Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
gtb (5.5 or 6.5)
58.33%
Sphere Neo
41.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Sphere/neo or gtb (5.5 or 6.5, clarify plz)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 01:50 PM
bemmermazda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sphere/neo or gtb (5.5 or 6.5, clarify plz)

Think about EVERYTHING and say what you think

some things to think about

1. is it reliable
2. is it quick
etc.

purpose= bashing
Old 02-02-2006, 01:58 PM
michelob78

Default RE: Sphere/neo or gtb (5.5 or 6.5, clarify plz)

One thing I see, it's easier to go from brushed to brushless on the sphere. The GTB has a 3 wire brushed setup that can mean soldering between changes. There have been complaints of the GTB causing glitching?.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:49 PM
R/C fan-addict

yeah I didn't hear of any GTB glitching before I bought mine (it's shipped but still in transit...) but now after my order is placed all of a sudden all these stories of glitching appear! lol! I am buying the neo 4star motor when I save up some more. The GTB is better than the sphere since it can handle more current and lower turn motors. The sphere is better than the GTB since it weighs less and is smaller. I reccomend the GTB w/ a neo 4 star since it's about the fastest you can go without going hacker or lehner which are two companies I've heard very little of and am not familiar with.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:47 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I have the Sphere/Neo 3star.

I just got them yesterday so I've only used them a little bit, but here's my take on it...

Sphere - very easy to program, relatively small/light (it's not the smallest or lightest, but considering that it does both brushed and brushless you can't expect it to be tiny). But, most importantly, it looks pimp LOL. The reverse on it could be better, it really needs about a 3 second delay before slamming into reverse. I don't use reverse and didn't even know it had it when I ordered it so that doesn't bother me. Oh, and I'm using a Futaba 2PL (AM) and have had no glitching.

Neo 3 star - frankly, it wasn't what I had expected. No maintenence is nice, but the runtime I'm getting is pretty poor, and to be honest it didn't meet my expectations speed wise. So far the best I have got it to do in my B4 is 38mph, I'm going to go back out and see if I can get it to do 40mph (40mph+ is what I was expecting it to do). I'm sure I can get it to do 40mph if I used a bigger pinion (I'm actually a bit undergeared) and cranked up the timing, but my goal is to get it to do 40mph as is.

EDIT----

Just hit 42mph, I'm now officially impressed
Old 02-02-2006, 03:50 PM
stockerbrian

I have the GTB 6.5 setup in my FT RC10B4. I have not experienced any glitching whatsoever but then again I do have an FM radio. Which if memory serves some were alluding to AM radios being the trouble spot. Huge power, good low-end modulation-no cogging issues. I have it currently running a 19/81 setup but have done the 18/81 setup. Both worked supremely. Other than half disassembling the car to install (didn't want to cut and resolder factory wiring) and some facy mounting. I love it. Just remember on either kit to check your grub screw in your gears religously. Since you don't have to remove the motor constantly for cleaning they will work loose.