Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best Stock Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 02:48 PM
BillMill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Stock Motor?

What are some of the better stock motors on the market? I am looking for something that will last and doesn't require much maintenance...does anyone know anything about the Tamiya Super Stock Motors?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:42 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Default RE: Best Stock Motor?

The tamiya motors are very reliable, but only top out at around 27mph which my 13 dollar tower hobbies motor does easy. I'd get the epic binary 2
Old 12-04-2005, 05:56 PM
RaVen1357

Other notable stock motors: Trinity P2K, P2K2, Monster Horsepower, Revenge of the Monster, Green Machine 1&2; Reedy MVP.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:11 PM
xism

the kyosho super stock 34 was awesome...
hard to find these days....
Old 12-04-2005, 08:35 PM
MuffinMan06

I have a P2k2 and it works well and goes pretty fast
Old 12-05-2005, 10:09 AM
SkrapIron

All brushed motors will require some maintenance, at regular intervals. Stock motors (27t) have longer service intervals because they overall do not draw much by way of amperage, and therefore do not gernerate signifigant heat. Many 27t stock motors can safely be run as many as 20+ times, between service intervals.

There is a problem with doing so. As the motor runs, the brushes breakdown and wear away. This is from a combination of friction, and current flow. As the brush wears, it deposits carbon fouling on the surface of the commutator plates. As with the brushes, the commutator plates errode away as well. The combination of fouling and plate errosion results in further reduced efficeincy in the motor. After a period of time, the resistance to current flow, caused by the contamination and errosion will exceed the motor's ability and it will fail. Often, the failure is simply a popped brush ( the current actually exceeds the capacity of the brush, and it explodes). Less common is a complete meltdown. The byproduct of electrical resistance is heat. As that resistance increases, so then does the heat generated by the motor. In most cases, the current overloads the motor, and solder joints fail. If you use a mechanical connection,such as no solder leads, the temperature continues to climb until the next link fails. In this case, the plastic of the endbell simply melts.

It is very important to maintain DC brushed motors on a regular basis. This maintenance includes: periodic replacement of the brushes, resurfacing of the commutator plates, and oiling the endbell bushings/bearings.

Running a comm stick or other abrasive over the comm surface will remove some of the contamination, but it does not return the comm plates to a uniform diameter. The result is a further drop in efficiency, as well as accelerated brush wear.

Of the 27t stock motors, I like the Reedy MVP, Trinity P2k2, Monster Horse Power,or Green Machine. Most 27t stock motors will push an average sized stadium truck to around 24mph.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Metalhack
My Feedback: (1)

I dont run stock but at my track this guy is getting a huge following and his motors seem to rip and his service is very reasonable. I have also heard customer service was outstanding.

http://www.teameamotorsports.com/

Old 12-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Evader 53

ORIGINAL: Fyredup

I dont run stock but at my track this guy is getting a huge following and his motors seem to rip and his service is very reasonable. I have also heard customer service was outstanding.

http://www.teameamotorsports.com/

I have heard of those motors before from a guy at my LHS, he said they are very good and perform well on the track.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:02 PM
love those warbirds
My Feedback: (39)

I love the HPi Satrun 20t! Built in fan. I have not had any 17T and up beat it. I have 4 of them! I Can't get enough!