Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Official Dark Impact Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:07 AM
THE HP FREAK
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Dark Impact Thread

HI!... Get yourself a HOBBYWING ESC like I did. No issues at all and easy to calibrate. I've run like 40 lipo's through it and have had no issues. I learned a long time ago to never buy a ESC with out a fan on it. I burned up plenty of TEKIN ESC's.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:26 AM
positron

ORIGINAL: THE HP FREAK

HI!... Get yourself a HOBBYWING ESC like I did. No issues at all and easy to calibrate. I've run like 40 lipo's through it and have had no issues. I leaned a long time ado to never buy a ESC with out a fan on it. I burned up plenty of TEKIN ESC's.
I have ordered a hobbywing for mine, my brother got his the other day a 60 amp one, it's very nice. I would say it's better than my sidewinder except for the lack of throttle/brake curves.

I got my first lot of parts today. Will get in these installed before brushless arrives.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:09 AM
860Crawler

I do have a fan, in fact the fan was on it. The ESC didn't overheat, it was well within the thermal cutoff. It only was just turned on for about maybe 10-15 seconds when it happened. It just had some kind of other issue I guess. Its under 120 day warranty so it should be fixed or repaired. The only issue I have with Hobbywing is if something goes wrong with that I could be down for a long time since it has to go back to HK. I had my charger's power supply die on me and had to send it back to HK and it took a good month. I had to buy another one just so I could keep using the charger. With Novak its right in Cali so turn around should be a week and a half to 2 weeks max.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:29 AM
positron

That would be nice, got to send everything overseas in australia, and hong kong is a lot closer. Though i'd probably just buy another one.

I didnt buy the graphite towers as they tend to break the gearbox housings, though I respect my rc's (except my slash) so they'd probably be ok, we will see.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:58 AM
860Crawler

That looks good!

Yeah I've only rolled my DF-03 a few times by accident and I cringed when it happened, luckily nothing broke. A few times it rolled as it was coming to a stop and it was skidding sideways and hit the edge of the grass and flipped it. Soft landing! The harder one is when I first used the Lipo and it was so freakin fast that it hit a small rock which sent it cartwheeling.[&:]
Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ha! I've had that happen to my touring cars, the parking lots around here are all crumbling so the car will be flying and it will suddenly just flip and slide on its lid for 20 feet. DI takes it a lot better, but I'm still brushed and NiMH at this point.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 PM
860Crawler

The Novak warranty is in motion. Their tech dept already wrote me back with a possible cause (MOSFET failure leading to a short circuit) and told me to pack it up with a copy of the receipt and send it in. So my ESC & motor will be off on its whirlwind tour of Cali tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:52 PM
positron

ORIGINAL: 860Crawler

The Novak warranty is in motion. Their tech dept already wrote me back with a possible cause (MOSFET failure leading to a short circuit) and told me to pack it up with a copy of the receipt and send it in. So my ESC & motor will be off on its whirlwind tour of Cali tomorrow.
thats good news, I just took mine for a drive and after about ten minutes just while I backed off the throttle around a corner it binded up again. Throttle just made the car stress and the esc hold its beep.
I picked it up and rotated the rear wheel, fine.. the opposite wheels smoothly rotated the other way, same with the front, meaning the dog bones and diff's were fine. It was jammed so hard if held both wheels and forced them to rotate the ball diff would slip. Anyway I dropped it a few times it became unjammed and then it was as smooth as the day I built it.

I'm really curious to what it is. it's either the motor jamming or something in front or rear gearbox. On a more positive note the shocks work great! it is so planted on rough surface, might need some thicker oil in the rear for the jumps, but yeah so much better than the plastic ones.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 PM
860Crawler

Thats a strange way to get jammed up. Have you disconnected the motor from the drivetrain and spun the drivetrain to check for binding? Maybe some gear in the gear case is out of alignment or missing teeth?

I agree, you can fly over the rough stuff with those shocks they just soak it all up.

When I took my ESC out of the chassis there was a burn mark on the chassis where the flames forced their way out of the ESC between the heatsink and the case. [&:][:@] Good thing I was right there when this happened. If I was far away such as the driving the car and I had to run over to unplug the battery the whole car could have burned down [:@]
Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 PM
positron

I will do some more investigating if it happens again, I'm used to having monster torque in the crawlers, if something jams the offending part breaks

Old 05-12-2010, 03:50 AM
positron

Got my 9T ezrun combo today, all very nice and the car flies now

Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 AM
860Crawler

Nice!
Old 05-14-2010, 01:19 AM
positron

Loving the brushless, I still havnt broke anything, even though you have more spectacular crashes on brushless. I tracked down an A parts tree to keep as a spare incase I do break those, everyone else can be replaced with aftermarket products.

It's winter here, the tracks a bit sticky with mud

Old 05-14-2010, 03:31 AM
THE HP FREAK

HI!... Well I took my DI out for some bashing with some other buddies tonight. The little bugger is really fast with the 6000KV BL in it. A little too fast. Couldn't stop fast enough and just clipped a curb and broke the rear axle hub. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:02 PM
860Crawler

OUCH!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:39 PM
860Crawler

Some more parts came in the mail today.

Tamiya 49434 DF-03 Gear cover (smoke) which turned out to be a whole parts tree of clear smoked items like you said. Its funny that the package said "Limited Edition Items Tamiya Premium Bonus Goods." I was thinking, maybe I should not open this and get like $50 for it in 5-10 years LOL! It also said Tamiya Europe GMBH instead of Tamiya Japan, cool.

no pinion in there since my ESC/motor is still away at Novak

smoked front and rear bumpers are also on the tree. Can't use the rear though since that 3Racing brace is there.

smoked wing mounts

and smoked body mounts

Also there was a smoked servo mount which I didnt take a pic of and some random clear spacers.

The other items that came in was the 3Racing rear gear box brace. The spacer like a hair away from the propeller shaft.

3Racing steering knuckles so i don't lose a kingpin again. Now its threadlocked in

Old 05-15-2010, 01:43 PM
THE HP FREAK

HI!... Looks good. I just ordered the 3 racing aluminum front/rear hubs, knuckles and front/rear lower "A" arms. Hopefully they will be stronger than the plastic parts that break on impact.... lol!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:05 PM
THE HP FREAK

HI!... Here's my carnage from the other night :

Old 05-15-2010, 09:40 PM
positron

Looks awesome 860, I used all the extra clear bit's too I like them. There's a limited edition blue set aswel, think it also has clear blue body posts.

Ouch HP FREAK, thats a nasty break.

I still have not broke anything though I just drive it on the dirt.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:07 AM
860Crawler

That is a nasty break! Looks like a dog chewed it!

Yes I have been trying to stay out in open dirt and off of the tarmac as well. Since the first time I used it I tapped a curb and popped the shock off the ball. Thank goodness thats all it was.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:09 AM
860Crawler

ORIGINAL: positron

Looks awesome 860, I used all the extra clear bit's too I like them. There's a limited edition blue set aswel, think it also has clear blue body posts.

Ouch HP FREAK, thats a nasty break.

I still have not broke anything though I just drive it on the dirt.

That thing can throw up some dirt!

Its amazingly green for being winter time there. Winter here is just brown and gray and depressing
Old 05-16-2010, 08:44 AM
positron

its not so green in summer

you must have almost reached saturation point with all your hop ups
Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 AM
860Crawler

Yes, this is probably it, unless something arises and I need to upgrade a part. I don't think I'll need the axle C unless it breaks like HP FREAK's did.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:20 PM
860Crawler

I installed my TEU-101BK and silvercan from the Grasshopper for ****s and giggles. Well, there wasn't much of either. It was so slow after having used the Ballistic that I felt like I was driving a Nikko from 1989. It barely caught air on any bump and there wasn't much braking to speak of. I wonder if I just have a tired silvercan because there's no way this could be the stock set up for a DI, KH or Avante. Also it went like a bat out of hell in the Grasshopper. I'm pretty sure the battery was well charged. It only lasted about 5-6 minutes before the pinion came loose. The motor doesn't have quite enough shaft to fully grab the grub screw so I knew it would happen eventually I guess I could have flipped the pinion but it looked like would have sat halfway on the spur gear.

Back in the Grasshopper it goes. That experiment is over.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:27 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 860Crawler

I installed my TEU-101BK and silvercan from the Grasshopper for ****s and giggles. Well, there wasn't much of either. It was so slow after having used the Ballistic that I felt like I was driving a Nikko from 1989. It barely caught air on any bump and there wasn't much braking to speak of. I wonder if I just have a tired silvercan because there's no way this could be the stock set up for a DI, KH or Avante. Also it went like a bat out of hell in the Grasshopper. I'm pretty sure the battery was well charged. It only lasted about 5-6 minutes before the pinion came loose. The motor doesn't have quite enough shaft to fully grab the grub screw so I knew it would happen eventually I guess I could have flipped the pinion but it looked like would have sat halfway on the spur gear.

Back in the Grasshopper it goes. That experiment is over.
haha... Something must be up, because that's exactly the source of the motor and ESC that used to be in my Dark Impact. I do know that not all silvercans are created equal, they vary from motor to motor and there are some versions that are (supposedly) more powerful. I don't remember the specifics but a Tamiya old timer explained to to me a while back. Of course the Grasshopper ships with a 380 but wherever I grabbed that 540 silvercan from it had some power. In the Grasshopper it would do backflips. The silvercan that came with my DI was lame by comparison, hence the swap.

I've also spun my pinion off several times. I now use threadlocker on the grub screw AND the motor shaft. Makes removal a pain, but since I started doing that I haven't lost it yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.