Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Setting up brushless

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 01:12 AM
aangelet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting up brushless

Hey guys,

I've been out of RC for a while. My last setup was an RTR Stampede Nitro and that was a couple of years ago. I kind of got the itch again and stopped by my LHS and walked out with an RC10T4 RTR SE truck. Well, that was 2 weeks ago. Since then I've picked up half a dozen 3.3Ah 6 cell batteries and I've been driving the heck out of this truck. Last week I decided to get another motor for my truck and got a Venom 15T modified D. I think.

What it comes down to is this. I've already grown tired of checking brushes and springs on the motor. Now I'm hearing that I should get a motor lathe for something that needs to be turned down in the motor. These are headaches that I don't want or need. Last night I ordered a Novak GTB system with the 5.5 motor. I also ordered an extra 5800 motor (for the kids to run).

I understand that the "system" comes prewired with everything hard wired (soldered) in place. If this is true, I'm going to need to cut the wires and install plugs so that I can route the wires to get them out of the way.

My question is this. If/when I cut the wires will the use of the connectors add resistance to the system. I plan to solder the connectors to the wires. I do a bit of work on electronics so I have silver solder laying around. I this OK for this stuff, or should I use some basic roisin core solder?

I've also heard horror stories of people having glitching problems with their brushless systems and cars with a graphite chassis. When I install my radio, should I "prop" it up on a small wooden block. I am inclined to do this, but don't want it getting knocked off.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Doahh

Default RE: Setting up brushless

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD175&P=7
2 of those... put 2 posatives on one side and a negative on the other
Old 02-14-2006, 11:30 AM
happywing

This is the way to go with brushless:
These
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJPY2&P=7
and these
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJPY3&P=7
and this
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKX34&P=ML

Your chassis is composite, so you don't have to worry about that type of interference. If anything gives you trouble, it will be the AM radio. I don't know how old "the kids" are, but the 5800ss will push your T4 over 30mph. Have fun!
Old 02-14-2006, 04:05 PM
aangelet

Thanks for the tips guys. My LHS had those in stock so I grabbed a bunch. I went through all of my connections and ALL of them were just crimped. I went to everything and soldered it all tight.

If it will do 40 with the 5800, I'm wondering what it will do with the 5.5.

I just went and picked up a Duratrax ESC and a Team Check Point 10X2. I couldn't pass is up. The Team Check Point motor is unlike anything I've seen. It's pretty quick and has lots of power, but I hope the 5.5 is faster. Although I still need to clown around with the gearing.

Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 PM
gm72

Doahh, how do those Duratrax Powerpoles compare to the Deans plugs?
Old 02-14-2006, 09:58 PM
Doahh

equal... deans won't pull apart like those though and most people prefer deans because their soldered onto the battery wires... etc
Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 PM
SS Pede

I got powerpoles because they are typically easier to solder and easier to pull apart than deans. Of course, some people think they come apart too easily and might accidentally disconnect in a crash. Personally, this has never happened to me, even after some huge jumps and tumbles the other day. It really comes down to personal preference.