Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

30mph SMASH into 1 foot concrete cUrb

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:13 AM
crUshed420

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30mph SMASH into 1 foot concrete cUrb

Just had to vent...

We had a crazy nice February 15th here in Toronto (5 degrees celcius above zero) and it hadn't snowed in awhile, so there were snowless patches all over the place yesterday - the perfect excuse to dust off the rc's and get some winter runtime in.

So my buddy with his t4 and me with my xxx-4 hit the local park for some race-bashin'. After almost a complete battery, I got a little careless with my speed and hit a slippery patch and slid off-course, flying head-on into a 1 foot concrete curb.

I was almost wot, so I'd guess it was going about 30mph. As I got closer to the wreck, I saw little black pieces all over the place, and I knew my bashing was done for the day lol

All tolled, here's the damage... following pieces broken:
Front left pivot support
Front pivot brace
Front diff cover
Battery post (battery slid forward breaking post, and post ripped into battery destroying pack)
Motor Mount clamp

Total - only about $30 in parts... Everything else SEEMS to be ok, but I guess I won't know for sure until I fix the existing parts and get the buggy up to speed again - there may be things I won't notice until then but I'm hoping there's nothing else.

So although my bashing day was cut short, I'm pretty impressed that such a severe crash (i'm talking HEAD ON into the curb) only resulted in $30 of broken pieces... I wonder how much would have broken if I was running the graphite + version, instead of the original xxx4 plastic model that I have. I bet it would have snapped the chassis for sure.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:22 AM
kostaktinos_mt

Default RE: 30mph SMASH into 1 foot concrete cUrb

yep. a good model [regardless of price] with good durability rating and cheap parts is the best option for a basher. and losi`s plastic is top-notch in my list.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:09 AM
raz54

I think you added wrong, the battery alone must have cost more than $30.00
Old 02-16-2006, 11:24 AM
crUshed420

Well, it destroyed the pack, not the cells. It was just a stick pack and the post ripped it pretty much right in half. I'm gonna just take it apart and turn it into a SxS pack like I did with my pirahna packs, so that's why I didn't add it to the cost of the crash.

If you wanna get real picky, I guess add in another $3 for battery bars and solder
Old 02-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Well, gives you something to do at least! Winter project! I make it a point not to drive around on streets or parking lots anymore. My trucks have accumulated more damage and repair costs on the street then they ever have in the dirt. Course, beggars can't be choosers, and I don't blame ya- when you get a little break you have to take advantage no matter where you run.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:30 PM
crUshed420

yah, living in a city of almost 5 million makes it hard to find dirt to play in

We don't have a single off-road track, and the city even chases us off bmx tracks (mostly thanks to noisy nitro's spoiling our fun)

The park is my "safest" place to bash short of driving an hour to escape the city, but even our parks have paved bike tracks everywhere, and yes, even 1 foot curbs for my buggies to find
Old 02-16-2006, 12:38 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Sorry to hear about your crash, I just got through reparing my NTC3 after pretty much the same thing.

I was driving it in a parking lot and clipped a curb at somewhere around 40mph. It totally destroyed the chassis, bent it (bad) in two places AND ripped out two of the engine mounting holes, also bent the driveshaft really bad and tore up the body (broke a body mounting post too but I already had spares).
Old 02-16-2006, 03:59 PM
kings-r-us

DAAAAAAAAANG[sm=eek.gif]