Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Motor Upgrade Problem (bandit)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Upgrade Problem (bandit)

I upgraded the motor of my stock bandit to a 19t, more efficient motor. Forward works fine, but reverse was very sluggish and hardly worked. I checked all the connections, continuity of the solder joints, etc., all fine, so I started it up again, pulled into the reverse and this time there was a popping noise and smoke coming out of the XL-1 ESC (the one it came with). So I stopped it immediately, let it cool off. Now it won't reverse / brake it all, goes forward just fine as it always has. When I try to reverse it just makes a clicking noise (like a relay switching) and stays in neutral. If I hook the stinger back up to the ESC now it doesn't reverse either. Is there a fuse inside the ESC that I could replace possibly or are the motor outputs wired directly to the FETs? Do I need a better ESC than the XL-1 to use a real motor? In the manual it claimed to be able to be capable with any motor down to a 16-turn... I use the bandit only for fun not racing / competition.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:53 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Motor Upgrade Problem (bandit)

Yep, it sounds like the esc is bad. The xl-1 is borderline on a 17-19 turn motor, especially with good batts or 7 cells. No fuse that I know of. You need a bit better esc.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:43 PM
happywing

I've heard this before. Yes, a better ESC is the answer. Whadaya want to spend?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:49 PM
treflip98

Dude just get the Duratrax Intellispeed esc.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGZX1&P=ML

This esc should run that motor with no problems and is cheap. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Freaker

Is your motor a 19T spec motor? If so it probably has a fixed 24 degree timing and will not run worth crap in reverse no matter what ESC you have. I also don't think it is good on any of your electronics to run this type of motor in reverse for very much time. The XL-1 is is outdated and the 17T limit is very questionable. I smoked mine within a few runs using and under geared 19T Reedy quad mag and 6 cell GP3300s.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: Freaker

Is your motor a 19T spec motor? If so it probably has a fixed 24 degree timing and will not run worth crap in reverse no matter what ESC you have. I also don't think it is good on any of your electronics to run this type of motor in reverse for very much time. The XL-1 is is outdated and the 17T limit is very questionable. I smoked mine within a few runs using and under geared 19T Reedy quad mag and 6 cell GP3300s.
Yeah I use the reverse mainly for braking and 3-point turns, never more than 1 second continuos. The ESC I just got to replace it has auto-brake/reverse and auto-reverse shutoff. The new motor is forward-advancing while the stinger was neutral so I'm not expecting much when it comes to reverse; I just want the ability to stop/reverse so I don't keep crashing into things.