Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler vs. X-cellerator

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 06:41 PM
DeeMize

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler vs. X-cellerator

I debating on whether to buy a Traxxas Rustler or a XTM X-cellerator for my first electric truck. Does anybody have any suggestions???
Old 12-01-2005, 07:04 PM
jkrustchinsky
Banned
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Rustler vs. X-cellerator

xtm xcellerator, has less trans problems, looks better, the esc is waterproof and better qualty, they are going to be the same speed out of the box but the xtm xcellerator can tranny can take about any motor you want to drop in it, plus it shares parts with the t3 and t4 assosiated trucks so its very race and bash capable,

the rustler is slow and bulky no matter what you do to it, it just has a weird feeling when i drive it, it is a little tougher but the tranny is weak and outdated, the rustler is a very outdated design, as with all traxxas electrics
Old 12-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Evader 53

I would go with the XTM x-cellerator. It has the mtroniks eco 20 esc (only downside is I think it is only able to handle down to 20T), it also has full ball bearings, aluminum shocks, and a tough tranny.

As said ^above, the rustler is an old, outdated design that from what I remember is 10+ years old... yea, the rustler fans are going to come in here to tell you to get a rustler, but they have all dumped money into it to make it as good as it is. Not saying the rustler is a bad, truck, just a bulky, outdated design.

For the price, I would go with the xtm x-celerator, it comes with quality products already installed, which would have to be bought seperately for the rustler.

Hope this helps,
--Pede
Old 12-01-2005, 08:14 PM
SkrapIron

The XTM Xcellerator is slow, for an RTR. But a good 27t stock motor fixes that. It's chassis design shares MANY components with the Associated T3 and T4. It can be made into a descent club racer with the addition of some good tires, various rate springs and some different weight shock oils. Overall, it's not a bad truck, if you can find reliable parts support.

The Ruster is heavy, slow and built like a tank. It's popular with alot of guys because you can't kill it with a brick. Hit it with a hammer, and you break the hammer. It has ZERO adjustability, poorly designed transmission and slipper clutch, cheap shocks, oiled bushings, and garbage electronics. Despite this, it's a favourite choice for upgrading, to make it better. But by the time you add bearings,bearing carriers, new motor, new wheels, new tires, aluminum idler gear, etc, you have almost enough spent to have bought a Losi RTR, that would still run rings around the Rustler. I'm not a fan of Traxxas stuff, and definately not a fan of the Rustler, for just that reason. On the otherhand, you can jump it off of a moving semi, over an arch bridge, and there's a good chance it will survive the impact.....

Get whatever is going to be easiest for you to get parts for. Just, believe me when I tell you, a Rustler is a hopeless money pit!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:18 PM
cavfighter

LOL. I would like to see my tackle some of those same obstacles. Wait not mine maybe someone elses lol. Good point Skrap.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:20 PM
smitty4
My Feedback: (4)

What are you going to be doing with the truck?

If the answer is bashing(jumping and not racing) I would go with the rustler like the guys ^ said the truck is not going to be a good truck for racing, but you will never brake a part on the truck. I have a stampede basically a rustler and it can take abuse, and tons of it. I have hit the ground with the front skidplate 4-5 times when I thought something is sure to be broken, but it just crawls away unharmmed. Notice crawls the truck is slow to me but since you are a noob either of these trucks are going to be "fast" for you. I do not have much knowledge about the xtm but I would do some research yourself into each, and not shoot one out of the picture because of what we say...

BTW EVERYBODY THE RUSTLER/STAMPEDE MAY NOT BE THE FASTEST OR BEST OUT OF THE BOX BUT I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY A LITTLE CRASH DERBY WITH YOU AND SEE WHAT COMES OUT WITH NO BROKEN PARTS! lol j/p
Old 12-02-2005, 02:34 AM
jaejw1

the xtm is a good car..... i use mine for racing

http://www.racernine.com/allmovies.html
checkout the video on the electric XC
Old 12-02-2005, 09:49 AM
SkrapIron

If all you want to do is bash, get the Stampede. It's got more ground clearance, goes more places, and makes no attempt to try to look like something you'd want to race. It's a pure basher.
No offence to the UltimateTraxxas fans, but I certainly have better things to do with my money than re-invent the Bandit or the Rustler... What I don't get are the guys that start dremmeling the crap out of the chassis to make it lighter. That also takes away the structural integrety of the truck, and actually makes it weaker than most RTR's.

If you go with the Pede, you will want bearings, bearing carriers, metal gear steering servo, aluminum idler gear, aluminum shock caps, and a new motor. Figure on dumping about $280.00 including the truck to bring it up to a 'fun' level. ( But again, that's why I don't like Traxxas stuff! You can buy a better equipped Losi XXX-T RTR for $40.00 less! )