Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Upgrading Pede...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Pede...

I'm sure this has been asked... I've looked around and found a few things... but not some that answer my questions... but...

what are the best mods/upgrades and things to look for out of the box? tightening things down? straightening things out? problems to be fixed before they become problems? how about a good next engine that will work with this esc? (or is it worth upgrading already?)

I just got this for my fiancee today... and its a great little truck... but the batt seems to be running out quickly. is that normal? I've got a Viper 3300 in it now.

what about a good place to trash this paint scheme and get a good (unpainted) body? something more un-common?
Old 06-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Banned

Default RE: Upgrading Pede...

www.towerhobbies.com for bodies.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:35 AM

alright, the person to really answer that is f150dan but I have a good idea, as I have a pede that I have moded!

you will need:

Aluminum Idler Gear (30t from traxxas)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJJ94&P=ML
Wheelie Bar
http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Alloy-Whe...QQcmdZViewItem
You can get a Carbon Fiber Chassis (ebay for it)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

now that we got those out of the way...

youw ill need bearing carriers, they help reduce rolling resistance and give longer run time as well as faster runs!

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNY90&P=ML
these ^^ are for the rear
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNY89&P=ML
these ^^ are for the front

tires, the masher 2000's are GREAT all around tires, traction is the best, as far as I am concerned these are the best tire for the pede
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUM93&P=ML

check out www.vxb.com they have a section
these have metal shields
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Traxxas/MBB5x11
these do not
http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Traxxas/RCB5x11

vxb.com is a good place to buy bearings, they have pretty much any size you will need.

for your first buy I would get

rpm carriers (Front and rear)
aluminum idler gear
bearings from vxb.com
and masher 2000 tires
Old 06-18-2006, 07:41 AM

if the esc you have in it is the stock XL-1, i have not had one that would stay together long enough, they just have really sucked for me!

I would get a duratrax intellispeed 12T, if you are going brushed, if you are going brushless then someone else will have to recommend something....

to start until that esc blows up, you can go as low as 17 turns on a motor with 6 CELLS. This esc will not handle 7 cells and a 17t motor!

so get the intellispeed 12T and I would get a speedgem 15T pro, or you can get a quad mag 19t and keep the stock esc....that 19t quad is a BAD ARSE MOTOR!

you should be getting with a 3300 pack and a stock motor about 9 - 13 minutes at the most! you might see more, if you aren't getting that I would suggest checking into your charger. if its a timed charger you may have to let the batts go through the timer 2 times, but make sure you keep an eye on that battery if you let it charge a second time on that timed charger. the pack should be warm to very warm when its peaked out from a fresh charge. if its COLD or cool, its not peaked all the way out! of course I charge at 4.5 amps so that may have somethign to do with it.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:49 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Whats up guys?

The first upgrades you should do to the stock Stampede would be RPM bearing carriers and 8 5x11 bearings. Then get the RPM wide front bumper. You will eventually need the aluminum idler gear, but not until you get a hotter motor. The stock XL-1 ESC will handle down to a 17 turn motor or 7 cell battery packs, but not both at the same time. A good motor to get for the Stampede is the Reedy 19T Quad mag, but if you want alot more power and constant wheelies check out the Novak SS 5800 brushless kit. Thats what alot of guys on here run in their Pede's.

to look at other mods and hop-ups, check out these links

www.swami-rc.com
www.inadad.com
www.misbehavin-rc.com
Old 06-18-2006, 01:04 PM

always good advise from f150dan.

I would get the bearings from vxb.com and do the carriers first, then I would go ahead and order the aluminum idler gear because when you strip that plastic one, its nice to have the part that you need handy! also you might want some extra stub axles, I have broke 2 of mine in 2 weeks!

if you haven't already seen dan's video's they are REALLY FAST, brushless is very fast
Old 06-18-2006, 02:28 PM

haha thanks man.

Also, a great upgrade for the Stampede is Masher 2000 tires. Then you might want to find a better steering servo like the Hitec 645MG and a stronger servo saver like the Ofna heavy duty saver. You can get them in many different colors. If you want to change the suspension arund some and make it softer or stiffer, Losi ST springs fit perfect. The Losi Red 2.5in springs are a great all around spring for the front. They are a little bit softer then the stock ones.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:34 PM
My Feedback: (2)

this thread is great, just the information i was looking for. Is the stock esc compatible with the Novak SS5800? If not, which one do you recommend?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:53 PM

The Novak SS 5800 is a brushless combo. It comes with its own ESC. But no the stock one is not conpatible.

You can buy the 5800 motor separate, but you would need the GTB, SS, or Sphere ESC to control it. You can buy the whole Novak combo from here [link=http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=NOVR3005/135.0.7565.7521.0.0.0]http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=NOVR3005/135.0.7565.7521.0.0.0[/link] for $160 bucks though. You can't beat that setup in a Pede. Thats a great price too
Old 06-18-2006, 04:40 PM

hey f150dan is that able to be shipped to canada[sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-18-2006, 05:25 PM

Great thread, everyone! I am putting some of this to use with my new purchase!

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2006, 07:49 PM

masher 2000's
reedy quad mag 19T or a speedgem 15T Pro is a good choice for a pede
If you get a mod motor get the aluminum idler
get the RPM bearing carriers (Front/Rear)
Get the 5x11 bearings from www.vxb.com , i used them and they are great and super pricing!
get your self some CA Glue.....

metal gear servo - i still use my stock one, but the metal gear ones offer LOTS more torque than the stock one and really help to turn those tires alot faster!

----

@ Dan - what prevents the 5800 motor from being run on a brushed esc? I looked at the specs and as far a amperage goes My 8T esc should be able to handle it, right?
Old 06-18-2006, 08:09 PM

what prevents the 5800 motor from being run on a brushed esc? I looked at the specs and as far a amperage goes My 8T esc should be able to handle it, right?
It can't be ran on a brushed ESC because it's a brushless motor, the internals are very different, and require a special ESC. It's a sensored motor so it requires the use of a sensored brushless ESC.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:09 PM

Brushless motors have 3 wires and they are run off AC electricity. A normal brushed ESC and motor only have 2 wires and they use DC electricity.