Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

first upgrade motor or battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 08:31 PM
holinger91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first upgrade motor or battery?

well i have really old batteries and realy old motors. im only 15 and off ebay im getting a speed gems motor around 20$ and batteries around 20$. sure there cheap but as a kid i dont have much to any income so im gettin 1 first then the other later. im looking for performance. i bought a ton of stuff thats anywhere from 15-5 years old that used to be professionally raced and i bought it for 20$ which is a steal cuz i checked it all up and it is easily worth at least 200$ but anyway both are outdated, i think neways i dont know how to tell how good the batteries are but im just wondering wat i should get first that will show more of a difference performance wise?

also since im new how long do u charge batteries for for each run? thanks
Old 02-05-2006, 08:40 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Default RE: first upgrade motor or battery?

batteries. These are the life of any rc.

The charging is depending on the settings of the peak charger. If you don't have a peak charge, then get that before anything.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:04 PM
holinger91

a peak charge? wats that
also i figured out my batteries say 1400mah on them i dont know wat that means but u could prolly tell me thanks
Old 02-05-2006, 09:11 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

wow, ur still rinning 1400's!!!???They have 3x that now a days. You're still running a nicad charger, and that's why you don't know about a peak charger. 1400 is how much capacity the batt has, or how long runtime the pack will get. A peak charger is a charger that can charge any battery pack and shuts off automatically when the pack is charged to it's full. If you don't have a peak charger, you will most likely blow up modern day cells.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:12 PM
MuffinMan06

well 1400mah batteries are on the crappy side of batteries, but don't get discouraged!! You can get a set of good radioshack 3000mah (I think it's 3000) for about 30 dollars. I have intellect 3600 batts., but heard about radioshack 3000 batteries.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:12 PM
kostaktinos_mt

'mah' is the rating of the capacity. 1400mah is pretty low for today`s standards. anyway, you NEED a good charger. what is your charger right now?
Old 02-05-2006, 10:02 PM
holinger91

well the charger is like a 2 piece thing. 1 is the power source the other is i think wat u may call an adaptor. the main power source says victor engineering 12 amp max. iq-power-1
the adaptor thing says TEKIN BC 100L. then theres a amp nob on it and a amps/volts switch that switches between the 2 and then a nother switch with 1 side saying SCR 1-10A and the other saying .5-5a SCE. tell me if the charger is fine then tell me wat each setting should be at. also wat is a trickle switch? if i need a new 1 im not spending no 70 dollars gettin 1. im 15 years old, my cars value all together wich is like 6 cars was only bought for 20 dollars so im not going out and spending all this money for something i might end up not being interested in. so thats about all. o and on the adaptor it also says high rate linear output. thx
Old 02-05-2006, 10:16 PM
kostaktinos_mt

the power supply is fine [12amps] and will probably come in handy even with new dc chargers. as for the charger...man...i hadn`t heard that BC for...10years i think? wow! actually its a good charger. very old, but trust-worthy and actually used to be a high-end competition charger back in the 90s. you should set it to 5amps. the problem is that isn`t made for nimhs. i have charged nimhs with success, but you will need to be cautious: use a 3or4 amps rate and you also would need a voltmeter to check the voltage drop [peak]. if i remember correctly, it has a built-in fixed cut-off at 0.12volts which is a bit high for modern nimhs.

*PS: nimh batteries are the newest technology. nicd are the 'old' chemistry ones.
Old 02-05-2006, 10:27 PM
holinger91

yes, the stuff is all wat used to be high end cuz he was a proffesional racer. so how long do i need to charge and wat do u mean be careful? also the whole votlmeter or watever thing im not gettin. wat is it and wat does it check for. wat does it look like? there are many other charger like things that came with that i dont know wat they are. thanks for the help and sorry for my stupidity
Old 02-05-2006, 10:34 PM
kostaktinos_mt

the charger stops charging automatically when the pack gets fully charged. you can get a new charger with good specs that will charge both nicds and nimhs for 25$. anyways, as i said, set the amp charge knob at 5A, and the trickle to ON/Enabled. when the trickle led starts flashing [if i remember correctly], your pack is full. at 5A setting, an empty 1400mah pack will get charged within 10-15minutes max. if you intend to buy nimh packs, i strongly recommend that you buy another charger [pm me when you are about to]. if not, you will have to get through the 'voltmeter stuff' lol! anyways, you can buy and use any 2400mah nicd battery you want with your current charger.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:40 PM
holinger91

ok well 25$ isnt bad at all ill have to pm u wen i find the batts i want. thanks alot for havin some patients with me ill be sure to pm u later.
Old 02-05-2006, 11:42 PM
kostaktinos_mt

just in case you decided, your power supply can be used with the duratrax intellipeak mini dc-only version, which costs 25$ [as i said] and you can find it at www.towerhobbies.com. that charger will charge any battery pack.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Evader_Newbie

here's my preffered upgrades:

1) body parts!!!! what good is a 12 turn motor if the car is too fast for its parts??
2) peak detection charger! what good is an ib3800 pack if it'll take half a day to charge eh?
3) obviously the batteries
4) get more experience driving first, then get the motor

hope this works for you!!
Old 02-06-2006, 12:32 AM
kostaktinos_mt

his charger is peak and hits 10amps charge rate by the way...
an ib3800 will be charged within 20minutes... lol! [not that i would ever recommend such a rate -especially for nimhs...]
Old 02-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Evader_Newbie

didn't read that part, sorry ithought he had one of those 15 dollar ones....but ya kostaktinos is right, charging at that right is a little bit overloading to me, you don't want to overheat ur batts a lot.....

And a word or advice (not an insult): try to know what ur buying before you actually buy it, because from what i heard from your posts, it doesn't sound like u know much about what ur buying (chargers, batts etc)...............

good luck
Old 02-06-2006, 01:13 AM
kostaktinos_mt

ORIGINAL: Evader_Newbie

And a word or advice (not an insult): try to know what ur buying before you actually buy it, because from what i heard from your posts, it doesn't sound like u know much about what ur buying (chargers, batts etc)...............

good luck

that was for me ?
Old 02-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Evader_Newbie

sorry kostaktinos, it was for holinger..............my dearest apologies
Old 02-06-2006, 01:22 AM
kostaktinos_mt

no prob, just i was surprized... no worries my friend...
Old 02-06-2006, 04:31 PM
elvispot
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: Evader_Newbie

here's my preffered upgrades:

1) body parts!!!! what good is a 12 turn motor if the car is too fast for its parts??
2) peak detection charger! what good is an ib3800 pack if it'll take half a day to charge eh?
3) obviously the batteries
4) get more experience driving first, then get the motor

hope this works for you!!
I agree!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:56 PM
holinger91

i know wat im buying i just cant talk fluently about them to that extent. trust me ive spent like 6 hours researching every option its just wen i go to post i cant remember everything i read and as far as the big purchase i already made i knew that was well worth it considering the wheels that i got alone are worth 60$ and i bought the entire set for 20$ so thanks alot ill take that in to consideration and as far as the parts well, i have a team losi xx (yes its from the early 90's)that new was like 400$ stock + the guy upgraded majorly so i dont know maybe im wrong but i think that should be able to handle a car going 30-35mph dont u? if not tell me. also are there any like parts on the body that have massivly changed since then? i thought maybe somethin with suspension or somethin may have changed tho mine seems pretty good
Old 02-06-2006, 04:58 PM
holinger91

o yea and also thanks to both of u i have decided to get a battery and the new charger and get my experience up before messin with a new motor. thanks
Old 02-06-2006, 05:46 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life

good decision
Old 02-06-2006, 09:13 PM
holinger91

i am still wondering wat batteries to get tho. i was thinking 3300's i dont remember wat there called but i know there on boomboom batteries for sure. would those be pretty good batteries?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:16 PM
kostaktinos_mt

get any of these:

6cell stick pack smc ib3800 35$ www.towerhobbies.com

6cell stick pack zapped ib3800 40-45$ www.boomboombatteries.com
Old 02-06-2006, 10:24 PM
holinger91

nope too expensive ill spend 25$ max im not in need of any super batteries. or are those that much better? wats so much better about those over 3300 for just bashing? i guess i havent looked into those ib ones so wats so much better about them?
sure there not that expensive but i have to buy a new charger, so im told cuz mine is nice but outdated. so unless for some reason my charger can charge them than i need to have some pretty convincing thing to get me to get it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.