2006, 10:03 PM
sleepy23

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

ORIGINAL: tamiyacrawler

111mph
Nitro is 125.something
111 is currently in the record books. there are faster electrics out there now.
the fact is, the record book rules and if it says electric rc at 111mph, then electric is faster. my brother's cousin's uncle's friend who has a notro that will do 125 is not in the book and thus not as valid of a record....sorry, just the way it is.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:14 PM
-Inverted-

my brother's cousin's uncle's friend
That stuff gets confusing....
Old 03-05-2006, 10:36 PM
DaveG55

This is soooo much fun.....I love these threads......
I purposly said surface vehicle....I did not say cars, or trucks, etc.
The fastest surface vehicle is a boat and does in fact hold a record.
http://cmdracing.com/updated/records.htm
I could not find the exact link to the 125+mph record but he has beaten the 120 that's in that link.
I'm sure Mr. Andy Brown is a brother to somebodys mothers, uncles, grandfather but he's no relation to me.

My point is what difference does it really make?

This is a hobby for goodness sake. Buy and drive what you like. If it's EP great, if it's nitro or gas that's great too.
As for me, I'll keep driving my nitro and electric cars, MT's, buggys, planes, boats and helis. None of them are the fastest (or the slowest) but I have fun with them all. And isn't that whatwe play with these things for?
Old 03-07-2006, 12:06 AM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

let me just answer at least the guys question.....which is somewhat hidden to you guys cause all you're talkin about is the which is better....Nitro or Electric. NOW.....in the original question, our boy was ACTUALLY comtemplating the Associated or the Duratrax?!!???!!!!! Let me first say.....DON'T matter if it's Nitro OR Electric......the Associated is Ivy Leagues better than the Duratrax!!! It's like looking at Halle Berry(first one that comes to mind) and then looking at Barbara Bush(don't know why that one came to mind....ewwww[:'(]). Therefore, I don't care if you buy nitro or electric but I can say that the Duratrax is a "cheap" choice and THERE is where you will be CONSTANTLY spending to money to fix it ALL the time. Oh....by the way, I like electric better(I had ta do it....I had ta do it[>:]) BUT....I REALLY want one of those new 3.3 T-Maxxes.....DAMN!!!!!!!!![X(]
Old 03-07-2006, 01:11 AM
aangelet

OK, this subject has been beaten to death, but I'll jump on the band wagon and add my two cents worth.

I got out of RC a couple of years ago because I was running nitro and it was just too much to keep up with. I had a nitro stampede that I threw all kinds of money at, but I just gave it up. Since then, my interests in RC have been renewed, and since leaving, it seems that electric has really taken off. Electric wasn't even a consideration back then, but now...things have changed.

I got back into it about a month ago. I bought a T4, got some hop ups for it (aluminum, carbon, etc.) and just threw in a Novak GTB/5.5r system. Now when I go out to run, that's exactly what I do. I run. I'm not sitting on the side lines trying to tune my engine. I'm not stopping every couple of laps to check the temp on my engine. I'm not messing with throttle servos. I'm just having fun.

As for the runtime, it's a matter of the power source that you choose. I run LiPo packs and am getting 30 to 40 minutes of actual runtime, as near as I can tell anyway. With two packs, I just have one on the charger while I'm running the other. Now when I go out to the track, I have no down time, unless I break something.

Now I know that I'm likely going to get flamed for this, but...the speed issue is a non issue. I know that there are some nitro buggies and stadium trucks that are pretty fast, but in the context of a race track, I can tell you this. There ain't no nitro keeping up with me on the straights. The only way that I get out accelerated is if I don't do my part and keep control of the truck. When I can get a good bite on the terrain, my T4 just flat out goes.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:31 AM
-Inverted-

BUT....I REALLY want one of those new 3.3 T-Maxxes
Why a t-maxx is still outdated, if you had to get a traxxas atleast get the revo.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:02 AM
aangelet

I don't know how I missed the Associated vs. Duratrax issue, but I agree with ob1n. In fact, my son bought himself a Duratrax BX Pro kit because it looked really appealing on paper. Although I've supplied the electronics, motor, etc., I wanted him to pay for something so that he'd appreciate it more. After having gotten it, I felt so bad for him that I've been picking up the tab on all of the parts that we've had to replace.

He has his Duratrax and I have my RC10T4. We do a lot of bashing at home. After Katrina, we have piles of dirt all over the place as my neighborhood is being rebuilt. We play bumper cars and such and his is always getting broken. I can't tell you how many shock parts, shock towers, and other misc. parts we've gone through just to keep the buggy running. I know that the Duratrax comes with a nice guarantee, but who wants to wait for the mail to get replacment parts in?

We literally have five each of the front and rear shock towers and have taken to using associated lower shock mounts just to be able to play.

His birthday is coming up and I think I'm going to surprise him with a Losi XXX. No one should have to go through the aggravation that the Duratrax has put my kid through. He wants to race it really badly, but is afraid to because of the likelyhood that he won't be able to finish the race.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:55 AM
ob1n

Why a t-maxx is still outdated, if you had to get a traxxas atleast get the revo.

Cause the hop up(suspension/driveshafts) parts are easily available, it looks like a truck....not a truggy, and this thing is gonna be around for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time! I'd consider the Duratrax Warhead if it wasn't for the fact that I own a crappy Evader that breaks all the time. Plus, I own a Stampede...and I like it's quality...so I think the T-Maxx should be somewhat comparable.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:09 PM
ob1n

[quote][Why a t-maxx is still outdated, if you had to get a traxxas atleast get the revo.

/quote]

Bad DAD!!!! Bad DADDY!!!![>:] Shame on you!!!!!! LOL!!!! Hey, dude, I feel for ya....but I really feel for your son. To make it up to him...I'd buy the Losi/Associated for his birthday to race......then, for making him BUY a pile of junk......I'd buy him a Tamiya truck(Blackfoot/Lunchbox/Twin Detonator) for the bashing part!!!!! Trust me....nothing is tougher than Tamiya when it comes to durability, reliability and FUN!!!!! Take a look on Ebay.....look at all the USED stuff that is selling there. Duratrax is selling cause it's JUNK.....but in every Tamiya add....the seller will say something like this..."Had it for years, not interested anymore, works fine" or "Found this in the garage, needs batts and then DRIVE". I still own AND drive all my tamiya vehicles today(my grasshopper is almost 20 years old....wow, makes ME feel old). My kids are starting to drive.....2 boys that a 4yrs and 5yrs old. I give them my tamiya vehicles and they beat the CRAP out em.....more than I used, of course, I started at age 11. These are the same vehicles I used to drive....and not 1 breakage yet(now that I've said that, something'll break this week[&:]) Anyway, good luck...and I wish the best for your kid!! Laters
Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 PM
a j o e l v a r d y

I only have electric as my dad dosen't want me to have a nitro as they are noisy.

which is so anoying as w have the biggest place to play with them I have seen

but I do have 6 realy moded fast electrics.
thanks,
Joel
Old 03-07-2006, 02:52 PM
livthemoment

I own both a 1/10 and 1/8th scale buggy. I like both and it depends what I am in the mood for.
The biggest problem with nitro: Too many people get a NITRO vehicle and do NO research on how to maintain it, or break it in or rebuild it. NITRO is EASY. BUY a BOOK. RC Caraction makes a great comprehensive guide.

I built my 1/8th, broke it in, ran it with no problems. Easy to tune and starts most everytime, and when it does not I replace a fuel hose and it starts back up. It is not hard to maintain...throw in after-run (marvel mystery) at the end of the day. (Then clean the engine out with denatured before the next time you run-but you do not always have to do that).
Electric is probably harder than nitro: learning to care for batteries, learning to cut comms, learning about motor timing, getting the right ESC. There is not one comprehensive place that explains everything for electric like there is for nitro.

But you are less likely to screw stuff up severely with an Electric while you are screwing around trying to figure out how it works.

I really like 1/8th scale. Drive an 8-10 pound 1/8th scale at 46mph next to a 1/10th scale buggy (brushless or not) and the power you feel can be intoxicating. You could crash head on with a 1/10th scale and not even know it was there. It is like watching a highschool running back coming at you vs. an NFL running back heading straight at you both could run the same speed, but only one would i be afraid of or pay to watch.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:08 PM
aicecoldone

nitro sucks. electric is okay. Gas power is even better with its 30 to 45 min run time
Old 03-07-2006, 09:02 PM
-Inverted-

Electric is probably harder than nitro: learning to care for batteries, learning to cut comms, learning about motor timing, getting the right ESC. There is not one comprehensive place that explains everything for electric like there is for nitro.
Misbehavin rc has a section for that, and with brushless you dont need to cut coms and change brushes.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:01 AM
cheeseclip

is the mad fighter like the mad bull. cos i have a mad bull
Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
livthemoment

ORIGINAL: cadillac_kid28

Misbehavin rc has a section for that, and with brushless you dont need to cut coms and change brushes.
Misbehavin is okay, but not the best site especially if you plan to race. I have found better. And again you have to look through out the internet hopefully typing the right combination to stumble across good sites. or stay on a forum for a month to pickup a site someone likes i.e. misbehavin rc.

And believe it or not the search engine on forum websites even this one is not that hot. I have had trouble looking up posts I have made using keywords other than my tag.
Electric needs an UP TO DATE comprehensive book.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.