Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Deans Ultra, Powerpole, Gold plated bullet, Tamiya, etc exact resistances?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Deans Ultra, Powerpole, Gold plated bullet, Tamiya, etc exact resistances?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Flyojumper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deans Ultra, Powerpole, Gold plated bullet, Tamiya, etc exact resistances?

I'll soon upgrade all my plugs on my 1/10th buggy and I was originally planning to go with Deans Ultra everywhere.
However I keep seeing posts of people using gold plated bullet connectors, Powerpole, etc and it made me wonder exactly how much resistance do all those plugs have? If they have the same resistance value as a Dean Ultra, I was thinking I could maybe use some powerpole or gold plated bullet between the motor and ESC since they are skinnier than deans and would fit easily through my rear shock tower (where my current regular bullet connectors are right now).

Could someone give me actual resistance values of those plugs:
- regular Kyosho/Tamiya
- Deans Ultra
- Powerpole
- regular bullet connectors
- gold plated bullet connectors
- and any other major plug I might have forgotten?

Although exact resistance values would be most appreciated, if someone could rank them in order of least to highest resistance, it would also be very appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 02-14-2006, 01:47 PM
raz54

Default RE: Deans Ultra, Powerpole, Gold plated bullet, Tamiya, etc exact resistances?

That might be tough to do. Some one would have to have all of them to check. I would think any of the high performance connectors would be good, a lot better than the stock tamiya that's for sure. Personally I like the Deans Ultras, never had one melt from heat yet.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:33 AM
Flyojumper

Default RE: Deans Ultra, Powerpole, Gold plated bullet, Tamiya, etc exact resistances?

I'd actually be quite surprised if no one around here knew this info.
All the racers are very concerned about ESC and connectors resistance (ESCs are usually rated in the 5th digit for resistance...) Testing plugs seems like a really cheap and effective way to ever so slightly increase performance, I'm sure some people must know the answer...
Old 02-15-2006, 11:11 AM
-Inverted-

From my uses deans work great, although I havnt used the powerpoles.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:16 AM
livthemoment

ORIGINAL: Flyojumper

I'd actually be quite surprised if no one around here knew this info.
All the racers are very concerned about ESC and connectors resistance (ESCs are usually rated in the 5th digit for resistance...) Testing plugs seems like a really cheap and effective way to ever so slightly increase performance, I'm sure some people must know the answer...
as a quote racer... I only use deans for my battery packs... everything else is hard wired directly from esc to battery and motor. That produces the least amount of resistance... plugs add resistance. The general thought for Deans ultra plugs is it has low enough resistance.. that additional resistance is just due to added length of wire. I personally think that the solder on the plugs adds resistance since solder is not as good of a conductant as the wire by itself.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Flyojumper

Thanks for the comments guys. I agree that solder might add some resistance.
I knew Deans are good and that many people use them but I still don't know if they are "king of the hill" in the resistance department.
I'd be dumbfounded if serious racers hadn't spent the time to actually compare all the plugs available. It really wouldn't take much time or money to compare them and racers being (for the majority I guess) so perfectionist about performance improvement, I'm suprised something so minor and easy to test would go under the radar...
Why settle for something "good enough" if there is something better out there?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:03 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got out my trusty multi meter a deans conector has 0.1 ohms of res
tamiya havs 1.4 ohms
a foot long section of deans ultra wire has 0.1 ohms
a blob of solder has 0.1 ohms
dont have any other connectors so someone els bust out their meter and get to testing
Old 02-15-2006, 02:20 PM
michelob78

You need a much more accurate meter to test ohms that low........ It's just hype if you ask me, sure you might get .005 less ohms between connector's, but could you EVER tell the difference? of course not, racers like to keep people guessing. I have a fire-proof charge box I made to safely charge packs when I am not at the pits, I put a "High Voltage" decal on it..... you should see how many people ask me about it. Just keeps em guessing........

By the way I am talking about the difference between good connectors, I know the tamiya ones are bad, I actually have old japanese equipment at work that uses a tamiya style connector.... They just were not designed to carry that kind of current.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:22 PM
Flyojumper

Discgolfer72, thanks for the numbers.
Michelbob78, yes personally I would most likely not see the difference. However, I see people discussing all the time how better quality ESCs can give better performance with the same motor given their lower resistance and we are talking about a difference between 0.00xx ohm and 0.000xx between high end and low end ESCs, so I think those same people should definitely care about their connectors exact resistance.
Also, it never hurts to have the best, even if you can't tell the difference, at least you know your system is optimized.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:27 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my meter goes to .000 and as tested thoes ore the reading i got i have the best blue point digital meter u can get for automotive testing and with the new tech in the pcu' it needs to be exact
Old 02-15-2006, 07:09 PM
duggyb

ORIGINAL: discgolfer72

my meter goes to .000 and as tested thoes ore the reading i got i have the best blue point digital meter u can get for automotive testing and with the new tech in the pcu' it needs to be exact
MmMM Blue Point and Snap On.....nothing better in my mind

THNX
Duggy
Old 02-15-2006, 09:45 PM
michelob78

Yes... you are talking about the "on" resistance of the mosfets in the esc, that does matter as lower cost mosfets with a higher resistance run hotter, which also kills the mosfet. The connector is a different ballpark, if you check a deans ad they state "less resistance than the same length of wire" and "makes hardwiring obsolete". If you want the lowest resistance you can't beat quality wire, hardwired.

I understand the meter was of good quality just not accurate enough, see how the blob of solder and the foot of wire were both .1 ohm I seriously doubt they were the same resistance...
Old 02-15-2006, 09:48 PM
losiracer753
My Feedback: (1)

i like the deans and direct solder