Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya TLT-1 Rockbuster..

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tamiya TLT-1 Rockbuster..

Thinking about getting a TLT-1 Rockbuster (not the Max Climber).. The Rockbuster can be had for like $60 cheaper than the Max Climber.. so... the only difference I read is that it can not use the regular stick battery..

What kind of mod do I need to run regular stick battery in the Rockbuster?? Anyone done that?

Any other reason to pony up the extra $60 for the Max Climber??
Old 03-13-2006, 07:53 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tamiya TLT-1 Rockbuster..

I don't really think it would matter which one you get because most people only use the axles anyway. There's alot of TLT crawlers on here with aftermarket chassis's, stampede tranny, and TLT axles.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:54 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I have the rockbuster, as far as I can tell you can't just mod it to accept a stick pack, it would requiring buying different parts.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Lunchboxer

I don't really think it would matter which one you get because most people only use the axles anyway. There's alot of TLT crawlers on here with aftermarket chassis's, stampede tranny, and TLT axles.
Yeah, but I probably won't go to that kind of extend.. just want something interesting to mess around with.. basic mod.. instead of making it into a full crawler.. !
Old 03-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Lunchboxer

I have the rockbuster, as far as I can tell you can't just mod it to accept a stick pack, it would requiring buying different parts.
Really?! Argh.. I'd hate to get dedicated battery just for it..
Old 03-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Lunchboxer

Anyone else?!

I guess I will take my chance then.. (I mean, how hard can it be to put the battery in that thing! :P) I saw the picture of the Max Climber and it looks like the battery just sits on top of the chassis with a holder. In the worst case, I can just fab one up using carbon fiber palte, I guess...
Old 03-14-2006, 02:17 PM
skooder

You can mod the Rockbuster to take a stick pack no problem, like you said the battery just sits on the top of the frame. I did this for a short time by flipping the stock battery tray so it sat higher and then velcro strapping the battery to it. It became obvious real quick how top heavy the battery location makes the TLT, so I got a smaller pack and hung it from the bottom of the battery tray to lower the center of gravity. This worked out alot better for me.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Lunchboxer

Thanks for the info! Yeah, the Max Climber has the battery all the way up there, so in the worst case, if I do the same, my TLT-1 will just handle similar to the Max Climber..

Will order the kit next week or so.. Should be fun!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:30 AM
cheeseclip

you could assemble your own packs and just make them the shape of the special pack
Old 03-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Lunchboxer

you could assemble your own packs and just make them the shape of the special pack
Yeah, but then that pack will be for TLT-1 only.. I guess I am trying to make all my batteries interchangeable between all my cars.. ha ha! (Just lazy, I guess!)

Looks like I will order the TLT-1 next week.. I will probably just fabricate something to hold the stick battery... we will see!