Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Spur wont fit??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 02:34 PM
duggyb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spur wont fit??

well i bought a genuine TAE spur for my Electric TC3 today......but ran into some problems....it is 81T and 48P but when i install it it grinds just ever so slightly on the chassis underneath....why is this? i thought i could run 48P?....the spur i had in before was a 100T 64P and it ran fine...but it was also about 4mm smaller than this spur....so did i do something wrong? why cant i run this spur?

THNX
Duggy
Old 02-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Speedmunkey
Banned

Default RE: Spur wont fit??

If you re-read your question, you'll find your answer.. Here's a hint..... "it was also about 4mm smaller than this spur"
Old 02-16-2006, 03:16 PM
duggyb

no i understand that........but i thought the ETC3 could run 48P spurs? is it only up to a certain tooth amount or what? if so what number?....i mean it should be able to run it right?....would it hurt if i used a dremel and took off a little so it would fit?

THNX
Duggy
Old 02-16-2006, 03:23 PM
discgolfer72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it depends what du u want to remove from, the spur or the car its a bad idea to remove frm the spur. and yu might weaken the car if u remove from there
post a pic
Old 02-16-2006, 03:51 PM
duggyb

no i wont remove from the spur.....i dont even know who that would work.........as for the car i know it wouldnt weaken it....id post a pic but i lent my camera to a friend and wont get it back till tuesday.......only thing i am worried about it if that spur doesnt fit then maybe it wasnt meant to be run??....like will it stress my diffs?engine? etc?

THNX
Duggy
Old 02-16-2006, 03:52 PM
Flyojumper

Let's see...
48p means 48 tooth on a 1" diameter
100t 64p means 1.56"
81t 48p means 1.68"
In order to use a 48p spur of the same size than your original spur you'd need to get a... 75 teeth or smaller. If you go any higher you may have a problem fitting it.
Problem solved!
Old 02-16-2006, 03:56 PM
duggyb

wow....thanks Flyojumper.....thats the number i was looking for.......so last question is...if i did dremel it....would it hurt anything else by running that spur?

THNX
Duggy
Old 02-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Flyojumper

No problem!
The dremeling part: if you plan to dremel the spur that'd be a big nono for me. You don't want to have smaller teeth and risk ruining the mesh.
Personally I'd go the safe route and get a fitting spur.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:49 PM
duggyb

ok...ill say this again I AM NOT GOING TO DREMEL THE SPUR!:P....i guess i didnt get that across.....but i was thinking about dremeling the chassis....so any opinions on that?

THNX
Duggy
Old 02-16-2006, 05:04 PM
Flyojumper

Blargh, can't believe I missed that...
Well if you are sure that dremeling the chassis won't weaken it, then I guess you could do it safely without any adverse effect.
Usually the biggest spur you can fit is the best for the car as it spreads the load over more teeth (less of course rotating mass but I think it's not very substantial if you get a good light spur to begin with).
Personally I'd still stick to not dremeling and using a right sized spur though, maybe the hole thorugh the chassis could introduce dust, etc or something else could come up later on.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:52 PM
duggyb

yeah well i will purchase the right size...i just mainly for interest wanted to know if running an oversized spur on the car would have any effects on anything else....

as for dirt and stuff coming in.....this wouldnt change that....there is already a hole there anyways....i would just widen it by about 3mm..

THNX
Duggy