Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Please help: Pinion and spur spin but tires don't

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 03:12 AM
psychorevo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help: Pinion and spur spin but tires don't

I took the Pede for some high speed runs with my new brushless set up but after two runs, it made a clicking noise.

First instinct: misaligned spur; However, the spur and pinion placement are fine. They spin nicely but no power to wheels. What do you think the problem is?

TY in adance.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:48 AM
pre98zetec
Banned

Default RE: Please help: Pinion and spur spin but tires don't

Rear differential, If you have a clicking sound. Also check the dogbones/axel pins.

Pick the truck up and spin the left wheel, does the right wheel spin backwords, or does it not spin at all?
Old 12-09-2006, 03:51 AM
aer-wubby

Probably stripped your idler gear.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Easy rider

Sounds like :
1) your pinion gear sits loose on the motor shaft ( happened to me a few times )

OR

2) Your idler gear's crosspin is broken and makes a clicking noise
Old 12-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Turbofox67

ORIGINAL: pre98zetec

Rear differential, If you have a clicking sound. Also check the dogbones/axel pins.

Pick the truck up and spin the left wheel, does the right wheel spin backwords, or does it not spin at all?

With a brushless motor the two tires had better be spinning the same way, but I agree with you and it is more than likely the diff gear.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:08 PM
pre98zetec
Banned

ORIGINAL: Turbofox67

ORIGINAL: pre98zetec

With a brushless motor the two tires had better be spinning the same way, but I agree with you and it is more than likely the diff gear.
I meant spin the wheel with your hand, not with the motor.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:09 PM
psychorevo

i spin the diff gear but no tire spin. I spin one tire and the other tire does nothing.

Is it the idle gear?

TY!!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Dudelive

ORIGINAL: psychorevo

i spin the diff gear but no tire spin. I spin one tire and the other tire does nothing.

Is it the idle gear?

TY!!!!
If you spin 1 tire and the pinion don't turn and the other tire don't turn, be sure the spur gear or the top shaft it connects to don't turn. Also be sure that the inner joint is connected to the trans. Be sure the axel nut didn't come loose or you drop the axel pin when changing tires. If nothing turns the problem is inside.

Idler or diff gear if all that is good.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:18 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Or it could be SIMPLY that his slipper clutch is too loose..... I'd check that, because well.. I know how many times that's the main culprit. The silly nut comes loose after some running and I seem to lose power and find out it's the slipper nut' fault.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:57 PM
capone12
My Feedback: (1)

First as Slo said, check out the slipper clutch nut. If thats set right make sure the grub screw in the pinion is all the way in and just to make 100% sure, check the gear mesh one more time.

If all these fail, then its time to crack open the tranny to see what's up. Are you running the stock idler gear? Sounds to me like the idler gear has toasted, replace it with the aluminum one if that is the problem and keep running. If not, then its probably your diff. Either way you are probably going to have to open up the tranny to find out for sure. Luckily its not a hard task except for the first 2 times you do it, after that you can do it without a guide and in about 1/20th the time it took you the first time.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:14 PM
psychorevo

ORIGINAL: capone12

First as Slo said, check out the slipper clutch nut. If thats set right make sure the grub screw in the pinion is all the way in and just to make 100% sure, check the gear mesh one more time.

If all these fail, then its time to crack open the tranny to see what's up. Are you running the stock idler gear? Sounds to me like the idler gear has toasted, replace it with the aluminum one if that is the problem and keep running. If not, then its probably your diff. Either way you are probably going to have to open up the tranny to find out for sure. Luckily its not a hard task except for the first 2 times you do it, after that you can do it without a guide and in about 1/20th the time it took you the first time.
YAY!!!!!!!!!! My Pede is back in action. It was the idle gear!!!!

I love you guys but I sometimes hate the advice. I was dreading opening up the tranny but I did and it was kinda fun learning about my truck.

Hobby People had the plastic idle gear for $2 and the aluminum for $12. I didn't want to open the tranny case again so I boug the aluminum.

Hooray!!!!!!! My Pede is running and ready to annihilate to competition.

I love you guys. Thanks for the invalulable advice!!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 09:15 PM
psychorevo

ORIGINAL: aer-wubby

Probably stripped your idler gear.
WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2006, 09:17 PM
MacDuff
My Feedback: (2)

I love you guys but I sometimes hate the advice. I was dreading opening up the tranny but I did and it was kinda fun learning about my truck.

Hobby People had the plastic idle gear for $2 and the aluminum for $12. I didn't want to open the tranny case again so I boug the aluminum.

Don't you need bearings for the aluminum idler gear?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:55 PM
firetacoma

I just ended up with the same symptoms after tooling around the parking lot with my new brushless setup. Cracked open the tranny and all looked fine... opened up the diff and blamo. The center portion of the diff gear was totally broken off! DOH! Ordered a bunch of new parts (and a bearing kit) and next weekend I'll be up and running! Stupid brushless setups making me spend more money! lol
Old 12-10-2006, 10:18 PM
psychorevo

ORIGINAL: MacDuff

Don't you need bearings for the aluminum idler gear?
Original bearing were fine. I just pulled them out of the old idle gear and WALA!!!!!!!!!!!

I love my pede.. I learned a lesson. I tried gearing down to avoid heat and qucker redline but it will cause too much strees on the drivetrain and transmission. So now, I'm keeping it geared for top speed so as to not have too much strees upon launch
Old 12-11-2006, 02:26 AM
Easy rider

Yippee ! I won too.
Old 08-05-2023, 08:44 PM
Daveovington

Originally Posted by psychorevo

Is it the idle gear?

TY!!!!
I have the same problem happening with a couple of my cheaper axles on one of my rock crawlers and its inside the spool , if you look at the ends of your axle shafts, they are flattened out to fit in the rectangle holes in the spool and rhe rectangle hole gets stripped to a round hole and no longer turns the axle . It sucks . I jave one side the will still spin that sides axle but not the other side . I am thinking of possibly welding the ends of the qaxles together lol bur I don't see that last too long as the on side of the spool will now be responsible for spinning both axles and the plastic spool will probably strip in no time . I've been looking around for replacement spools and they are out there . It just depends on what you have now and what you want. Hope this helps if I'm nit already way too late as usual lol cheers