Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

1/8th Nitro Buggy to Brushless Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 08:03 PM
crUshed420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8th Nitro Buggy to Brushless Conversion

Ever since I first saw a 1/8th scale nitro buggy, I've always wanted to convert one to brushless. The durability of these things is what interests me, and after reading studysession's conversion of the hyper 7 pbs I think I want to have a go at it! If you haven't seen the video of the brushless hyper 7 (powered by 12 cells and a feigao) check it out!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=467

(here's a link if you just want to see the video: http://67.18.81.100/rcuvideos/magazi...Video-Run1.wmv )

Well, now Tower Hobbies has the Ofna 1/8 Ultra MBX R2 Buggy (80% prebuilt) for sale at 179.99, and I'm thinking this would be the perfect roller for brushless.

Has anyone else tried the conversion, and how hard is it if you don't have a cnc mill?

Are there any major differences between the MBX R2 and the hyper 7, or should I be able to follow the instructions detailed in the article above?

I never wanted to spend the money on a 1/8 buggy just to rip a lot of it out, but if I can get a roller for $179 I think it's time!
Old 02-06-2006, 08:33 PM
CustomTamiyas4Life
My Feedback: (34)

Default RE: 1/8th Nitro Buggy to Brushless Conversion

I was going to do the same thing with thas same car, but when i added it all up, the lowest i would ever get it is like 700 bucks and that wasn't brushless. Very cool project though. I have access to a cnc, but without a cnc, you'll have to use a modified e-maxx motor mount.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:42 PM
-Inverted-

Go For It !!![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 02-06-2006, 08:51 PM
lreader

There are a couple of brushless 1/8 buggies running around. Here's mine:

Video
http://homepage.mac.com/lreader/iMovieTheater22.html

Photos
http://homepage.mac.com/lreader/PhotoAlbum18.html

Specs
Kyosho Inferno MP777
Nemesis B50 9XL Motor with bullet connectors to the ESC
Custom 7075 Aluminum Motor Plate
BK Electronics Warrior 9920 Car Electronic Speed Control
Spektrum Radio System with full telemetry
HiTec HSC 5998 TG High Torque, Titanium Digital Servo
Orion 4800 Platnum LiPo packs, (2 each)
14T Mod 1 Steel Pinion Gear
Plastic Spur Gear, 120000 weight Diff. Oil in Center Differential
Carbon Fiber Sticker to cover the aluminum chassis to help insulate it for the electronics
White springs on all shocks
Street Tires for testing in the street

Cost
About $1100.00 to 1400.00

Look on a nitro guy's face, priceless...
Old 02-06-2006, 09:38 PM
crUshed420

wow!!! that thing sounds like a wasps nest in a hurricane!! I love it!
Old 02-06-2006, 09:45 PM
happywing

Boy, I'd love a 1/8 electric buggy. Been thinking about trying it for a long time. Is an E-Maxx motor mount all you need? Seems to simple. I'd be nice if there were one in production by a major company.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:32 PM
crUshed420

what I still don't fully understand is how the motor plate attaches to the car...
Old 02-07-2006, 01:47 PM
lreader

You can see how it attaches on my website photos. The motor plate (yes, you could use an EMaxx motor plate) attaches to the center diff brackets. This sets the motor in a good postion to have the spur-pinion mesh easily.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:06 PM
crUshed420

ahhh, I see - I missed the step in the instructions that mentioned drilling holes to line up with the brackets. so you'd just need to cut the plate, and drill 2 holes... simple enough!

thanks for the help.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Combatcm
My Feedback: (1)

Here is my mount

My finished buggy actually has (had) it's motor in front of the spur gear and it is the only front mounted motor setup I know of.

It really cleans up some space and get the batteries in real tight so it can turn faster (less polar moment).

The ESC ended up fying from the endbells of the motor falling off and stalling it. I reccomend the closed endbell built in heatsink C series feigao black motors. I need a new ESC and a new motor. I'm just waiting for SOMEONE to get a suitable ESC (I'm yelling at Mtroniks here for their genesis truck esc).

I used 2 8 cell packs in parallel. 9.6v @ 6600mah. It ran for at least 15-16-17 minuted straight. I wouldn't doubt it could go longer than 20, though I never timed it. Wasn't a sloth accelerating also, traction was an issue up until it got around 35mph (gps confirmed).

Old 02-07-2006, 04:02 PM
gniessen
My Feedback: (5)

The question I have is: where do you find such a specialize pinion? I would love to do the same to my MT and Buggy, but can't find a pinion to match the Duratrax Nitro gears.

ORIGINAL: lreader

14T Mod 1 Steel Pinion Gear
Old 02-07-2006, 05:03 PM
lreader

Here is a source for the mod 1 pinions

http://www.starluckrc.com/catalog/
Old 02-07-2006, 07:59 PM
crUshed420

I keep reading that you shouldn't have steel on steel (pinion on spur) - is it really that big of a problem, or is it OK?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:05 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I don't think it will be a problem, lots of the the MT guys run metal spur gears and they don't seem to cause any problems. But that is on a nitro truck, I would think an electric car would be more susceptible to problems since you've already got the ESC and motor which can cause glitching themselves. Only one way to find out
Old 02-07-2006, 08:08 PM
R/C fan-addict

it should be fine cause robinson sells steel spur gears for the emaxx which has I think aluminum or steel pinions
Old 02-07-2006, 08:34 PM
darthballs

a brushless truggy would be sick. that ofna didnt look that fast but the 777 was crazy
Old 04-13-2006, 02:56 AM
magnumn

hi guys just wondering what motor plate you used in the original mp 777 the aluminium coloured one not the blue emaxx one ,can you buy them ?
or did u custom it your self? also it looks to have more adjustability compared to the blue annodised one above.
and if i do have to get the blue annodised emaxx plate would i have to custom it to fit the x-ray xb8 i have?
Old 04-13-2006, 03:26 AM
magnumn

lreader is that a 540 can size motor? because i seen on a site that had those nemisis blue does the b in b50 mean blue50 and them has the options of a 8,9,10,11,12 xl am i right?
because theres alot of different ones ,some say hacker b50 others say blue 50 etc im not sure of what one to choose where di u get urs from?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:11 AM
cspurlock

ORIGINAL: crUshed420

I keep reading that you shouldn't have steel on steel (pinion on spur) - is it really that big of a problem, or is it OK?
If you run steel on steel it will destroy the pinion inside of one battery pack. I know this doesn't make sense for all the reasons listed above, but believe me it does(I know 1st hand). I think it has to do that there is no clutch and way more torque than a nitro. If you ran a slipper, you probably could get away with it.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:15 AM
cspurlock

ORIGINAL: magnumn

hi guys just wondering what motor plate you used in the original mp 777 the aluminium coloured one not the blue emaxx one ,can you buy them ?
or did u custom it your self? also it looks to have more adjustability compared to the blue annodised one above.
and if i do have to get the blue annodised emaxx plate would i have to custom it to fit the x-ray xb8 i have?
Most people buy a plate from cold fusion, but it seems like he has a hard time producing them. This is what it looks like to me that Lreader had on his car from the pic's. I would just go buy an emax motor plate and modify it to bolt onto the back of the diff where the brakes used to screw in. If you have a drill and a dremel it is not that big of a deal. I have done 2 or 3 this way. Currently I just get some angle iron and make one out of that. This I think makes for the best way to mount it if you are going to try to make something yourself.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:27 AM
tadracket
My Feedback: (1)

Where are all the LiPos?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:27 AM
cspurlock

ORIGINAL: magnumn

lreader is that a 540 can size motor? because i seen on a site that had those nemisis blue does the b in b50 mean blue50 and them has the options of a 8,9,10,11,12 xl am i right?
because theres alot of different ones ,some say hacker b50 others say blue 50 etc im not sure of what one to choose where di u get urs from?
That motor is what is commonly reffered to as an "XL" sized 540 can. It is a knock off of a hacker B50 motor. They come in all different winds and are very reasonably priced, although this type of motor will run much hotter than a more expensive Hacker or Lehner motor. My experience has been if you want to bash around with Nicds for 5-8mins at a time any of these knock off motors (i.e. Nemesis, Feigao, BK Wanderer) will be fine. If you want to race with Lipo's for 15min's plus at a time, then you will have to go with a Lehner and a good speed control that is over 100 amps and put a fan on it. The BK 120 amp controller or the MGM 160 amp controller are both good choices. It just depends on what you want to do with it. I would just make sure you stick with an XL sized motor. There are a lot of people that use an L sized motor, although it will work, it is too small and will overheat easily(IMO). Here is a great place that sells all this stuff. http://www.rc-monster.com/
Old 07-24-2006, 01:02 PM
lxmuff

Just finished todayputting it together and test on the street. Runs great.
2-7.4V 4000 mah
Quark Monster 125B
Feigao 540C-7XL

Jaime at Starluckrc helped a lot with advice on motor and controller selection.
Also, thanks to Happywing for His good advise.

I'll try to run it on the track next weekend.

http://www.rcpics.net/media/100_1465.jpg
http://www.rcpics.net/media/100_1463.jpg
http://www.rcpics.net/media/100_1460.jpg

Old 07-24-2006, 01:33 PM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: lxmuff

Just finished todayputting it together and test on the street. Runs great.
2-7.4V 4000 mah
Quark Monster 125B
Feigao 540C-7XL

Jaime at Starluckrc helped a lot with advice on motor and controller selection.
Also, thanks to Happywing for His good advise.

I'll try to run it on the track next weekend.

http://www.rcpics.net/media/100_1465.jpg
http://www.rcpics.net/media/100_1463.jpg
http://www.rcpics.net/media/100_1460.jpg

That electronics setup is almost identical to the setup I'm ordering from starluck...

How is that feigao 540c-7xl? I'm also ordering the Quark 125b... it looks like a very nice sensorless controller!

Nice conversion... I can't wait to get my parts.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:23 PM
lxmuff

The XL motor is to try to reduce the heat off the motor. The controller is to try to not overheat it too. It does cost more than others but I need to try to reduce the burning up of those parts. I used a century 5 mm Hardened pinion from Tower Hobbies. I've only had it in the front so far and it didn't seem to get too hot. I'm going to Holly next weekend to try it out with the nitro trucks. I just ordered another set of batteries to help with the charging between rounds. I live down the road in Belleville if you want to see the setup and measure the brackets. It is very quick with the 11 tooth. I think I'll order a 13 teeth too.

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.