Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

4s lipo in a TC3, drive shaft issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 02:33 PM
bengxe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4s lipo in a TC3, drive shaft issues

I just bought a mamba 4600 and a 4s 4000 lipo pack for my TC3. I had an old main driveshaft in it that was slightly bent from a previous accident. The first time I revved the motor (maybe 1/4 throttle), the driveshaft bent further (from being out of balance), and started hitting the chassis. I already had a new one waiting to go in, so I have a brand new shaft in there now, but it still does almost the same thing. Free revving it with the wheels in the air, the main shaft starts to bend and and go out of balance by the time I get to about half throttle. It comes back straight when I let off though. Should I be worried about this when I drive it? It might not be an issue at all, since there would be a load on the shaft with the wheels on the ground, but I dont want it to start bending while Im driving, because it could bend far enough to hit my battery (brand new lipo). Ive searched the internet for upgraded stiffer driveshafts with no luck. Thanks for any help/ ideas.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:39 PM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 4s lipo in a TC3, drive shaft issues

couple of questions:
1. is is the carbon or aluminum one?
2. what would you want as a heavier dutry shaft? (hunt down my custom parts thread)
Old 10-08-2006, 04:00 PM
bengxe

It is aluminum, Ive never heard of a carbon one. If I could find a carbon shaft, that would fix my problem. But it might also create another one if its not strong enough for the torque load.
But I tried driving it with the new shaft, and I found out this^ is just a secondary problem. I completely destroyed my rear diff gears (i.e. teeth missing from diff gear, completely bald pinion) in about 30 seconds of somewhat gentle driving, so I have a lot more research to do.
Thanks for the response though.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:16 AM
Access

Get a large ball bearing and slide it over the driveshaft so the outside of the bearing rests against the body. More than one, perhaps.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:04 PM
bengxe

I thought about doing something like that ( I was going to make a bracket to support the shaft with a bearing in the middle) but the problem is the shaft is one peice from end to end, and the ends are thicker than the shaft itself. I may just make a bracket to limit the movement, not eliminate it.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:15 PM
bengxe

This is a crude drawing of what Im thinking about making. The point would be to get the bracket as close to the driveshaft as possible without touching it (unless it starts to spin out of true). Any opinions would be appreciated.