Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

what is killing my batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is killing my batteries?

i have a question that may or may not be dumb. however, i am not overly experienced with electric cars much so i'll ask anyway...

my daughter drives a stampede that is stock except for ball bearings and dirt hawg tires. i drive a lunchbox that until recently had a mubachi 540 motor. i would get ridiculously better run time than her. i bought a stock stinger motor and put it in my lunchbox. we were driving tonight and i STILL have ridiculously better run time than her. i thought for sure that i would lose run time (faster motor) but i didn't seem to. also, i have noticed her motor is much hotter than mine after running for the same amount of time.

if we both run the same types of batteries, why do hers die so much faster? i don't know the gearing for hers off the top fo my head but the two trucks seem to be about even in speed, so i wouldn't think it would be gearing. at least not that significant.

specifically:
1) would the two esc's make a difference? (xl-1 vs teu-101bk)
2) would it more likely be the fact she LOVES to reverse then immediately go forward to pop wheelies?

please keep in mind that i'm not really interested in dropping a lot of cash on a new esc or motors. we just do this to spend time together. however, it is more fun to drive instead of changing batteries and letting the motor cool off between battery packs.

any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: what is killing my batteries?

Motor w/ advanced timing runs hotter and drain the battery more when it is running in reverse.. maybe that would explain why your daugher's run time is not as good.. (you said she likes to use reverse..)

Also, as you said, the gearing could be an factor...

Oh, it is unlikely the ESC.. they shouldn't matter..
Old 12-06-2006, 11:16 PM

just looked...gearing is 18t/87t which is stock...and i can confirm that the tranny does have full bearings internally (i just took it apart and looked)

i wouldn't think a stinger would have advanced timing, would it?

it just seems like i've read before that going forward to reverse to forward to reverse etc. is bad for your electricals (over heating esc and batts)

i have an 81t spur gear i could use. i know that would increase top speed/decrease acceleration, but how would that impact run time?
Old 12-06-2006, 11:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have thought the String has advanced timing.. (just not adjustable..)

Don't gear up.. it would hurt your run time.. as motor drains a lot more battery when it is trying to accelerate...
Old 12-06-2006, 11:35 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more than likely just the way she is driving it. Running a motor in reverse actually retards the timing which is extremely inefficient in itself, but then slamming it into forward also puts a huge load on the motor. Both of those factors will lead to shorter run times and a hotter motor.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:17 AM

I would try gearing hers down a little, like a 16t pinion. It won't have as much top speed but the run time should increase. Didn't some one say recently the stampede is geared a little too high so they can claim higher top speeds?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:37 AM

Drop hers to a 16t as suggested or 15t and stiffen the rear springs up some and she won't have to backup to do a wheelie. You can also tighten the slipper up all the way will also help.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

I would have thought the String has advanced timing.. (just not adjustable..)
dude, you could be totally right...like i said, i don't really know too much about the ins and the outs and the outs and the ins of these things. i just know i don't want to have to fool with worrying about worn out brushes, tweaking the timing, etc... i enjoy the electrics in part because it's a break from the constant adjusting of the nitros. i want EASE OF USE.

as far as the gearing i figured putting the smaller spur b/c it would give the motor less leverage against the truck and therefore decrease runtime...but i thought i'd double check...

i will look at a smaller pinion. maybe if she could wheelie w/o going in reverse she'd wheelie less. then again, maybe i'll just get a forward only esc...that'll solve it! lol...
Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 AM

I don't know if this is adjustable on a Pede, but check the gear mesh. It could have gone awry at the factory and caused a lot of binding in the drivetrain.

I think this because of the heat buildup on the motor.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:44 AM

yes the mesh is adjustable. but i have set it so it should be good.

i had a good idea that it had more to do with the way she drives than anything with the components of the truck. i put my teu-101bk esc in it and ran it myself and it ran for a long time. then i started going in reverse a lot and the battery immediately died. i just thought i'd bounce it off of people who know this kind of stuff to be sure.

and thanks for the idea of changing the gearing to make it wheelie more...that hadn't occured to me yet. i was trying to figure out how to keep her from driving like that instead of how to make it do what she wants it to. DOH!
Old 12-07-2006, 05:28 PM

Go brushless?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
Banned

it's the esc. the Xl-1 is horrible. Your better off with a cheap-o esc off tower or some where else. my friends had the same problem.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:26 PM

well, not to get into a this is good/this sucks discussion BUT...

i put the tamiya esc in it and it worked fine until i started to go forward & reverse & forward & reverse a bunch of times. i don't think it's the esc...after i change gearing if it still does it i'll put the xl1 in my 'box and see how it does.