Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HBX, Who else owns one??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
bluefisherking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HBX, Who else owns one??

Yes, there is a lot to be said for durability.... I have to say that although I would pick my E-Revo BE as "favourite" (half MT, half racer, all crazy-power... and I have worked on it a LOT) and the brushless MBX5T truggy as "most prized" (Wow factor, beautifully made), in actual fact the truck that gets the most use is my Traxxas Slash - they only take one battery, take a real beating and never break, and so if I have 5 minutes to play I just grab it and gun it! I hope the 4x4 Slash will be as fun/durable...
Old 01-17-2010, 05:22 PM
prontozuk

I would say my axial ARTR crawler.... being able to almost go anywhere is a plus.... then it is a tie for second... E10 drift and Bonzer.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Grundy

Hey all,

I have an HBXStealth X09 and did some research and this forum seems to have the most HBX owners, so I thought i'd say hi!:-)I've only had the car since xmas and i had a bad crash on friday and snapped the front suspension arm - now i have to wait another week to get the replacement part shipped!:-(

I also ordered the steel spur and gear, as a lot of people are saying that the brushless system can rip/tear the plastic stockgear.I have upgraded the battery from a 2000mah nimh to a 3200mah 2s lipo and i can't get over the spped of these things. I'm totally new to rc'ing and i'm blown away by the performace of these little machines!

Anyone have any experience (good/bad) with the HBXSurge X09 or HBXStealth X09? or anyone with any general rc tips for a beginner?!

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:24 PM
magnat

Unlike the Bonzer and the Other older HBX's the new ones are not cloned from anything I can recognise..
So I am unable to offer any assistance with them..
Old 01-24-2010, 03:47 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

same, wouldent have a clue.

look cool tho
Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 AM
sunnymale

I know this is slightly off topic but some of you may about to or have ordered some wheel extensions from www.wheelextensions.com (he is a US seller and sells on ebay as well) just a word of warning as I bought some extensions in October and still not received. I bought directly off his website and paid by paypal but because I was patient and believed him and waited over a month paypal won't help now. Just be careful ordering anything from him and if you must buy, buy from ebay not his website directly as that way you have better chance of getting money back if he does not send the extensions.

Sunny
Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 PM
double00

Here is a new video of my bonzers older brother

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-CvWLwTguI
Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: sunnymale

I know this is slightly off topic but some of you may about to or have ordered some wheel extensions from www.wheelextensions.com (he is a US seller and sells on ebay as well) just a word of warning as I bought some extensions in October and still not received. I bought directly off his website and paid by paypal but because I was patient and believed him and waited over a month paypal won't help now. Just be careful ordering anything from him and if you must buy, buy from ebay not his website directly as that way you have better chance of getting money back if he does not send the extensions.

Sunny
omg, does he still respond?????

i would recomend getting another set from ebay then remind him about ur other order & threten him with bad feed back, then when u get both, still leave bad feed back & lodge a item not recived case with paypal, then u get 2 or more sets for the price of one bahahhahahahahahahah yeah i know im evil
Old 01-25-2010, 06:21 PM
phmaximus

How's im having a brake from r/c cars
I have decided that ive got to many that need finishing off & if i stop using them, nothing will brake. lol Then i can repair the other ones (about time)

ive swaped the brushless setup to a drift car for now
here ill give ya a run down

Bonzer, needs a new gear set, motor & ESC
Baja King, needs new reciver, motor & ESC
Rustler, needs a new body 8.4v battery & reciver protector
Buhless E10, needs new adjustable upper controll arms, & one way front diff
Stock E10, needs stock ESC
Revo, needs new clutch & more petrol
ta01/DF01, needs everything apart from the chassis, hubs & lower arms
walkera 52, needs new blades, landing gear & tail boom
Upgraded kids toy boat, needs propshaft that wont brake & new brushes for the motor
1/4 or 1/5 scale kids toy hummer, needs new chassis, he he he this one was funny, its a massive hummer that my 4yo (at the time) could sit on it & still was very fast, but i upgrades the esc to a tamiya twin motor type & during testing i smashed it into a varanda poll & distroyed the front diff & motor mount because the steering was so dodgy it would torque steer) man that thing was fun. Plan to make a chassis for it & use wild dagger front & rear diffs & i wanted to get those wheel extensions but im now scared
Old 01-26-2010, 07:48 PM
magnat

Well I have had people on Youtube ask me how did we make the Bonzers swim so... Here is our Secret.

Its a Tooth Brush Travelling container.. You stick your tooth brush and toothpaste in it when you travel..
Old 01-27-2010, 07:06 AM
bluefisherking

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

How's im having a brake from r/c cars
I have decided that ive got to many that need finishing off & if i stop using them, nothing will brake. lol Then i can repair the other ones (about time)

ive swaped the brushless setup to a drift car for now
here ill give ya a run down

Bonzer, needs a new gear set, motor & ESC
Baja King, needs new reciver, motor & ESC
Rustler, needs a new body 8.4v battery & reciver protector
Buhless E10, needs new adjustable upper controll arms, & one way front diff
Stock E10, needs stock ESC
Revo, needs new clutch & more petrol
ta01/DF01, needs everything apart from the chassis, hubs & lower arms
walkera 52, needs new blades, landing gear & tail boom
Upgraded kids toy boat, needs propshaft that wont brake & new brushes for the motor
1/4 or 1/5 scale kids toy hummer, needs new chassis, he he he this one was funny, its a massive hummer that my 4yo (at the time) could sit on it & still was very fast, but i upgrades the esc to a tamiya twin motor type & during testing i smashed it into a varanda poll & distroyed the front diff & motor mount because the steering was so dodgy it would torque steer) man that thing was fun. Plan to make a chassis for it & use wild dagger front & rear diffs & i wanted to get those wheel extensions but im now scared
Ha ha That list made me laugh... It seems very familiar!

On the one hand, an advantage of having a number of RC vehicles is that if (when) one or more break, you still have others to play with while waiting for parts and the time to repair. But once you have a really long list on which all items need work, then you have a problem

Actually, my list is not looking too bad at the moment with most cars running.. but that's because over the winter I have spent more time flying the planes... and now most of them are now broken/needing repairs!

[BTW, I agree that the Baja King is a really fun vehicle.. I picked one up cheap off the Bay and only upgraded to shocks, bearings and brushless, and it is a load of fun.]
Old 01-27-2010, 07:09 AM
bluefisherking

ORIGINAL: magnat

Well I have had people on Youtube ask me how did we make the Bonzers swim so... Here is our Secret.

Its a Tooth Brush Travelling container.. You stick your tooth brush and toothpaste in it when you travel..
Nicely Done :-)
You could have used waterproof ESC and a Traxxas receiver box, but I guess you get a lot of buoyancy (in a useful place on top of the chassis) from the large toothbrush box. Good job.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 PM
phmaximus

hey thats cool, love the way it can even hold ur tooth brush and toothpaste lol just needs a small fold out mirror lol

how i gave the Rustler a run yesterday & one of the upper arm screws fell out [:@] so thats not out of action.

yeah the baja kings rock, mine has taken a beating & still gets up everytime, he he he I even crashed it down a storm water drain with enuff force for the battery to somehow come out, it was strange because the battery retainers were still intacted & fitted???

my only complaint is it was bigger say 1/8 scale, then it would give some other buggys a run

oh oh oh planes hummmmmmmm... i like planes lol
Old 01-30-2010, 07:10 PM
magnat

Oh there is a waterproof M-Troniks Viper 15T in there aswell but a little more insurance never hurts..
Old 02-05-2010, 07:16 PM
timmy94

Hey Guys,

I recently got an HBX Bonzer [V1 I'm pretty sure] and lately when I accelerate beyond a small amount it seems to make a sort of grinding noise, one that is like a quick clicking [say 30 times per second] and the grip on dirt seems to have diminished and I get wheel spin on the tires with least grip [most of the time the front ones] and if I am say at the bottom of a small dirt hill, it needs a run up to get up it otherwise it just has wheel spin. Does anyone know what this problem could be and what particular part [if need be] I need to fix it.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2010, 06:49 AM
sunnymale

Timmy94 if you bought the truck new have a look at the owners manual which will show you where the motor and pinion gear etc fit. You need to check that the pinion is still on securely and also the long shaft that runs along the side of the chasis that in effect makes the truck 4wd is intact and also the gears attached to it. There is a small plastic part that you can remove held on by one scew to check the pinion. If that fails you will have to do some dismantling and check the diffs and gearbox again the manual shows how. If you do not have a manual just go online and download one for tamiya baja king/champ or even just a general tl01 maual as that is what this truck is based on.

Just to keep you guys updated about rob forsberg/wheel extensions I still have received nothing even though I paid in Oct 2009 and now he will not even answer emails. What I do now is let people on forums I use know about my experience so they dont get burnt as well and then email him every time to let him know and wish him all the best for future sales.

Sunny
Old 02-06-2010, 07:33 AM
timmy94

Yeh I ended up taking the whole thing apart and it seems that the rear gears are ground a bit so I swapped it out with the front one and now the rear wheels spin a lot. So I am pretty sure it is the gears then. Does anyone sell metal or more durable gears than the standard plastic ones so I have gears that would last a bit longer.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2010, 07:46 AM
phmaximus

I agree, ya gonna have to pull it apart & inspect every thing, dont worry, thay are a easy car to work on & a great way to learn how it works

can u go over the symptoms again?
are the rims spinning inside the tyres?
if u hold the car & go full trottle do all 4 wheels spin? or does at least one wheel from the front & one from the rear spin???

or when u hold it, or try to climb a hill do the front wheels spin only??? if thats the case it means the gear box is ok & the front diff is ok, but there is a problem with the rear diff or drive cups or axles or wheel hex's. First place i would look are the drive cups, thay are very easy to strip on the splines that go into the diff, there are hardened ones available & its good to locktight them im.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:47 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: timmy94

Yeh I ended up taking the whole thing apart and it seems that the rear gears are ground a bit so I swapped it out with the front one and now the rear wheels spin a lot. So I am pretty sure it is the gears then. Does anyone sell metal or more durable gears than the standard plastic ones so I have gears that would last a bit longer.

Cheers
Unfortunately, I don't think that they make metal gears for it. The bonzer is a copy of the Tamiya tl01 sedan, which explains the drive train breakage. The chassis and gear-train were not designed to take the stress of monster tires. You could reduce the stress on the gears, by putting a little smaller tires on it.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:23 PM
timmy94

I have noticed when pulling the tyres on and off that they are spinning inside the rims. All 4 wheels spin when I hold it in the air also.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:09 AM
magnat

I haven't had a problem with the rear gears chewing since I replaced the motor so I can only assume that they dont align them properly at the factory...

A series 1 bonzer has an ESC and Reciever in 1 unit.
A Series 2 is a Seperate ESC and Reciever.. If you bought it recently then it would be a Series 2 as they seemed to have dropped the series 3 from E-bay down under..
Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM
timmy94

Ok then, it must be a series 2 then.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:56 AM
squirt22

My HBX bonzer today made a very bad noise.. i believ that i have stripped something in the rear, oppened it up and one of the gears was burred slightly and the back of the gearbox housing/chassis had a crack..

my question that i would like to know do the tamiya tl01 G parts(gear) fit and work? and as i have heard that it is an exact copy of the tl01b, i could just get a new chassis yes and get the tamiya g parts?

Old 02-14-2010, 03:19 PM
bluefisherking

ORIGINAL: squirt22

My HBX bonzer today made a very bad noise.. i believ that i have stripped something in the rear, oppened it up and one of the gears was burred slightly and the back of the gearbox housing/chassis had a crack..

my question that i would like to know do the tamiya tl01 G parts(gear) fit and work? and as i have heard that it is an exact copy of the tl01b, i could just get a new chassis yes and get the tamiya g parts?
The HBX gears are exactly the same as the Tamiya TL-01 G parts. The chassis is almost exactly the same. The only difference is that for some reason HBX used a very slightly longer internal shaft in one position (about 1mm longer), which the normal TL-01 chassis can't quite accommodate. So you have to either pick up a set of the Tamiya internal shafts, or simply file off about 1mm from the one that is too long. It is really easy to spot which one it is - just assemble the chassis, and you will see that it doesn't quite close in one spot.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:21 AM
squirt22

thanks for the response, off to the hobbyshop i guess. and i saw on ebay that you can actually get metal gears.

anyways thanks for the help, will keep you updated on my HBX to tl01 conversion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.