Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Rustler or T4 for a complete n00b? (no racing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 10:20 AM
barnett25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rustler or T4 for a complete n00b? (no racing)

Hey guys,

I've been wanting to get an RC truck for a while now, and I finally have the chance. But I'm unsure what to get. I won't be doing any racing, just playing around. I do want some decent speed though. My main concern is durability, because I can't afford to be constantly buying parts to replace what I broke. I have been looking at the Rustler (rtr esc) because it fits my budget better, and seems to be pretty popular. But alot of people seem to like the T4. It is really too expensive for me, but if it is going to last 3 times as long as the Rustler I might try to scrape up the money. Is the Rustler going to nickel and dime me to death with replacement and upgrade parts (and the T4 wouldn't)? Basically what I'm asking is: Is the only advantage to getting the T4 being able to race it, or will it make a MUCH better play truck also?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Haulin Azz

Default RE: Rustler or T4 for a complete n00b? (no racing)

If you want something to play or bash with get the rustler or the more capable stampede both traxxas. The t4 is mainly a race truck.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:36 AM
SourMilk

i think youd like the rusty
Old 02-04-2006, 10:39 AM
barnett25

So the Stampede would be better than the Rustler? I just chose the Rustler because I figured it would handle alot better with it's lower center of gravity (I wouldn't have to flip it back over after it rolled every time I turned it). Would you say the Stampede is the best RC for playing around (jumps, etc.)?
Old 02-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Evader 53

I, as well as many on these forums own a stampede. It is a great truck to jump around with. Not too fast out of the box (17mph), but as tough as a nail. Out of all my rc cars, I run the Stampede the most because of its fun factor.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:59 AM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

I wouldnt go with the t4 here. Unless you plan on doing moderate bashing then dont go with it. If you plan on just hitting a few small jumps here and there then I reccomend the t4. It should be kinda durable because its supposed to be a race truck and I thought race trucks had to be durable so they could finish the race in one piece. Now if you are looking for large jumps, hitting a few cars on accident (or other objects that dont move when you hit them) then go with the rusty. I have a rusty and I love it. The only reason I halfway reccomend the t4 is because it has features that come stock that are upgrades for the rustler. With the rusty, you need to get 5x11 bearing carriers and 8 5x11 bearings. Then if you want to upgrade the motor to something powerful, you are going to eventually have to get an aluminum idler gear. After those upgrades though, you will love your rusty. I still havent broken a part on mine and Ive had mine since christmas 2 years ago. Since then its taken many slams bad landings and other things. Great truck once you upgrade it. I think the price difference between the t4 and rusty will leave you enough money left over to hop up your rusty to your liking. Also have you considered getting a kit? There are some t3's on ebay from what I have heard, that are much more durable than the t4.

Also, I reccomend that if you get a rusty, try to get a rolling chassis so you can add your own electonics. The stock electronics on the rusty are the worst thing about it and you are going to upgrade them soon. If you get a rolling chassis, get a reedy quad mag 19t motor, an esc of your choice (I would go with a waterproof one incase you ever feel like snow running or any other wet runnin {note that you still have to waterproof the servo and reciever though}) and then a radio of your choice. If you dont have anybody near you that has rc cars or if you dont live near any powerlines or any other thing that could cause interferance then you can go with an AM radio although its not reccomended because you might want to upgrade later and then you will have a useless radio. I still use an AM radio but it might not work for everybody else like it works for me.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:03 AM
gunnut

ORIGINAL: Evader 53

I, as well as many on these forums own a stampede. It is a great truck to jump around with. Not too fast out of the box (17mph), but as tough as a nail. Out of all my rc cars, I run the Stampede the most because of its fun factor.
I concur. The pede is outstanding. No $$ will be spent on replacing broken parts. Very easy to upgrade and make it faster.

here's a link to my [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3833095/tm.htm]stampede video[/link]

the rustler and stampede are both great choices.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:06 PM
barnett25

Ok, now I'm basically trying to decide between the Rustler and the Stampede. What can one do that the other can't (or can't do as well)? Why should I get the Stampede? Why should I get the Rustler? I can't seem to find any kind of comparison article about these two.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:10 PM
David236

The Stampede has higher ground clearance and larger tires which make it run on grass and over obstacles alot better than the Rustler.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:22 PM
SS Pede

barnett25 - You're right about the Rusty having a lower center of gravity and therefore better handling. The Stampede's main off-road appeal is that it has HUGE center ground clearance (and larger tires stock). This center clearance allows you to get over more rugged terrain, but it also puts the battery pack way up high. You can sort of compromise by putting big (stampede-like) tires on the Rustler to make it bit better in the rough stuff, but just keep in mind that center ground clearance will still be lower than the Pede. So it's a compromise. I went with a Pede because I was focused on monster trucks...I didn't really consider the Rustler (and didn't know much about it at the time, since I was new to the hobby). The rustler is still a great basher truck (certainly more stable), you just won't be able to drive over big rocks/logs/etc. as easily.
Old 02-04-2006, 07:42 PM
gunnut

ORIGINAL: SS Pede

barnett25 - You're right about the Rusty having a lower center of gravity and therefore better handling. The Stampede's main off-road appeal is that it has HUGE center ground clearance (and larger tires stock). This center clearance allows you to get over more rugged terrain, but it also puts the battery pack way up high. You can sort of compromise by putting big (stampede-like) tires on the Rustler to make it bit better in the rough stuff, but just keep in mind that center ground clearance will still be lower than the Pede. So it's a compromise. I went with a Pede because I was focused on monster trucks...I didn't really consider the Rustler (and didn't know much about it at the time, since I was new to the hobby). The rustler is still a great basher truck (certainly more stable), you just won't be able to drive over big rocks/logs/etc. as easily.
Yeah a Rustler with some [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUM93&P=ML]Masher 2000[/link] tires all the way around would nice. better handling than a stampede and more ground clearance than a stock rustler
Old 02-04-2006, 08:50 PM
doyab

flip a coin
Old 02-04-2006, 08:59 PM
Eugeit

[quote]ORIGINAL: capone12

With the rusty, you need to get 5x11 bearing carriers and 8 5x11 bearings.

I recently bought a rustler. Is there a big difference between the larger bearings and the stock bushings? I am considering this mod; or is this something to wait on until the bushings need replacement.?
Old 02-04-2006, 09:46 PM
gunnut

You'll probably notice a little more speed out of it with the bearings. bearings have much MUCH less friction compared to the bushings. The bushings will wear away at the moving parts. If you upgrade to the 5x8 bearings, they will fit in place of the stock bushings so you wouldn't need to buy new carriers. BUT those smaller bearings will break after a couple runs. the larger 5x11 bearings will last a very long time.
IMO it's the most important upgrade you can do to a Rusty/Pede
Old 02-04-2006, 11:50 PM
Rare

see...the rusty is coming back!!!!....id go with the rusty...only get the t4 if you wanna race...but even if you want speed u can make that rusty go as fast as you like.....you just need $$$$$$$
Old 02-05-2006, 09:00 AM
SourMilk

Ya, what he said
Old 02-05-2006, 10:11 AM
Loneranger840

I'd go with the rustler. You can make the Rustler have just about as much clearance under the front & back as the stampede, just not as high in the middle, which really doesn't matter unless your driving sideways.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:59 PM
Team Dominion

Rusty or Pede?

Well it depends on what you want out of the truck. If you are looking for a faster truck for dirt tracks and on road speed and jumping around, Something that just a few ho ups will give you a pretty fast truck worth loads of fun, then The Rusty is your truck.

If you are looking for some thing to go blasting through cornfeilds, chasing the neighbor hood cats through the alley, jumping over garbage cans in the back yard or busting aorund through the constuction site two blocks over, the the Pede is your truck.

There is a happy medium though!!!....Get a Rusty, fully extend the suspension( be mindful of your drive axle carries in the rear don't want to bind those up on the A arms), slap some Pede tires on it and bash it till your hearts content!

A few hop ups I would recomend here; the Novak Rooster Esc about $50 FLM Aluminum A arms (http://www.rc-monster.com) get the extended ones about $60 Put front wheels on the rear for a wider stance back there. And go with about a 16 turn motor. Water proof yer electronics (cuz wther you realize it or not you are GOING to get it wet).

So for around $300-$350 total (includes buying the truck) you can have yerself a really decent basher.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:31 PM
gunnut

ORIGINAL: Team Dominion

...jumping over garbage cans in the back yard...
YEP!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88710.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	402516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41644.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	402517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45197.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	402518  
Old 02-06-2006, 07:09 PM
barnett25

Well, I got a Rustler.
I hadn't really decided on what to get as of yesterday ( I wasn't even sure I was willing to spend that much money on an RC). But me and my fiance went to a hobby town usa just to look around. It turned out that they did have a Rusty with the ESC (a must from what I hear), and it was only $134.99, which is $5.00 LESS than what TowerHobbies.com was asking (I expected the b&m store to be MORE expensive than online. So I got the fever that only comes from feeling like you've found a good deal, and bought it, 2 3000mAH MegaVolt batteries (never heard of them, hope their good), and a Vision Peak 2 charger (never heard of it either, is it ok?). I played around with it a little after I got home and I have to say I am very impressed. I'm going to have to glue the tires, because they came off 3 times in a 10 min period. And I am already getting caught-up in the whole upgrading thing, thinking about how much faster it would be with a 16t motor, how much better it would look with Pro-Line Dirt Hawgs on all 4 wheels.
Anyway, thanks for the info and recomendations guys. You'll probably see me on this forum alot once I get more money saved up for some mods.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:12 PM
-Inverted-

I wasn't even sure I was willing to spend that much money on an RC
If you think a rustler was expensive you ain't seen nothing yet.....
Old 02-06-2006, 07:21 PM
gunnut

Cost of upgrades can start to add up. [sm=greedy.gif]

I stopped counting
Old 02-06-2006, 07:24 PM
barnett25

Well, with the $140 car, 2 $30 batteries, and a $45 charger it came out to over $250 with tax. Which was a shock after thinking about $150 for the car, I never really sat down and thought about what it would add up to with all accessories.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:30 PM
-Inverted-

A losi XXX-t2 is $269.99 and then you still need batteries and charger....
Old 02-06-2006, 07:37 PM
barnett25

ORIGINAL: cadillac_kid28

A losi XXX-t2 is $269.99 and then you still need batteries and charger....
True... I guess I got off easy when you think of it that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.