Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

GEARWIZARD CALCULATOR PROBLEM?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Speedbasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEARWIZARD CALCULATOR PROBLEM?

I was just using the Gearwizard Calculator, and I noticed I am getting completely different numbers than a few weeks ago with the exact same inputs. Also, I notice that the final ratio is now called "rollout ratio," when I think it used to be called something else. Does anyone know what's going on? Are the old numbers correct, or the new numbers?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Speedbasher

Default RE: GEARWIZARD CALCULATOR PROBLEM?

Okay, I think I found the problem. Based upon Skrapiron's formula, the Tire Circumference, Pinion:Spur Ratio, and Gearing Quotient are all calculating correctly. The only thing that's wrong is the final answer. I think that mysterious new name has something to do with this, unless I'm just imagining that part. Anyway, the old numbers are definitely correct. Just subtract the Gearing Quotient from the Tire Circumference and that should produce the correct numbers.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:38 AM
duneslider

I wonder who has been messing with it. Really, both methods give the same basic result. The problem with the calculator now is there aren't really good explainations as to what the numbers mean. I personally liked the way it was before because it made sense to me. There is nothing wrong with the new one and you can get to the numbers you were getting before if you do a little work. I think they need to have both of the calculators there and explain what each is saying.

It really is curious that it has changed, I wonder who is behind it. A while back there was a big thread and a lot of arguing over which method was better. Really they are the same thing but display the info differently.

Interesting,
Duneslider
Old 02-13-2006, 08:13 PM
duneslider

Anyone have any idea why the gear wizard has been changed?

Just curious what is up with the change.

Later
Duneslider
Old 02-13-2006, 09:47 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I'll see what the deal is with it, I haven't heard anything about it being changed but it looks as if it deffinately has been.

It is now dividing the tire circ. by the final drive ratio. As well as I remember, it use to subtract one from the other.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:57 PM
duneslider

Really, this method works too, but if this method is going to be used then there needs to be some explanation as to what the numbers mean and how to tell if your setup is good or not.
I personally liked the other way better.

I think it would be good to have both methods available.

Later
Duneslider
Old 02-14-2006, 01:17 AM
michelob78

On it.......
Old 02-14-2006, 12:21 PM
Speedmunkey
Banned

Change is a good thing, however this is the first I've heard of it being changed. I still have the original gearing spreadsheet, with the original method, if anyone wants the real deal. The old way worked well for me for a long time, I see no reason it should be changed.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:48 AM
jmac28

all of the other numbers are right except for the "rollout ratio". it is showing a much lower number than the old style one.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:19 AM
bwalker25

there was a thread "Mystery solved...blah blah blah" and the LAST post in that thread said something about having to divide instead of subtract....cant find it right now but I know that is for sure where I saw it at!