Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

How long till lipos become obsolete?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 02:43 AM
andrew222

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long till lipos become obsolete?

I operate a mamba 7700kv in a ta05. I've been wondering if I should go get lipos and a new charger now or save my $300 and stick with my ib4200s untill the next best thing comes out. Those A123 lipos look promising...5 minute recharge, variable voltage etc. However it doesn't look like its going to be a solid product for rc cars for a while. Wait for one year or take the plunge?
Old 10-30-2006, 07:53 AM
Shmoke_fatsk
Banned

Default RE: How long till lipos become obsolete?

I think lipo's are the best thing commin, cause esc's only run 4-7 cells and some 4-10 (brushed) and then some wild brushless esc's can run way way more!, but what else could they do? how could something get better? they cant increase punch cause they can already drop 100amps (some can) so the punch is there, and the voltage is there!, and its lightweight, A123 with the adjutibule voltage is the only thing that i can see that will be new that most lipo's dont have,

my 2 cents!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:49 AM
-Inverted-

Li-Pos aren't going obsolete anytime soon. They will however start getting more affordable.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:23 PM
andrew222

yea no kidding. Do you think a 2s 8000mah will go under $100 by x-mas?
Old 10-30-2006, 02:25 PM
bxpitbull

Are you Mad?Li-Po's obsolete? They are only improving AND as one individual has already stated, getting what I like to say, inexpensive. The only thing keeping sub-c's afloat are that factory drivers are sponsored by the manufacturers and cars still come slotted for cells. But, that will be changing...trust. The one ace in the hole for sub-c's is that ROAR and all of these other governing bodies are pushing for 4 cell mods, where Li-Po's wont be allowed to complete.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:27 PM
bxpitbull

http://www.maxamps.com/index.html?lmd=39014.919236 spend the extra $20 and quit whining.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:14 PM
83gt

ORIGINAL: bxpitbull

http://www.maxamps.com/index.html?lmd=39014.919236 spend the extra $20 and quit whining.
Although I do agree with the general consensus that LiPo is going nowhere, I have to ask....

Rude much ???

J.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:32 PM
Access

If you need something now, LiPo is the best out there so just get one or two LiPos and be done with it. Sure, in one year something better might come along, but even so your LiPos won't suddenly go bad or stop working just b'cos there's some newer technology out there. Just don't overbuy and you should be fine, LiPos last about 3-4 years and by then there probably will be a new type of LiPo or some other battery altogether that is the current tech.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Elmo6s
My Feedback: (1)

When you guys see what I'm coming out with, you may change your minds about lipos becoming obsolete - Think almost 10,000mah and 30 minutes of charging
Old 10-30-2006, 03:47 PM
zephar123

ORIGINAL: Elmo6s

When you guys see what I'm coming out with, you may change your minds about lipos becoming obsolete - Think almost 10,000mah and 30 minutes of charging
sounds good to me I dont like the instability of lipos. please pm with more on it when you ocme closer or if need help figuring something on it let me know Im good with electronics what I do for a living =).l
Old 10-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Patrick_W

lipos becomeign obsolete? they are whats growing! Way less weight, higher current draw, much higher mah (look at the maxamps 12000 mah..).. and most good chargers will do lipos, if your into electric, 90% says that your charger probobly does lipos. Personally, i cant wait until i get my lipos.. it will un-brickify my airboat, and my xxx-t's side by side gp pack will stop bending like crazy (poor pack job, doenst fit in the battery compartment 100% right.. plus, my shoo goo pack strenghtning job isnt the best..) after a 20' jump with an upside-down landing (Ok, maybe i beat my truck a little...)...(orion and another brand im forgetting have lipos with a hard plastic case around them..) plus, repeated same day charging.. how much better can it get? thats my view on lipos.. whats yours?
Old 10-30-2006, 05:25 PM
bxpitbull

If you are asking if I am rude much of the time, I'd have to say yes. When people ask questions they know the answers to or appear to patronize to get answers to stir controversy, yea, I get a lil indignant.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:28 PM
bxpitbull

ORIGINAL: zephar123

sounds good to me I dont like the instability of lipos. please pm with more on it when you ocme closer or if need help figuring something on it let me know Im good with electronics what I do for a living =).l
Instability? Get a charger that charges Li-Po, adjust your initial settings and monitor the charging sycle. Dont try to peak it like ni-cads or Ni-mh (thats why people blew them up back in the day) and instability becomes an afterthought.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:15 PM
-Inverted-

Elmo,
You are one mad scientist.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:29 PM
duneslider

I see li-ion becoming a lot more popular. It seems a little safer and should become a lot more popular. I don't see lipo going anywhere too soon. I think it will get better and safer, and people will understand them better and respect them more. There is a lot of tech out there and I am sure there will be some cool stuff coming out in the next few years. As other types of electronics continue to need smaller, lighter and more powerful batts the RC industry will be blessed with all kinds of good stuff.

There are still advantages to the regular old sub-c cells, although not as many as a there were.

Duneslider
Old 10-30-2006, 07:45 PM
Elmo6s

That's true! Give me about 1-2 months to get something along those lines out - unfortunately, cool stuff takes time!
Alex
Old 10-30-2006, 07:50 PM
bxpitbull

That's true! Give me about 1-2 months to get something along those lines out - unfortunately, cool stuff takes time!
Alex
I heard your cells are all that. Marshall (American Hobbies) shot you down but let me give your cells a go. My name rings bells with him and if I give something my "seal of approval", he usually jumps on board.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:51 PM
duneslider

I will be waiting! I am thinking I am going to get a new charger in a month or so and am going to get one that charges lipo/li-ion so I can join the high power batt bandwagon. 10000mah would be nice!

Duneslider
Old 10-30-2006, 08:17 PM
wfdfiremedic

IMHO, lipos will change this hobby immensely. In fact, I think they will give nitro a run for their money. The brushless/lipo technology will most definitely put a dent in the nitro world. The only factor I see right now is the expense. However, as more and more companies produce this technology, the price will fall. Take a look at the brushless LST2/lipo conversion. It can most definitely compete with the nitro, if not surpass it. Just imagine when the price for this technology falls!!

-Chris
Old 10-30-2006, 08:33 PM
Elmo6s

Marshal didn't shut me down at all, haven't even asked him about carrying our stuff in fact... I didn't even have the company last time I went in there... I went in probabely 5-10 times, and I just never felt compelled to go down there ever again... Figure it costs me $20 in a cab to get there or at least an hour by bus ($2), and Tower Hobbies and Hobbie Guy just seem like the way to go (Hobbie guy pretty much gets here next day...).
Alex
Old 10-30-2006, 09:10 PM
bxpitbull

Just going by what he said...how "some guy wanted me to carry his batteries" his words. All good. Just let me know when you are going to drop those bomb ass cells.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:22 PM
kennyc

ORIGINAL: bxpitbull

8000MaH?? Damn, My Charger bought 2 years ago can only charge at 5amps max !!! wow lipos has come a long way in the 2 years i got into the RC hobby.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:24 PM
kennyc

sounds amazing!!! when will it be out and hows the pricing like? what about the chargers?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:26 PM
Elmo6s

It's going to be on the pricey side - I can't reveal about the charger quite yet, but it's cheaper than a Duratrax ICE. I'm not sure how I'm going to configure them in a 1/10th scale yet, but on the E-maxx they're going to be out of this world!
Alex
Old 10-30-2006, 09:28 PM
Elmo6s

BXT - I'm sure people offer to sell him batteries all the time - wasn't me though! I don't know if he would be willing to sell my next gen stuff, as it will be pretty cutting edge... I don't know if he would even carry my 4200WCs...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.