Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

tamiya hummer

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 06:47 PM
dabait

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tamiya hummer

I just swapped the diffs and locked the rear (formerly front)... this only took a few minutes since the gearbox covers come off with only very minor disassembly. Still, DO this while you build the truck! I used the highly-advanced (HA!) hot-glue method... the diff had been greased, so I should be able to undo this if I ever decide to.

This made a huge difference in what it can do! On soft surfaces, the only time it will get stuck is if both back wheels can't gain traction. I was just driving around my yard and I've got some nice hills with some exposed dirt, some old cedar mulch and some leaves/pine needles.

Before the diff-swap, the only way I could climb a hill was to get a good running start. Now, I can drive right up to them at a leisurely pace and then just crawl up. Even if I stop, I can almost always get it going up again. I only managed to get stuck once, and that was on a particularly steep area, and both rear tires were in the mulch... but I just backed it down slightly and gave it another go.

On high-traction surfaces like concrete, you can hear the motor load up a little bit when turning (due to the rear diff being locked), but it doesn't exhibit any hop or obvious binding.

If you haven't done this... do it now!
Old 06-01-2003, 10:30 PM
dabait

Default tamiya hummer

BREAKING NEWS:

The hot-glue diff-lock didn't last long... just about as long as a 3000 mah pack lasts Oh well, I'll try JB-Weld now... I would've used it in the first place but I didn't feel like waiting overnight for it to cure.

Here's a pic of my Hummer making it's way through some agapanthus... appears to be the giganticus agapanthus dwarfus Hummerus variety... odd, because my landscape told me they were the dwarf variety

Sorry, not an action-shot... I have a hard time handling both the camera and the controller at the same time.
Old 06-02-2003, 01:35 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

Default tamiya hummer

if that truck is 540 powered you could have some BIG power with the right motor and batteries. If its 380 powered then nm. How big is this truck? i want to get one and make it waterproof and use it in the rain and snow when my monster pirate isnt too great. The other thing, i know one kit has oil filled shocks and the other doesnt, and one has a ball diff and the other doesnt, which one has which feature, or does one have both?
Old 06-02-2003, 03:49 AM
dabait

Default tamiya hummer

It's 540 powered, so there are a lot of motor options

"How big is this truck?"
I'm pretty sure it's 1/12th scale, but it's modeled after a big truck, so it's about the same size as most 1/10th scale cars. It's based on a Tamiya 1/10th scale chassis.

Kit vs non-kit
- kit: ball-diff in back, planetary in front, and oil-filled shocks, body shell is unpainted, dark-green plastic.

- non-kit: both diffs are planetary, not certain about the shocks. The body shell comes pre-painted and looks pretty nice. It also has an inner-chassis cover which would help prevent crud from getting around the electronics... it would help with water resistance, but it wouldn't make it water-proof. Apparently, this part can't be purchased separately.

Some people recommend the kit, other people recommend the built version. I specifically sought out the kit... I like building cars, and some of the kit extras are nice.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:43 PM
3SGTE

Default tamiya hummer

Hi Dabait,

Wow, it's nice to have other desert Hummers out there. I wanted to show mine to others over but apparently, the file is too large. So here's a link to my Tamiya page.. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...id=6834&id=871

3SGTE
Old 06-02-2003, 08:39 PM
dabait

Default tamiya hummer

Hey 3SGTE,

I must have that gun... and the headlights too! Very nice work! Can you give me some details about those? What were your sources? Any plans to light the truck with LEDs or anything?

And the balloon trick too... where'd you find one that would work? I'm guessing it's not one of those skinny ones used to make balloon animals :stupid:

I've done some custom fiberglass layup before and was thinking of making a chassis cover, but it'd probably end up being kind of heavy.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:04 PM
studysession

Default tamiya hummer

The Hummer rocks. I love the detail they put into this thing.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:03 PM
3SGTE

Default tamiya hummer

Hey Dabait,

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, the balloon trick I got a pretty big "round" ballon, about 4 inches in lenght when deflated and then cut the ends to insert the whole chassis. It works kinda good for me, at least. Keeps my electronics almost dust-free and lookin brandnew and protects my chassis from scratches. Your idea of a fiber glass cover is a great concept and I hope you succeed because I will be the first one to order from you . The Gun I got with the truck when I bought it from the person. My Hummer was brandnew in the box. I don't know where he got the Gun from and I can't get a hold of him because he's a U.S. Marine and is in Iraq right now. Damn, I want another one so bad myself .. The headlights are off a "Tamiya Celica Gr.b foglight lenses". They are hella hard to find. I can suggest using pretty thick lexan sheet and shape it round for the headlights or any mini flashlight lenses and use some Krazy glue to secure it. I already have the Tamiya headlight kit that I will be installing soon. I'll update you when I do..

3SGTE
Old 06-02-2003, 10:21 PM
3SGTE

Default tamiya hummer

Hey Dabait,

By the way, I'm kinda debating whether or not using white LED's or purple LED's. The purple is to emulate the black light that the US military uses driving at night in the desert. My brother who is a U.S. Navy SeaBee said that's what their Humvee's have when they do their drills. Only if you have night-vission will you see the light. Oh well, I want to see at night so I guess I'll use the white LED's, haha ..

3SGTE
Old 06-03-2003, 05:22 AM
hsw21

Default tamiya hummer

HI 3SGTE...
This is me again. Yeah I got your cell phone number but had no chance to call you yet (I was opening my email at work, so nothing much I can do, and then when I get off from work, I'm too tired and forgot everything else, maybe sometime soon).
Hey about the gun for the Hummer, I think I got one too when I bought my used Hummer. and yeah it is kind a cool.
Oh one thing...I didn't know that you are also a member of tamiyaclub.com, I'm there too, my name over there is TamiyaRC, check out my collection whenever you have a chance. (It is only my collection that I got here recently in the US, not including my collection in my country which will be here too maybe in the beginning of next year).
I just bought a Dirt Trasher used but in very nice condition from ebay (it is only about 8 months old), car, radio&ESC installed, charger and battery,full bearing, all ready to run for $89. And Im really happy about this car, it is fast, stable and looks so nice. I will try it out soon in the real off road, Im waiting for a new tires now, the tires now on it already worn out completely, so it is only good on road.

hsw21
Old 06-03-2003, 05:39 AM
hsw21

Default tamiya hummer

Guys...
Please let me ask something about the Dirt Trasher, I know this is not the right place, but all I need to know, is what any other tires that can fit to the Dirt Trasher? so I dont have to stuck with the only Dirt Trasher tires.
I ask this question coz I think you guys are some kind of a Tamiya lover with at least several Tamiya cars, so you guys at least know something about this.
Thank you and Im sorry guys.

hsw21
Old 06-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Isphius
My Feedback: (1)

Default tamiya hummer

thanks for the info. I will get the kit one, because i too like putting it together, and this way i can learn how the truck is assembled so i can tell whats wrong with it most of the time. I wana put a 15 turn motor in and maybe an 8.4 volt stick pack, if it will fit.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:08 PM
dado099

Default tamiya hummer

Last results i got from my own tests.

The best result in traction/driving performance for me is :

(ESC used : LRP F1 Reverse)

Front differential : tamiya ball differential
Rear differential : Tamiya bevel gear filled with silicon oil grade 50000

Center differential : none

I also tried the (in)famous tamiya central torque splitter, but for my opinion it's a rip off. It's not a real torque splitter, but only a one way bearing. Using this you get almost no improvement also on flat sourfaces, but you loose the 4wd in reverse and in braking.
I can't make a stright break with it because the brake is applied only to the rear break and so the car tend to slip aside.

Nice to hear your opinions...
Old 06-03-2003, 02:44 PM
3SGTE

Default tamiya hummer

Hi HSW21,

Yeah, it's all good. Just hit me up when you can. I'm just going to be a little busy for the next 3 weeks. Finals this week and my fiance arriving from the east coast next week. I'm also planning on doing some drivetrain mods to the Hummer. I'll be getting a ball-diff or just go low budget and slap on some glue into the planetary gear ..

3SGTE
Old 06-03-2003, 03:27 PM
studysession

Default tamiya hummer

Any of you all do much with brushless motors in these things?
Old 06-03-2003, 08:46 PM
dabait

Default tamiya hummer

I haven't (yet). From what I've read elsewhere, it sounds like the brushless motors generally run at lower RPM's, but generate more power.

Do brushless motors run more efficiently? That is, will you get a longer run-time per charge?

Out-of-the-box, these things seem to have sufficient power and speed... so, I'm not sure I'd upgrade just for additional power/speed. More run-time, perhaps.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:52 PM
studysession

Default tamiya hummer

I am not sure about more runtime. But looking at your alls posts and everything. I now want one. If I did I would probly go brushless.

How long do you get now and what batts are you using?
Old 06-03-2003, 09:22 PM
3SGTE

Default tamiya hummer

I have a Hacker Master Competition Controller paired up with a Lehner Basic 5300 motor. It's a real powerful set-up and the motor is maintainance free. It had no trouble spinning out the super nitro wheels I have on my Tamiya TB Evo II. Amazing torque!!! Run-time is pretty decent. I use 6 assembled 3000mah matched cells. This set-up though is pretty costly though. Brushless systems would be nice on a Hummer if you can afford one. Maybe the Novak SS is a pretty good candidate.

You can check my set-up right here:
http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_m...id=6815&id=871

3SGTE
Old 06-03-2003, 09:57 PM
studysession

Default tamiya hummer

Looking at different reader rides on the tamiya club website. Are the hummers painted on outside? Is this common with Tamiya trucks? I used to have Tamiya Chevy S10 and Toyota prerunner and they were normal lexan painted from inside.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:03 PM
3SGTE

Default tamiya hummer

Yes, Hummer Bodies are made of plastic and not Lexan. I forgot Tamiya's term for that.. Is it "injection molded"? Well, some s**t like that .. LoL

3SGTE
Old 06-03-2003, 10:14 PM
studysession

Default tamiya hummer

Is this the same model that everyone else has?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGA76&P=7

It says 3 speed forward? Does it have a tranny like nitro cars?
Old 06-03-2003, 10:16 PM
dabait

Default tamiya hummer

Injection-molded styrene plastic. It's fairly thick, too, so it should be very durable... other than scraping paint off when you run against rocks and stuff.

The molding detail is about on par with other Tamiya static display models... very nice.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:00 PM
dabait

Default tamiya hummer

Originally posted by studysession
Is this the same model that everyone else has?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGA76&P=7

It says 3 speed forward? Does it have a tranny like nitro cars?
That's the right kit... and 3-speed forward probably refers to the mechanical speed controller it comes with. There is no multi-speed tranny in these cars.

BTW, the body is molded in dark-green plastic... you will probably want to paint it. The good thing is, since these are military vehicles, you can just use a spray-can and get realistic results. A single can of Testors paint (flat tan or green or brown or whatever) is all it takes... or you can do a multi-color camo, but doing a nice job with a spray can will take more effort.

Also: regarding run duration, people are getting 1 - 1 1/2 hours from 3000 mah packs (nimh). This includes a variety of driving from crawling to high-speed. I'm running a cheapo 3000 pack, but I haven't timed a run from fresh-charge to dump... but I know I've run at least 45 minutes on one charge.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:18 PM
studysession

Default tamiya hummer

Abou how fast are they?
Old 06-03-2003, 11:24 PM
dabait

Default tamiya hummer

How fast are they? Not very fast compared to most on-road sedans or off-road buggies... I think I read something like 13mph. I'm pretty sure I could out-run one of these on foot... at least for a short distance

These are fairly heavy, and they don't have a whole lot of suspension travel... I'm not sure "fast" is a good thing. But, you might be able to improve the suspension with better shocks, maybe some more cushy tires... then it would be better suited for speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.