Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

newbie considering used Rustler

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 AM
TN_RC_HOBBY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie considering used Rustler

I'm totally new to the RC hobby and I'm considering buying a used, older model, electric Rustler with stock XL1 ESC and 20T Stinger motor.

Will I be disappointed with performance of the older Rustler?

I don't plan to race and I don't have the budget to sink $300 (or more) into a new truck.

Any thoughts or advice for a newbie?

Old 01-14-2007, 10:24 AM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: newbie considering used Rustler

Hi, welcome to RCU and rc in general.

I'd give it a good look over and test drive and if it's half price of a new one or so then is a great deal to get involved. It might even come with a lot of the "extras" like battery, charger, parts which would be a plus.

Either way you may become somewhat bored with performance of a used or a brand new one after some time and will want to uprgrade motors and such.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

If you're not a total gearhead, then you probably won't be disappointed. It's a very good truck to start with and you can always add on to it later to get more performance out of it.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:36 AM
mmkain

yeah i stepped into a used rusty in aug. like u it was my first real rc. got it for $85 off ebay. had the stinger & a orion method motor. never run the stinger, so can't tell u what it would do. but its a great truck almost unbreakable (i haven't been easy on it either). be aware....beware.....this hobby (read addiction) does suck u in. cause after u get use to u're new to u truck u naturally want it to go faster, take jumps better, corner better. since aug i've spent probably in the nieghborhood of $400 in upgrades, some of them were good some were bad. to cut u're mistakes pay attention to these forums, these guys are a great sorce of info. u might want to check out the traxxas on line community too. u can also find great info on free hopups at these link
http://www.ultimatetraxxas.com/rustler.html
http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/
http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lane/er-pit-lane.asp
& welcome to the addiction, errr....i mean hobby
Old 01-14-2007, 12:35 PM
TN_RC_HOBBY

Thanks for the feedback.

I figure to go ahead and try to pick up a used one with a few extras (charger, batteries, etc.) for $100 (give or take).

I suspect that I might want to upgrade it later, but for now I'm just trying to get a foot in the door without breaking the bank.

I'm going to do some research on batteries and basic modifications (anybody want to chime in with their $.02 on those subjects for a newbie).
Old 01-14-2007, 12:40 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

You could start out cheap with generic nimh batts in the 3000-4300 range and a cheap peak type charger. Or get some quality batts made with gp or IB cells and a cheap or good charger. Most will disagree with me, but if I had to start out agin I'd get cheap e-bay generic batts and a cheap peak type charger.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:58 PM
TN_RC_HOBBY

I'm going the cheap route (used stock truck & inexpensive batteries, etc.). I'm not a gearhead and most likely won't be racing this thing (not even sure if there is a racetrack nearby).

I can see myself putting a few bucks into this, but nothing major.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:26 PM
wizbus

The Rustler is a fast and fun platform. Good choice with many options to upgrade.
Here's from Traxxas...[link=http://www.traxxas.com/products/electric/rustler/trx_rustler.htm]Traxxas Rustler[/link]
Here's consideration to put the fun factor over the top...[link=http://www.castlecreations.com/support/max_tuning_guide.html]Castle Creations[/link]
If it doesn't have bearings installed, check out RPM carriers, with sealed bearings.
Inexpensive 3300MaH battery packs may provide enough, or to warrant S lipo.
If I were to start over with batteries, it would be lipo and proper charger. Right now I have too many $$ in NiMh batts and chargers to toss and they all are 3000MaH +.
Have Fun!!
Bus
Old 01-14-2007, 03:11 PM
duneslider

I think you are going about it just fine. Make sure you don't get ripped off on the purchase though. I got a slightly used rustler for 60 bucks. I think the rusty is a great beginners truck and great for anyone who wants to bash. However, try looking at the stampede too. I find it to be more fun for the bashing around. You might find it that way too.

As for a charger, I would say as long as you get a charger that is a peak charger that will charge Nihm batteries you will be happy. Plenty of them around for about fifty bucks.

I just picked up some 3500mah batts off ebay (2 for 30) and they seem pretty good. If you get two good batts (3300mah or better) you will be happy. Four would be even better and you can get four for about 60 bucks.

I too would recommend the bearings and rpm carriers for the rusty or stampede, however, I ran both mine for a while without them and it was fine.

Plan on replacing your connectors with deans (or powerpoles). It will give you better performance and you will have fewer problems.

I bet you can get a good setup for 200. You might want to splurge though and buy a new rusty. It comes with a nicer esc and motor and better tires and wheels and is really pretty affordable.

duneslider

Old 01-14-2007, 03:26 PM
TN_RC_HOBBY

ORIGINAL: duneslider

I bet you can get a good setup for 200. You might want to splurge though and buy a new rusty. It comes with a nicer esc and motor and better tires and wheels and is really pretty affordable.

duneslider

I figure I'll have $200 in it within just a few months (that's pretty much my target budget). I've looked into the newer Rustler, but I figured by the time I added batteries, charger and a few of those upgrades you mentioned (bearings, deans, etc.) I'd have at least $300 into it. Besides, I've never had/driven anything but those toy RC trucks, so I'm sure any hobby-class RC truck is going to be a blast.

P.S. wizbuz: too many batteries, huh? ........ummmmmhhh, that's interesting
Old 01-14-2007, 08:13 PM
mmkain

make sure u get a basher bumper (rpm) if the truck doesn't have one, saves u're steering t a certain extent. u'll be surprised at what jumps out in front of u ..... parked cars, sides of houses, little kids on bikes, high curbs....& the list goes on. cheap investment for alot of protection.
good charger (at least the one i started w/) dynamite prophet plus, or the upgraded plus 11. mine is the plus & i added a cooling fan to it. the plus11 comes w/ a fan & led screen to tell u whats up. good cheap chargers.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:12 AM
TN_RC_HOBBY

Thanks for the hints and tips.
Getting a bumper was certainly going to be one of the few upgrades that I made. I might actually tackle a couple more upgrades (Deans & RPM bearing carriers).
Old 01-15-2007, 04:21 PM
wizbus

I counted 12ea 6 cell packs NiMh, 4ea 4 cell packs NiMh and two mrc super brain chargers, a dynamite timed charger, and a hobbico timed charger. (Over about a 4 year period) Most have held up well, some not. Expensive cells will expire as quickly sometimes as inexpensive cells do. I just looked at the total $$ spent so far and am now looking at lipo packs. 2ea, 2C lipo packs and an inexpensive charger are about what I started out money wise four years ago for NiMh. I think in the long run the lipo battery may be a better choice today. The prices for NiMh are getting better though, as the newer power sources become more mainstream.
In any event, have fun, learn much as there is much to learn, and spend wisely.
Bus