Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Project: Race Rustler

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:51 PM
DMehalko
My Feedback: (42)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Project: Race Rustler

Well after having just about all the r/c products and having had a little of everything, i was still thinking about a next project. I do mostly planes and heli's but want to do something for the local track. I've always been a firm believer in underdog products, knowing it will mostly be me the driver vs. the vehicle, so i decided to try and be competitve with a rustler.

This will be my thread for doing so.

Who else has actually raced their rustler?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:14 PM
f150dan
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Project: Race Rustler

check this out [link=http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/rustler.html]http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/rustler.html[/link]

I always like being the underdog too
Old 05-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Haulin Azz

i just put my 2wd racing pede on ebay for a great price go check it out here is the link, [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6062480657]Racing Pede[/link]
Old 05-30-2006, 09:39 PM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

Honestly man, favoring the underdog is one thing, especially if it's like some of your friends kids or something. But there is no reason to go out and buy a basher truck and try to make a race car out of it.

A buddy of mine put one together for his kid and his kid has a blast with it on the track racing the kiddy electric thing, BUT, it will never measure up against the like of Losi and AE so there is no reason to start like that. If you want to be the underdog, start with an RTR losi or AE truck and go from there.

Just my 02, taking nothing away from the truck but it's like carving a turkey with a butter knife. It's trying to make something do what it was never meant to do. Sure it may be "able" to, but never as good as something that was designed to do that.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:02 PM
kostaktinos_mt

ORIGINAL: slodsm

Honestly man, favoring the underdog is one thing, especially if it's like some of your friends kids or something. But there is no reason to go out and buy a basher truck and try to make a race car out of it.

A buddy of mine put one together for his kid and his kid has a blast with it on the track racing the kiddy electric thing, BUT, it will never measure up against the like of Losi and AE so there is no reason to start like that. If you want to be the underdog, start with an RTR losi or AE truck and go from there.

Just my 02, taking nothing away from the truck but it's like carving a turkey with a butter knife. It's trying to make something do what it was never meant to do. Sure it may be "able" to, but never as good as something that was designed to do that.
second to that. i wouldn`t race a rustler myself, but its true however that making something 'from scratch' [or better re-phrazed: impossible into possible] is a big part of the fun involved in this hobby. what i want to say is that yes, going through such a project is fun, but hey...if it gets race-able, it means that its just not a rustler any more. perhaps tailor-designing a fully customized chassis and suspension parts and then use a nice xxx-t or t4 transmission is indeed an interesting project with lots of work to do and more payback and satisfaction than making a racer out of a rustler. imo as always...
Old 05-30-2006, 11:20 PM
DMehalko

ORIGINAL: slodsm

I am no where near a newbie in this hobby and thats the line i would like to prove some people wrong, we race unlimited 1/10th scale and the rustler it is.

Anyways, here is the $114 special from the hobby shop, nothing exciting, im sure all of you have seen a stock rustler, lol. But will post pics of the progress
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36922.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	469160  
Old 05-30-2006, 11:51 PM
cheeseclip

go 4 it dm im doing the same with my tamiya mad bull
Old 05-31-2006, 12:09 AM
DMehalko

Well first thing is first, i gutted all the stock electronics, and threw a carbon front shock tower and hinge pin brace. Didnt like how flexable the stock tower was. Also put one of the RPM blue gear covers on it.

Name:	Da83558.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	469171  
Old 05-31-2006, 12:44 AM
jdmkyosho
Banned

I would return it or not dump money into it. Its like putting money into a chevy cavalier to compete with Ferraris. To each his own I guess...
Old 05-31-2006, 01:01 AM
DMehalko

ORIGINAL: jdmkyosho

I would return it or not dump money into it. Its like putting money into a Dodge Neon to compete with Ferraris. To each his own I guess...
Yep, so true, and btw i am a fan of the srt-4

Went through the truck and replaced every bushing with a bearing, rpm bearing carriers, and bearings in the bellcrank. Also top plate was hacked a little to accomidate a HS-5925 with a beafy servo saver

Name:	Qo39411.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	469185  
Old 05-31-2006, 01:06 AM
jdmkyosho
Banned

LOL you got me but still SRT-4 FTL. It will still be a Neon at the end of the day. Even so, Im not sure why you wouldnt compare that to a Ferrari.

First post edited [8D]
Old 05-31-2006, 01:28 AM
DMehalko

ORIGINAL: jdmkyosho

LOL you got me but still SRT-4 FTL. It will still be a Neon at the end of the day. Even so, Im not sure why you wouldnt compare that to a Ferrari.

First post edited [8D]
lol, like the edit, but no worries im a euro driver, been buildin up a VW GTi for the last year, going for a 12sec 1/4mile, that ***** gets expensive.

Thats my Red GTI, anyways, cracked open the motor and esc box, gunna start with the 8.5 turn motor with the new GTB esc from Novak

Name:	Wr55588.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	469197  
Old 05-31-2006, 01:31 AM
jdmkyosho
Banned

sickkk, I like it. Tuning euro cars gets expensive, well good luck!
Old 05-31-2006, 01:36 AM
DMehalko

ya, just last month, got all my new fuel delivery equipment and ran me over $1,800

The RC cars are CHEEEEAAAP
Old 05-31-2006, 07:21 AM
Haulin Azz

very nice so far! you will be able to race with the nitro stadium trucks!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:47 PM
DMehalko

Ya that new GTB from novak looks to be a very neat little ESC, runs pretty much anything i can throw at it. Waiting on the RPM esc mount at the moment. Picked up a few batteries today, trying out these new intellitec 4200mah packs

Name:	Ge96776.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	469572  
Old 05-31-2006, 10:07 PM
zackesch

let us know how the ib's compair to gp. i was looking at getting some ib's "my first race pack"
Old 05-31-2006, 11:52 PM
cheeseclip

does the rustler have independant suspension on the rear?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:11 AM
jdmkyosho
Banned

ORIGINAL: cheeseclip

does the rustler have independant suspension on the rear?
yes
Old 06-01-2006, 12:16 AM
cheeseclip

how fast does it go stock?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:31 AM
Rare

my rustler isnt race worthy, but ive got it to hit 35mph...maybe faster. I think making a race worthy rustler is a great idea, just avoid them haters. Cant wait to see the finished product!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:10 AM
DMehalko

ORIGINAL: RŲeBreed

my rustler isnt race worthy, but ive got it to hit 35mph...maybe faster. I think making a race worthy rustler is a great idea, just avoid them haters. Cant wait to see the finished product!
Yes for sure, its a hobby and im doing what i like! I like to have lower end stuff go with the expensive stuff, even tho im pouring lots into it its not always about money.

Anyways the tranny was ripped apart and an aluminum idler gear was installed along with that derlin gear aswell.

MIP CVd's were also added
Old 06-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Rare

The Rustler is under rated, thats why i love mine so much. This hobby is to each his own, ignore peoples words. Words are nothing, action is something else. I say go all out on the race rustler! Id love to show you pics of my rustler, but i cant right now. If you would like to you can search the rustler forums and other rustler threads to see mine. Good Luck!
Old 06-01-2006, 04:22 AM
bIGmiK

I love what your doing, I think it's great and you got a good attitude to do it with

Make sure you get good tires and shocks, as that's what off-road is all about, traction and going over jumps.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Haulin Azz

you can leave the metal top gear in there puttning that plastic one in just moves the weak spot also did you get the ball biff?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.