Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Which 1/10 Tourer???

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 1/10 Tourer???

Hi All, I hope you may be able to help me.

I have been struggling to make a decession on what road tourer to get. I have been looking over the forum and thier are good arguments for most. Here are my option as far as I can see. I am getting back into the hobby after many years away and dont wish to speed alot intially in case I dont like it or cant find the time but would like the option that if I do enjoy it and can find the time that I can upgrade the vechile as I get better and be really competive! I am thinking RTR for the value but prefer kits to build.

I was thinking TC4 RTR, HPI Sprint 2 RTR or a tamiya model but am really confused to which chassis to get!

Any help appreciated and thoughts welcomed. Thanks
Old 12-05-2006, 02:38 AM

Default RE: Which 1/10 Tourer???

is racing in your future?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:27 AM

Yeah I definatly like the idea of racing and have some mates that are racing so it would be a goal to start racing.
ORIGINAL: fastcrash

is racing in your future?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:57 AM

The TC4 RTR is a very good choice. HPI's Sprint 2 is also a nice car, although the last thing I knew the diffs needed to be upgraded to ball diffs.( please check that out, I could be behind the times) Also the chassis reminds me of the Pro2, I had one of those-very nice car. If I might suggest, the Losi XXX-S RTR comes with a brushless motor-take a look. Whatever your LHS supports also should be included in your decision. Don
Old 12-05-2006, 12:51 PM

Yeah I agreee about the LHS, the problem is that I dont have one, thier isnt one in the town, the closet LHS is 2 hrs away. I am only interested in runnin gin the stock class where hopefully it is a more level playing field. I will have a look at the Losi and see if it supported in NZ. Thanks
ORIGINAL: DLS II

The TC4 RTR is a very good choice. HPI's Sprint 2 is also a nice car, although the last thing I knew the diffs needed to be upgraded to ball diffs.( please check that out, I could be behind the times) Also the chassis reminds me of the Pro2, I had one of those-very nice car. If I might suggest, the Losi XXX-S RTR comes with a brushless motor-take a look. Whatever your LHS supports also should be included in your decision. Don
Old 12-05-2006, 02:46 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would forget about the RTRs. If you're interested in stock class racing, you're going to replace the motor, body, and tires anyway (it's a pain to race a RTR body when there are 2 other identical ones in your heat). In general, the kit versions also provide you with better components. If I were in the market for a new touring car, I'd be looking at the Losi JRX-S, XRay T2'007, and the hot bodies cyclone (cyclone s if your budget minded).
Old 12-05-2006, 06:13 PM

Stock class is the farthest thing from an even field in onroad racing. Mod is the closest to an even field, because the power system has nothing to do with how fast you are - it's completely setup and driving. In stock, you can drive perfectly for 5 minutes, but you'll never beat the guy with the magically tuned stock motor, two-run brushes, motor chiller, less-than-20-cycles IB 4200 WCE matched and best of the lot...
Old 12-05-2006, 07:12 PM

uhh... that's why most tracks have a novice sportsman and expert stock class... or at least my track does
Old 12-05-2006, 07:18 PM
My Feedback: (3)

The xray T2r is the best out there for people on a budget. But of those you listed the TC4 would be the best.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:00 PM

Thanks I appreciate the help, thier are just so many choices out thier its difficult to know what to get!
Old 12-06-2006, 01:27 PM

For stock racing, you must be on crack! Shaft cars are way better for stock and 19t. Go with the TC4 or Pro 4. If you must do belt, XXX-S. The Sprint is a toy and the center of gravity is too high. It was meant as a beginner car based on the Pro 2, but is nowhere near as nice as the Pro2. Save your bucks on the T2 and Cyclone when you decide to go modified.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:07 PM

Belts beat shafts in competition, and are driven by the best drivers because they want a chance to win.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:48 PM

i would go with the xray T2R, since it is only $200
Old 12-07-2006, 12:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Adamg-RCU

Belts beat shafts in competition, and are driven by the best drivers because they want a chance to win.
FALSE. There are times when shaft drives are better car to race with (i.e stock 27T and even some 19T courses with many corners). It's a well known fact that a comparably equipped shaft drive car can consistantly out-accelerate a belt drive car- which is where they'd gain time on a belt drive car.

Also, the best drivers out there drive what their SPONSORS support. PERIOD. In cases where car manufacturers have a choice of shaft or belt drive to offer to their sponsored racers, its often the belt drive that gets chosen because anyone worth a factory sponsorship isnt going to be racing in stock or 19T races on a tight course. Look at the nationals and worlds- they're always wide open throttle courses.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:21 AM

Ok , XXX-S is a very good car , one of the best in my opinion. But if the price plays you should be looking into a Tamiya TA05 , it's an extremely good car that handles like the best ( TRF415 , evo's , ... ) and comes at a price of only 90$ on Ebay. With upgrades of like 9$ a piece you can make a VERY good car if you descide to race it.

Here's my TA05 and looks like a TRF at less than half of the price :

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60264.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	573183  
Old 12-07-2006, 10:33 AM

All I have to say is "Thank You". I couldnt have put it any better myself. If you are ever in NYC, I got a cold beer with your name on it!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:49 AM

Hey bxpitbull,

Who are you talking to ? If your talking to me , I'll help you remember when I'm in the Apple. [sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 12-07-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have heard bad things about the xxxs at my local track most of the losi guys say the xx-s was more raceable car
most of the guys at my track run the ta05,losi xxs ,and the tc4
i race my rs4 i got off the bay for 40$ i do well with it its verry stable in the short track we have (in mod class its a blast )
i also race my rc10 ds and its awsome it can keep up in stock class on the carpet oval and its old school 2wd stealth trans

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64669.jpg
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	573262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18394.jpg
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	573263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64178.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	573264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53035.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	573265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98210.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	573266  
Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 PM

Dicogolfer,

I still have to hear the first bad thing about the XXXS , untill now that is. The XXXs is one of the best cars money can buy. My LHS is the Losi distributer of Europe ( the shop always has an add in RC Car Action www.mcmracing.com ) and even the shop owner's best car ever is the XXXS , it's very raceable. Yes the XXS is also a great car.

May I ask what's so unraceble about the XXXS ? I would like to know;
Thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

losi guys have said that xx-s was more durable and a better setup thats y they race them i have seen it to , 2-3 guys have the xxxs and they are always buying replacement parts

one guy bought a brand new xxxs (he has a xxs)one of the top racers at our track , well he brought his new xxxs to the track for the race and went as far after the race to throw the whole xxxs into the trash i wish i was next to that trash can first but someone els got to it first lol

im not dising the xxxs i just know what i have heard at the local track im more into offroad raceing and 1/12 carpet oval but i picked up my ds and rs4 cheap so i race them when im at the track and there is no off roed raceing going on
Old 12-07-2006, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Easy rider

Ok , XXX-S is a very good car , one of the best in my opinion. But if the price plays you should be looking into a Tamiya TA05 , it's an extremely good car that handles like the best ( TRF415 , evo's , ... ) and comes at a price of only 90$ on Ebay. With upgrades of like 9$ a piece you can make a VERY good car if you descide to race it.

Here's my TA05 and looks like a TRF at less than half of the price :

Hey easy rider, interesting you said the ta-05 can keep up and is low cost, I was just considering it last night, the other bonus is that parts seem to be available everywhere, I was considering this as a startng point as I am sure I am going to break the odd part or 2 learning to drive! modded up a bit can it keep up with TC4's etc?

Thanks guys
Old 12-07-2006, 04:32 PM

Hey Bullfrog,

Listen : I own a Tamiya TB EVO IV ( with option parts cost me 600$ ) , HPI Pro 4 ( costing me about the same ) , Losi XXXS G+ ( costing me 450$ ) and I use to have a Yokomo SD SSG worlds ( about 550$ )

These are all high end expensive cars , but the best car I have ever driven ( and recently bought ) is the TA05. This car is so tough , fast , planted , easy to work on , inexpensive , easy to find parts everywhere , and it comes with a beautifull raceable body , wheels and tires , spoiler , motor... at only 90$ on Ebay. It sounds like impossible to have the best and most inexpensive car at the same time.
It sure took a me a while to believe people that told me the same thing as I do now. I was thincking those people were going mental because in this hobby cheap and good don't match but boy is that statement wrong.

You don't have to believe me , just read articles about the car , revieuws in RC Car Action and RC driver , the TA05 message board on this website , ... and you'll see they all say the same thing. This car rocks and can take any high end rc car and walk away with it's head up.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:49 PM

I thought we were discussing which was better in stock? I say belt. Here's proof. Where's your proof?

2006 IIC race
Here's a pic of the track: http://www.intchamps.com/images/06Photos/060921_dm.jpg
To me, that is a tight track.
Stock foam winner's car: a belt drive

If the winner thought he could be faster with a shaft car, he would join a team that has a shaft car. That's how top level racing works. Drivers join teams that allow them to win. Also, if there was a serious performance difference, someone driving a shaft car would have won.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Adamg-RCU
If the winner thought he could be faster with a shaft car, he would join a team that has a shaft car. That's how top level racing works.
slippery arguement...
i didnt say that shaft cars are faster all the time, simply that there are TIMES when it would be advantageous to use one.
also, let's face it- the best DRIVERS win races, not necessarily the "best" cars. if not, please DEFINE BEST CAR. why did HARA win so many races in his pro3/pro4 when there was plenty of belt competition? the same reason why he still wins in his hotbodies cyclone-because he's a better DRIVER.

show me lap times of the same top level driver driving comparable cars, one with belt & one with shaft, and see an increase in times using either, it'll be hard to find. it's too easy to say that someone won a race because of the drivetrain type of the car. racing involves much too many exterior factors.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:28 AM

That's right swerv,

It's not cars that win races but DRIVERS. Guys like The Drake , Kinwald , Tebo can win races with just any good car just because they are GOOD , very good drivers.

In my club there is a guy who wins just about every race and even with low end- cars he still wins them. Just because he's very good at setting up a car , choosing tires , nowing when to pit , etc.

If you realy want to know you have to give one driver the chance to drive different cars on the same day and the same track. That would be nice to see what car has the fastest lap time.

Personally I like belt cars better but that's because I only run brushless cars and the diffs of shaft cars mostly can't take that much of a beating like belt diffs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.