Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Elec vs. Nitro: Will this setup outrun a Nitro RS4 3 18SS?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Elec vs. Nitro: Will this setup outrun a Nitro RS4 3 18SS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:02 AM
signa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elec vs. Nitro: Will this setup outrun a Nitro RS4 3 18SS?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to out accelerate and have a slightly higher top end than stock HPI Nitro RS4 3 18SS.

Here's the plan:

-AE TC4 RTR (will gut and install my stuff)
-26mm HPI Belted Radials
-Novak 6.5 turn brushless system (already own)
-22 tooth pinion (is this even close to what I should run?)
-JR Syth electrics (already own)
-GP 4300mA NiMH batt

Will this setup allow my electric to run close to the nitro? The 18ss is pretty damn fast. To me, it looks way quicker than my old XXX-4 running a Novak ss5800. My 5800 would run with the standard RS4 .15 nitro. The XXX-4 electric would out accelerate the RS4 nitro, but they'd both top out at the same speed (~41mph).

I know the 18SS will do approx. 50mph, so I've got some work cut out for me I'm sure!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:10 AM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Elec vs. Nitro: Will this setup outrun a Nitro RS4 3 18SS?

depends on what batteries you are running. you throw a 2s lipo in there and you shoudl smoke him all day long for sure.
if you could run some foams, that would help you alot too.
this should be a given, but just incase.. you need to be running deans plugs to get the most bang for the buck on power. to help you out a bit more, consider replacing ALL steel with aluminum or titanium.

to answer the main question, i will give you a strong maybe, depending on batteries, then you may have to regear up a bit.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:16 AM
signa

thanks for the quick reply sleepy.

I forgot to mention the batts I'm running:

GP 4300mA NiMH

I have no clue about Lipoly's for cars, only heli's. Could you give me more info? Isn't a 2s only 7.4V? What brands of Lipoly's do you recommend and what's the best place to buy?

Are they durable? I keep hearing about these things catching on fire, etc etc

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:24 AM
mattnin

You would be better off with a lower turned brushless motor, like the 4.5 or the 3.5r. Since you already have the speed control, it would be inexpensive to upgrade to the 3.5r.

Like sleepy said, a 2s lipo would definitely help, and shave off quite a bit of weight which would help acceleration. They are safe batteries too. I run them in my 4WD with no issues so far and it has been a few months already running a lipo pack exclusively.

An optimal setup will help your car with top speed as well. Set up the car so you have minimal tire scrub and excellent handling at top speed. Also, don't forget the importance of aerodynamics. Look into the alfa romeo body to reduce air resistance as it is has a very small frontal area, and cut out your wheel wells very close to the tire to reduce resistance there too.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:43 PM
signa

mattnin,

yes, I've been thinking of the 3.5r...what's the battery life with that bad boy? How much are the 2s packs? The body that comes on the TC4 looks fairly good for aerodynamics, but that's a good point.

I've been going back and forth between nitro and electric, and as cool as nitro is, sometimes all the messing around gets to me. I work long hours, and don't have a lot of time, so there are times when I just wanna run, no tuning, hassle. But people don't seem to take electric seriously for some reason, esp when it comes to heli's. "I know a guy that flys a gas heli!" Yeah yeah, gas is cool, but electrics can perform too, and that's what I want to prove with this car. Show the two guys I run with (NTC3 and 18ss) that I can hand their ass to them, and have no tuning b.s.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Elmo6s
My Feedback: (1)

I disagree with the nitro guys - electric is both faster and easier - both in helis and trucks (my Trex 450XL flies just as well as any gas heli and my E-maxx definately outruns a T-maxx 3.3) Granted they are more expensive, but the fact that I don't have to tune them makes it totally worth it for me.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:12 PM
darthballs

just out of curiousity why wouldn't you just buy a kit if you already have everything else?
Old 08-24-2006, 07:38 PM
signa

that's a good question and I've got a few reasons but I do like the quality of the kit, but here's the thing:

-I'm pretty busy and don't have a lot of time to build
-no wheels or body included, and I hate painting clear bodies
-the RTR is a lot less money, just incase this whole elec thing doesn't do it for me

Man, that factory kit does look nice though doesn't it???

Maybe I do need the strength of the alum/fiber bits though, I'm not sure...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81042.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	512725  
Old 08-24-2006, 07:44 PM
signa

...and I might be able to flog the RTR crap on ebay and offset another $100 or so
Old 08-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Medrivfast

I have the TC-4 with the Novak 6.5R. It's really quick. I'm running a 20 tooth pinion. I have a 6 cell matched 3800 pack. I kinda got used to the speed. So,once the Novak 3.5 comes out than i'll be happy. I've seen the Novak 3.5 run allready in an X-Ray. With stock gearing it ran 77mph.

I'm guessing with my set-up i'm running around 50 mph top speed.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:55 PM
signa

ORIGINAL: Medrivfast

I have the TC-4 with the Novak 6.5R. It's really quick. I'm running a 20 tooth pinion. I have a 6 cell matched 3800 pack. I kinda got used to the speed. So,once the Novak 3.5 comes out than i'll be happy. I've seen the Novak 3.5 run allready in an X-Ray. With stock gearing it ran 77mph.

now those are the kind of numbers I wanted to see, thanks Medrivefast! 50MPH huh, that should do the ticket! How many mins do you get per pack? What will the runtime on the 3.5R be like?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:18 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Have you looked ebay buddy? I bet you could find a used built tc4 FT or team
Old 08-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Medrivfast

I never timed my run time. But i would gues about 10-12 minutes of hard running. Not sure what the 3.5 will be for run time. Also depends on the battery. But you can always buy more and more batteries.
ORIGINAL: signa

now those are the kind of numbers I wanted to see, thanks Medrivefast! 50MPH huh, that should do the ticket! How many mins do you get per pack? What will the runtime on the 3.5R be like?
Old 08-24-2006, 09:59 PM
signa

ORIGINAL: mayhem maniac

Have you looked ebay buddy? I bet you could find a used built tc4 FT or team

It really pays to get some different opinions. It seems I can get a brand new TC4 Factory for C$222 + $30 shipping. Add a body and wheels to it and it's about the same same price as the RTR. That seems like the better way to go for sure. Does the carbon chassis on the FT still hold standard stick packs? I've got 6 new GP 4300's just waiting to be used...

Thanks a lot,

Signa
Old 08-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Igotntc3andrevo

What people don't understand is that it isn't the always the speed or ease to run electric over nitro that makes people love the gas its the wow factor people dont get as excited when they see some one driveing the electric cars over the gas even it it is faster you don't see a miniture remote control car running on a fuel to often plus some of us like the challenge. Me myself like both and recently bought a mini t and plan on making it go very fast but will never stop running nitro
Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 PM
rcxboy

^^ Is off-topic opinionated rubbish. We don't care what you think about why he would rather have a fast electric than a fast nitro. Leave it at that....

I wouldn't bother with a better brushless system for now. Get lipos, you will surely notice the difference.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:00 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

And it's half the price, or so. A charger and battery will cost you as much as the motor itself. And you can get a 6000Mah Lipo for like 50 bux.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:21 AM
dracohowe

too bad i didn't have my rs4 type ss still or we could test your set up. i beat my friends 18ss but he had better acceleration.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Scoob

A lipo will definately give you more power but I don't think the 6.5 will outrun the nitro. You won't be slow in comparison but you really need a 4.5 or 3.5 I'd think. Either of which would make the nitro look silly on acceleration and should have the same top speed.

I ran a 6.5 with lipo in a T4 and got 37 mph on standard gearing and 40.9 mph slightly overgeared. That's a truck though, a tourer would go maybe 5 mph faster. Your looking maybe 45mph tops with the 6.5 and lipo, my best guess. I believe you need a little more power to beat the RS4.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:55 PM
specracer
Banned

lol im running a second faster than the nitro guys with a stock motor on a mid tight track.electrics handel alot better.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:28 AM
signa

ORIGINAL: specracer

lol im running a second faster than the nitro guys with a stock motor on a mid tight track.electrics handel alot better.
Thanks specracer I hope I have the same experience.

Scoob, I meant to reply to you but I'm on my blackberry and only one reply button shows up for the whole thread.

You think the lipos make that much difference? I just bought a 6-pack of gp 4300's!

My buddy's 18ss is crazy fast. You gotta see it accelerate, it's nuts.

I've never run an electric touring car. How much faster will it (tc4/6.5r/gp4300) be than my xxx-4 buggy with ss5800 and a 22 tooth/3700 gp?

Thanks guys, thanks for puttin up wth all these noob questions!

Signa
Old 09-07-2006, 09:35 PM
signa

I just put the 6.5R in my XXX-4 and I can't believe how fast it runs. I haven't dragged an AE but it seems to be faster then a stock NTC3 but not sure how close it is to the 18SS. I ran tonight and the owner of the 18SS saw me run (at work, no fuel etc, electrics rule!) and was speechless.

I'm getting about 10~12 min on the 6.5 with gp 4300. How much will the 3.5R cut my runtime?
Old 09-09-2006, 08:52 AM
hopitque

your e-maxx outruns your nitro truck? cause i'm wondering which one to buy. gas or electric?
Old 09-09-2006, 09:50 AM
zephar123

ORIGINAL: hopitque

your e-maxx outruns your nitro truck? cause i'm wondering which one to buy. gas or electric?
If looking for speed electric as a rule is faster then gas. Heck my brother other day was runninng a 15 turn modified and beat ever gas truck, buggy you name at the track in reno. Keep in mind he did this with an old but good tekin speed control. One of my old half warn out motors I gave him. Oh and he onyl had a 1700 MAH matched battery lol.