Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

How to choose a motor for my sons Stampede?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to choose a motor for my sons Stampede?

Im looking for a good motor to put in my sons RTR Stamped. I have a few 3000mah NmH batteries, a new Indi16X4-Pro charger, Masher2000 tires, and a Duratrax Intellispeed 16T Mild Mod ESC. WHat can I get for a motor that will:

1 Not destroy battery life. We are getting 20-25 min run time on the batteries and loving it!

2 Add some serious TQ and be able to lift the front tires!

3 At the same time we add TQ, I want to add RPM/Speed potential. We want this thing to zing faster!

70% of the running in on my blacktop driveway, the other 30% is in the grass hill along side my driveway. The fun for now is high speed jumping and going top speed down the driveway while the dog is chasing the truck. Our jump is a 4' long 12"x12" that I screwed a 4'x4' piece of plywood to. We are getting about 14"-16" off the ground and flying about 3-4 feet in distance. Im looking at adding motor for more excitement and better grass ability. Last night I ran to the local shop, they sold me something called a Integy Matrix V-10 Stock motor. Its not in yet, but the guy told me it was a good motor and sold it to me for 25 bucks. The package says the motor is good for approx 50 runs! It says to change the brushes after every 3-5 runs. Thats not the kind of thing I want for my 9 yr old to rip around the driveway with, I want a low maintenance, high performance motor that will chug along for weeks without any maintenance.

Please help me get a good motor for my son's fun. I want this to be a fun and exciting hobby that we can both be involved in, I dont want it to be a lesson on how to fix and maintain things that are constantly broke and in need of maintenance...thats not fun to a 9 yr old!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:39 AM
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: How to choose a motor for my sons Stampede?

Ok, well then theres a 20t on the pede stock. But you probably won't enjoy the long run times with a 16t. I think a good way of thinking about it is the lower the turns the shorter the battery life. A 17t would probably give you a 8-12 minute run. I recommend the venom racing fireball, 17x2
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHUJ0&P=ML
Or if your looking for more simplicity and longer run times. I have 4 of these:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDWY0&P=7
That one has more run time but acts like a 18t. I own both moters. And I give them both 5 out of 5. Just me two cents. GL-----Rick. Feel free to ask me more q's about them.[8D]
Old 01-05-2006, 11:46 AM

I assume your running the stock Stinger motor now? If so, your top speed is somewhere in the high teens...Everything you ask for can be found in a brushless setup. If you want speed AND runtime it's the only way to go. The Novak line is good stuff and you don't have to go for insane speed. The 4300 Super Stock will put you in the mid 20's and your runtime will greatly increase. Of course, if you want insane speed, that's available too. The Novak GTB 6.5 will get you over 30mph and runtime will probably be similar to what you have now. The LRP Sphere is good too, with the NEO motors ranging from 13T (awesome runtime, good speed) to 7T (Insane speed, decent runtime). And the best part, virtually no maintenance. No commutator to cut, no brushes to buy/solder. Just go!

I don't know of a high performance brushed motor that will "chug along for weeks." The faster you go, the more maintenance with brushed. I have heard that the Orion SV2 motors go a long time between cuts/brushes.

Whatever you decide, make sure to purchase an aluminum idler gear for your transmission.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:34 PM

I was under the impression that to go with a brushless motor I would have really step up the wallet streatching.....I dont want to spend my next weeks paycheck on the new toy...lol! What would it take realisticly to go brushless? Is my current batteries/Charger/Speed Control all going to be OK with it? Whats a ball park number I would be looking at to get into a brushless setup and ready to set him loose to tear up the driveway? Thanks for the advise [sm=confused.gif]
Old 01-05-2006, 01:33 PM
My Feedback: (18)

There is another thread in here talking about a company that sells remanufactured Novak 5800 brushless set ups for $164. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3728246/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3728246/tm.htm[/link]You can get a brand new brushless system for 150-250 range and anywhere inbetween. Your batteries and charger you have now will work fine with a brushless system.

I have a Stampede, and I decided to buy the Reedy 19T Quad Mag for mine. It is a nice motor for that truck, but it doesn't have the wheelie popping power you are looking for. Your ESC will handle alot hotter motor, but you would have to rebuild the motor more often and you would get shorter runtimes.

I think you should give a nice 15T or 17T brushed motor a shot and see how you like it. They are only about $50 at most, and you can always upgrade later if you don't like it.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:34 PM

It depends on use, but to go fast, brushless is cheaper in the long run. Modified (brushed) motors need frequent commutator cuts and replacement brushes. It costs about $10.00 each time you do this. If this truck is going to get used a lot, brushless will save you money. The other bonus is that you don't need to spend the time that it takes to get a comm cut and solder on new brushes. And maybe the biggest bonus, very long runtimes. Sounds to me like an entry level brushless system would be perfect for you. The Novak 5800ss and 4300 are good choices.

Here's a good deal for a refurbished 5800ss: http://www.shopatron.com/product/pro...565.7521.0.0.0
Here's a thread on this deal: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3728246/tm.htm

You can find better deals on eBay, with the Novak 4300 (which I think would be perfect for your situation) going for around $120.00 used.

Your charger should be OK
Your batteries may be OK - The Novak SS speed controls are the least fussy of any out there when it comes to batteries.
Your speed controller will not be OK - Part of a brushless package is the ESC and they are usually pre-wired.

So, it's basically pay now or pay later. If you pay now with brushless, you have 100's of carefree runs ahead. The paying later with brushed comes in the form of comm cuts, brushes, time and maintenance.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:49 PM
My Feedback: (18)

[link=http://www.fdc.arizona.edu/drennen/stampede/videos.cfm]http://www.fdc.arizona.edu/drennen/stampede/videos.cfm[/link]

Click on this link to see some videos of Stampedes with a brushless setup. Don't let your son see these videos yet, or he will fall in love with brushless. hahhaha
Old 01-05-2006, 02:06 PM

Brushless does mean less motor maintenance, but expect to do more overall car maintenance with the increased crashing power . My Pede was rock solid when I was running a Reedy QM 19T for months. I only had to replace a stripped idler gear with the aluminum one and replace a broken body mount after an afternoon of trying to land back flips. Since installing a GTB 5.5 2 weeks ago I have torn the car up. I have broken more than half the parts and tore up the diff. Don't get me wrong, I love the power and the speed, but it comes with its own set of headaches.

If I were you I would get the Reedy QM 19T, an aluminum idler, and a 16T pinion. I was running a hotter pack than you (GP3300's) but that combo with the MK2000s gave me tons of torque and some nice top speed. I had to add the Swami bar to save the tranny case from all the wheelies. The motor is cheap at about $35. Clean the motor out and lube the bearings every 5-10 runs, change the brushes when they get worn down. If you can true the comm when you change the brushes, if you can't at least try to clean it up. Once the Comm has been cut too much or has worn away you can buy a replacement armature from tower for like $19.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:39 PM

Ok, I have been scouring the net for 2 days now, and I have gathered some intelligance on recomendations of electric motors with Stampedes. I'm admitting up front, my wife would knife the hanging boys off if I spent 150-250 right now on this toy.

So, from the list I have gathered, I have found these to be recomended:

Trinity-
P2K - Mentioned twice
P2K2 - Mentioned multiple times
Monstor - Mentioned Multiple times
Chameleon - Mentioned once

Reedy-
19T Quad Mag - Mentioned multiple times

Venom -
Fireball 17T

Orion -
SV2

So from that list, tell me what you think I should choose for decent run times, and smokin tire power, with scare my 9 yr old speed. Is my list lacking something important? Is there an obvious flaw with any of those choices...any of them that should be deleted from my list because they are obviously bad choices?
Old 01-05-2006, 03:37 PM

I've had all of these motors except for the Chameleon:

The Trinity motors are all good. I like the Monster the best.
The 19T quad mag is a great choice
The Venom Fireball is a big pile of poo and should be swiftly deleted from your list

I would go with the SV2, because you don't want to cut comms and change brushes all the time. It can go the longest between cuts/brushes. I'd go with this one: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJAJ5&P=7

This should give you ample power and speed. If geared correctly (12/87), you may get it to pull wheelies. That said, the performance will drop off after about 5 runs and it will continue to drop off with each subsequent run until the comm is cut and the brushes changed.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:45 PM
My Feedback: (325)

The only flaw I see is that to get more power (without brushless) and speed runtime will go down. To get more runtime, speed has to come down/ and or maintenance will go up.

I do it the cheap and easy way which is to cut out the chassis a bit and put in 8 cell battery. This gives whopping increase of speed and tork without any other mods. The runtime goes down if you run it faster though, if you drive it the same speed as b-4 then runtime will go up.