Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Who doesn't run brushless?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:58 PM
snorfargle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who doesn't run brushless?

So I just picked up a used pede and I love it...but the msc and stinger leave something to be desired. It seems that everyone is running brushless setups, and thats awesome if they want to, but $200+ for a setup is out of the question for me. So, what does everyone who isnt running brushless have for a setup? How do you like it? Why did you choose it over brushless?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:03 PM
mindwreck

Default RE: Who doesn't run brushless?

get rid of the msc and get a esc. those mechanical ones really limit you.

starluck has some setups for under 200. the genesis/8t combo for 140 is a killer deal.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Eman77

I'm running a 19T x 1 Chameleon2 Pro with an old ESC that can only handle down to 15 turns. I had the ESC lying around for years, and just wanted an inexpensive (but good!) motor to bash around with.

But I do plan on getting an brushless setup once I save the $$.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Adamg-RCU

Castle's Mamba Max is like $185 shipped from b-p-p.com.

Note that I don't know anything about the vehicles you are referring to, so it's possible that the Mamba Max won't work in that vehicle.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:06 PM
hunter306

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run both, but for some decent (cheap) brushed motor fun I run:

Novak XRS
15-27t Brushed Motors
Dean's Plugs
And a Decent Battery

This kindof setup is a great bashing setup that doesn't break the bank.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:51 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

If you are looking for a great motor for the pede/rusty then go with the reedy quad mag 19t motor. Everybody who has bought it has loved it. I have never heard anything bad about it. It gives you good torque and good speed, its a great motor. If I didn't have a brushless I would buy one.

Just for the record avoid venom fireball motors, I picked one up for a motor for snow for my rusty and man, its not really worth it. Its about a bit faster than the stinger but then again its a 17t motor and its terribly slow compared to other motors in that class. The can does a good job of keeping the elements out but the lack of power just makes it not worth much. Its only about 15 beans so you shouldnt really expect good performance but it is good for running in the snow dont get me wrong about that it does its niche pretty well. It does provide you with a cheap low maintance motor that is going to keep you out in the backyard instead of staring at your truck inside.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:07 PM
MacDuff
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: capone12

If you are looking for a great motor for the pede/rusty then go with the reedy quad mag 19t motor. Everybody who has bought it has loved it. I have never heard anything bad about it. It gives you good torque and good speed, its a great motor. If I didn't have a brushless I would buy one.
yeah their reliable too, but i just fried my ESC, second fried ESC in 2 months... (first one was a LRP mini ESC) [:@] So instead of just buying a new ESC, I'm giving my motor to my brother and buying a brushless system. You can get the 4300 for under $180 shipped from towerhobbies, but im trying to score a SS5800 on ebay or something.

I'm such an idiot... i thought about going brushless when i was having some problems with my ESC & motor, but i didnt know which one was giving me problems. So I just bought a whole new motor and when I plugged it into my ESC, it still wouldnt work so i took it all to the hobby shop and they said I fried my ESC [:@]. They didnt have any ESCs for a good price instock at the time, so my brother and I had to drive 30 miles to the other hobby shop and buy a XL-1 for $65!!!!! [:@]

So thats $45 for Reedy Quad mag and $65 for an overpriced XL-1, and now 2 months later I fried the XL-1 yesterday and now im fo sho going brushless, when I should of gone $110 ago...[:@][:@][:@][:@]
Old 10-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Adamg-RCU

brushless ftw
Old 10-16-2006, 06:20 PM
Shmoke_fatsk
Banned

If u want to run on a big big big!, Budget!, Get a Duratrax AUto-sport Esc it handels down 2 18t motors its like 49.99 then get a reedy quad mag 19t or checkpoint money 19t, or orion element 19t motor! thats a nice lil set-up and it'll be decently fast!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Almighty ODST

Or you can get a traxxas XL-10 off of tower for 62$, handles down to 10 turn motors, and is great. I have one and it works flawlessly. Then you could get a nice Trinity Tritonite 15t motor or a Team Orion SV2 Pro BB motor 17x2.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:00 PM
jamesdickinson

I spent AU$130 on my buggy to get it running at insane speeds, with enough torque behind it to handle the rough stuff.

I got a No-Limit RCLine ESC for AU$100

then I slapped in a Awesome Engines (aka Model Engines) V8 14T Double Brushed modified motor.

People always overlook the Awesome Engines motors, there cheap, I mean, that motor was au$30 and my electric buggy now has no problems keeping up with my 2 speed Tmax 2.5

now, if I ruin the motor in my Buggy, all I need to spend is au$30 and I have a new motor ready to rock and roll!
Old 10-16-2006, 08:14 PM
thaphillips

Why spend all that money and be a few dollars short of a brushless system? If you are racing and need a 27T stock, 19T, or modified, then I understand. Brushless is the futures, and unless your racing class prohibits brushless you should really consider it.

Don't forget with a brushed system you still need to buy a comm lathe ($75 or so on Ebay). So when you figure in the cost of a comm lathe it's the same price as a brushed system.

Now as far as my racing I race

Stock - 27T Trinity C027 pro stock
19 Spec -19T Team Checkpoint Money
Modified - 14T Reedy Flash Point Quad Mag Double Wind

We have a tight twisty track, no need for anything more than 14T as I can't really hit full speed.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:19 PM
jamesdickinson

i dont need a comm lathe, my LHS will fix up a motor for au$5, but to be honest, I'd rather have a cheap brushed in my truck, that if I bust it, it's only gunna cost me a few bucks to replace, rather than a brushless that costs 2x or more.

but hey, thats me.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:22 PM
thaphillips

Well I haven't really heard of anyone breaking a motor, unless they ran it too hot and fried it. I have seen some stuck brushes.

I like brushed motors for the fact they are fun to race, because you have to keep up with them. It adds more to the mechanical side of things. Plus the variety is fun. It's always cool to see who is running what motor, and then when somebody has a new motor, to see how the do.

To be honest with you I enjoy both. However, if you are bashing I would by all means recommend the brushless over the brushed. If you are replacing an ESC and MOTOR it's really going to be a similar cost either way.

Once they start having a class for me to run brushless in, I will sell ALL my brushed motors, comm lathe, and accessories and never look back. Hell that would give me enough money to buy a second brushless system for my RC10 Gold Pan.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:39 PM
slink1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run Brushed and brushless and like both.

I agree get rid of that msc.You would see an improvement just getting an ESC (unless the stinger is toast) Your giving up too much power as heat with that MSC.Theres a good selection of very affordable ESCs on the market these days for example the dynamite tazer will handle stock to 15T motors and is less than 30 bucks.Even some of the top brands have low priced ESCs in their product lines
Old 10-17-2006, 02:39 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I use a 19 turn 550 motor on 12 volts with lightweight battery and lightweight wheels and tires. [>:]
Old 10-17-2006, 02:52 AM
bIGmiK

1. People with no money.
2. Ignorant old school people.
3. Stupid people.
4. Dumb people.
5. Oh, and people who don't want a fun RC.
6. Maybe people who just like driving slow?
7. Crawlers..
Old 10-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Rare

ORIGINAL: bIGmiK

1. People with no money.
3. Stupid people.
4. Dumb people.
7. Crawlers..
Stupid people? Dumb people? A BL system makes a fun rc? Hmmmm.....I have 3 vehicles with a BL setup and of course they are a blast to drive and crazy fast. But, i have other rc cars that run stock silver cans and mod motors and they are just as fun! You dont need BL to have fun and dont label people as stupid if they dont run BL. Just because you dont run BL...doesnt mean you are slow either. And not every one can afford a BL system.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:41 AM
bIGmiK

Mate I was just having a play... I thought I made some of those points seem so rude and ignorant (from me) that you would tell I was being sarcastic.

Look at my siggy for my truck, pretty good car, and I'm bored of it and getting out the hobby... Brushless aint everything, but it sure is close
Old 10-17-2006, 04:47 AM
Access

Run the stinger with a real ESC and you will see a huge difference. Reedy Quad Mag is one of the best brushed setups, so be sure to get an ESC that can handle it. But if you go that route, be ready to replace brushes every 5-10 runs and eventually you'll need to fix the comm.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:54 AM
kennyc

I am still on brushed... if you are not looking at high speed, brushed can be pretty cheap to run. $40 for ESC and maybe a couple of 10s of dollars for the motor.
if you are going to go really fast, then brushless is the way to go.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Eman77

1. People with no money.
3. Stupid people.
4. Dumb people.
7. Crawlers..
Ah guess there goes mah colledge edumacation down th drain, seeins how im runnin a brshed moter in mah bosscat.

Old 10-17-2006, 12:09 PM
bxpitbull

1. People with no money.
3. Stupid people.
4. Dumb people.
7. Crawlers..
Man, you are going to get flamed for that! But, I have to agree with you. In this day an and age, only people who refuse to change (old people), people who refuse to learn new technology (dumb people), people who cant grasp the concept of pure power and minimal maintennance (stupid people), people that like to go fast for a few minutes at a time (people who like driving slow), pure racers that like racing on tiny tracks and wonder why nitro cats dont give electric their props (people who don't want a fun RC). Crawlers, cant bad mouth them, but when more brushless motors go crawl, then they will be in the crosshairs too. I have to disagree on money, because you have people that spend crazy cash on a Hara ESC and Team Orion and Checkpoint motors, motors that cost about the same as brushless:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKFF3&P=ML

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFSW9&P=0

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXMCY5&P=

not that much difference in price on the motors, so money is a non factor. I think people are just stupid.

http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....oducts_id=6663

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKSW2&P=ML

So, as you can, a quality brushed ESC is MORE expensive than a brushless ESC AND the GTB runs brushed! So, to buy the other makes one DUMB!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Rare

Old 10-17-2006, 12:43 PM
zephar123

always makes me laugh when people state that brushless is expensive as its really the other way aroudn if you add the price of a good ESC + brush motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.