Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Dark Impact Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 01:43 PM
jammystar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Dark Impact Thread

Got the slipper today, fitted it straight away with the supplied 82 spur.

Just wondering what would be the best gear combo with the ezrun 4300kv. Ive got the 2 spur's supplied with the original kit and the 82 spur with the slipper clutch. I was only supplied with a 25, 22 & 21 pinion with the DI kit and not the 26 pinion as everyone state's.

Whats the best combo with what i have?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:11 PM
jammystar

ORIGINAL: jammystar

Got the slipper today, fitted it straight away with the supplied 82 spur.

Just wondering what would be the best gear combo with the ezrun 4300kv. Ive got the 2 spur's supplied with the original kit and the 82 spur with the slipper clutch. I was only supplied with a 25, 22 & 21 pinion with the DI kit and not the 26 pinion as everyone state's.

Whats the best combo with what i have?

Thanks in advance guys.

Any help guys?? Please
Old 07-07-2009, 07:00 AM
ArildS

I have the MM5700 and I use the 83T Spur and a legacy 19T pinion (found it on Ebay I think. Or etamiya.com. Don't remember).
Heat wise I could probably go 22-23T pinion, but it is fast enough for my taste. A 3S lipo will make it lightning fast.

For a 4300kv motor I guess you should be pretty save with 23T / 82T. Maybe even a smaller spur.
Motor/ESC temp should be your guide. Below 200F is usually safe.

Check out Lunchboxers DI thread for more discussions about BL in the DI and gearing.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:41 PM
jammystar

Thanks Arilds, Ive been reading that thread since you pointed it out. Some great info in there.

Have had a really crappy week when it come's to rc car's. First My tb02 snaps a diff bolt, then my lunchbox spur gets chewed up by a brushless motor and now my DI has melted the diff![&o]

I did rebuild the rear diff and think i must of done it up too tight. Got new rear diff on order so looking forward to getting it.

Here's a pic of the mashed diff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12568.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1232033  
Old 07-09-2009, 02:01 PM
jammystar

Just noticed my rear diff housing plates are chewed too so the plastic part was making contact with the diff spur. Just ordered the metal rear diff joints as they have metal hosing's rather than plastic parts on them.

put in a new diff spur today and it just seems as if its slipping. Will just have to wait for the all metal/housing joints. Ive made sure the diff screw wasn't loose but it isn't, its gota be the rear diff housing plates???

Old 08-03-2009, 08:24 PM
intimidator_md

I searched the forum and this thread and yet to find what I am looking for. Anyone have a site where they can get replacement bodies for the Dark Impact? I like the style and want to make a new custom look for mine. Otherwise anyone have any other bodies that they run on theirs? I can't find any anywhere.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:29 PM
ritualstate

which is better the db01 or the dark impact i am having trouble on picking between them. they dont tell much of the motor and specs can anyone help me out.thanks
Old 08-04-2009, 06:59 PM
stealth assassin

ORIGINAL: intimidator_md

I searched the forum and this thread and yet to find what I am looking for. Anyone have a site where they can get replacement bodies for the Dark Impact? I like the style and want to make a new custom look for mine. Otherwise anyone have any other bodies that they run on theirs? I can't find any anywhere.

I have been looking for the same thing.......
Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 AM
dave05

quote:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-df0...8-p-22851.html
Old 08-05-2009, 05:44 PM
intimidator_md

Thanks Dave
Old 08-19-2009, 05:25 PM
gman1

I have a wide variety of hop up option parts for the DF03 buggy if anyone is interested. All of the parts that I'm selling are in tip top condition and could pass as being new. If you're interested or know someone who is please feel free to shoot me a message. Don't let this deal pass you up as my prices can't be beat and should be selling quickly. Thanks. AL.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:04 PM
intimidator_md

ORIGINAL: stealth assassin

I ordered an Aurora XXX Losi body and it fits quite well. Actually fits better than the stock body. At least as in there is more room for the body and electronics as the XXX body is wider and a tad longer. So if ya need a replacement body for Dark Impact look no further than the XXX body The only issue I had was the servo arm hit the body so I had to cut a hole in the right rear under the window so the arm could move freely and have the body sit correctly. Also had to use micro pins in the front to support the body, regular pins were too long.

Name:	Om32131.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1259435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81465.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1259436  
Old 08-21-2009, 12:42 AM
col carpenter

[

[/quote]
I ordered an Aurora XXX Losi body and it fits quite well. Actually fits better than the stock body. At least as in there is more room for the body and electronics as the XXX body is wider and a tad longer. So if ya need a replacement body for Dark Impact look no further than the XXX body The only issue I had was the servo arm hit the body so I had to cut a hole in the right rear under the window so the arm could move freely and have the body sit correctly. Also had to use micro pins in the front to support the body, regular pins were too long.
[/quote

Looks better that the oringinal body, cant wait to see it painted
Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 PM
intimidator_md

Got it all painted recently. Went with a simple scheme. Started with Outlaw Black, then did Tamiya Translucent Silver for the Lightning shadow and backed that with Tamiya Gold, then did the main bolts in Fluorescent orange backed with Competition Orange. I used Parma Lightning masks for the design. Turned out great.

Name:	Ge95391.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1260488   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12001.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1260489   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87674.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1260490  
Old 10-01-2009, 03:47 AM
Biko

Back around 1983 I got a Tamiya Holiday Buggy from Santa and loved it.
Now two decades later with my own funding I just realized that I NEED a Dark Impact, what a beauty.

So, i'm still new to many terms used etc, but trying to pickup :-)
Anyways, i'd like some advice and would value some input before ordering my Dark Impact.

As a background:
I don't have any ambitions to race in competitions with it, but I'm gonna use it on a 1/10 track, with others.

When I order the car I'd like to add:
1. A better motor, Any ideas for a good upgrade? Brushless the only way to go? Tamiya's own stuff or other brands.
2. I think I will want to go with 2.4GHz Radio Control Unit, any suggestions here?
3. What is a good ESC to go with it?
4. Anythiong else I "should" get to enjoy my Dark Impact more?

Any input appreciated.
Regards
Biko

Old 10-01-2009, 04:20 AM
dave05

well i have a 13t brushless motor i find the hobbywing are great budget setup could use the 35amp esc however if you go for the 60 amp version for the little extra also you would NEED the slipper clutch im not sure if he still would have the hop up parts but gman1 had one at a fair price if you upgrade the stock motor you need the slipper clutch or you will strip gears and the other thing is batteries LIPO are a good option longer run times will need a charger for that as well i use the futaba 3PM radio gear but the Spektrum radios are fine as well
that should get you started Biko
Old 10-01-2009, 06:03 AM
Biko

dave05 (or anyone else for that matter)

Would these do the job?
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-motor-combo-hobbywing-ezrun60aslh-yeah-racing-sensorless-brushless-p-28133.html

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-df03-tamiya-slipper-clutch-53925-p-19794.html
/Biko

Old 10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
dave05

yes they will do fine i have 2 buggies one has 35A hobbywing esc with a 13t motor and the other has a 60A esc with a 9T motor and yes the tamiya slipper clutch is a must have
also i found this thread as well on another forum but is well worth a read

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...f-03-type.html

Old 12-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Hayabusa1

All-

Anyone have a suggestion for how to strengthen or support the A1 part that the rear shock and wing mounts to?? I bought a used DI, and a friend of mine cart wheeled it during the second test drive. Snapped the back of the A part so the car is on the shelf awaiting the replacement parts.
    I actually searched for a while on this thread, but 67 pages is a bit much to try and filter (LOL). I posted a general question on the 1/10 forum and of course the first response someone bothered to write was "Why not just post this in the DI thread?".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am just now returning to the hobby and I just joined the forum. I was a bit discouraged when the kit broke so quickly, I started with Tamiya in the 80's then progressed to Associate, etc. but most of the Tamiya cars I have had were pretty bullet proof. Seems like this one is a pretty slick set up, just a victim of a minor weakness in design.

Thanks everyone-

Busa
Old 12-18-2009, 04:16 PM
dave05

have a look at these bumpers they will add alot of strength

http://www.t-bone-racing.com/catalog/c268_p1.html

Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Hayabusa1

All-

First off Dave thanks for the response. I might try the bumpers, though they do not strengthen that particular A part. It looks like I'll have to manufacture something!

I do have a question.....Does anyone know if the HPI 2100 MT SS wheels will bolt straight on to the DI? I saw a bunch of posts early on suggesting conversions to truggy, but the links have all expired to the wheels that they use. I know that SS MT wheels were suggested, but not sure if the 2100 (fronts) mount differently that the 2180 (rears).

I don't really care about the width, just trying to get a different wheel that I can mount a little larger tire on for some ground clearance. My DI will be a basher and I need it to move through grass well.

Thanks everyone-

Busa
Old 12-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi again Hayabusa. I was the guy who suggested you post in this thread. Sorry it was such a disappointment. While I have no personal experience with the Dark Impact, Keen Hawk, or Avante Mk. II (which are all the same car) I thought the folks here would be able to help you out.

Also, whenever I've bought a car and there was already a huge thread here, I read through that thread little by little and almost always found a lot of useful information. This thread is 67 pages, but a lot of posts are not relevant to your situation and can be skimmed pretty quickly. There's also a feature at the top of the screen to 'Search this thread.'

Another thing I can suggest is to sign up for an account over at UK-based Tamiyaclub.com. Those guys live & breathe Tamiya. They've been helpful to me. (I have a Lunch Box and Grasshopper, and had a Brat)
Old 12-20-2009, 11:44 AM
derek2005

Hayabusa1,

I have the Lazer zx-5 wheels on mine. The are not larger, but anything that fits the lazer zx-5 would fit. Look into getting a taller 2.2 buggy tire or maybe even a truck tire. I don't remember off the top of my head what size the hex is on the wheels, but any tire with that size hex and a proper offset will work. I think proline badlands tires would look killer and offer good grass/mixed terrain performance. I don't know if they make a 1/10 buggy version though. Good luck. Any leads on bulking up the A1 part yet? Such a shame that one part was not engineered well.

Derek
Old 12-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Hayabusa1

Thanks Jeremy and Derek!

I am still looking for a solution to the A1 part. I have a lot of tools and "toys" with which to manufacture something, I just thought maybe someone had over come this obstacle!

Thank you for the wheel suggestions, I think the SS wheels will fit, as long as the frt and rear version of that particular vehicle are the same. I know that one or two of the guys that posted here years ago ran the HPI wheel, but I wasn't sure front or rear.

As always...I appreciate any input. I love the RC hobby. I ended up with no vehicle a few years ago after I traded off my RC18T for another compound bow. The DI was a good price and a good opportunity to rejoin the hobby. I wanted specifically a 1/10 4wd electric. My experience with Nitro was fun, but I didn't feel comfortable letting the kids run the OFNA wide open!

Thanks again guys-

Busa
Old 12-20-2009, 07:39 PM
derek2005

Busa,

One way to eliminate some breakage on that part is to allow for some rear chassis slap. Let that take the abuse instead. I also ended up purchasing the front aluminum bulkhead after breaking that racing a very tough track. Our current track is much more flowing so I am bring the DI out of retirement until I can get a D4 or Schumacher Cat. Have fun, it is a good car within its limits.

BTW: I did change to AE spur gears so I can use more common 48p pinions. It just takes a couple of turns on each side of the hole with a body reamer. The Tamiya spur is .5 module and very difficult to find appropriate pinions if you want to go mod.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.