Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Mamba 7700 heat issues...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Brushless Corey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mamba 7700 heat issues...

My brother has a Rustler with the Mamba Max 7700 in it. He was having some issues with the Tamiya plugs getting hot and fusing together and also burning some batteries up. He decided to have Deans plugs installed and bought a 2S Lipo battery. He went to the LHS and the guy helped him set it up on the computer using the USB, but I have no idea what the seetings are set at. He called me today and told me that the Lipo battery got really hot and it looked to be ruined.

Can any of you guys running the 7700 give me some settings to use on his Rustler?

1. What type of spur and pinion gears to use?
2. What to set the settings on the Mamba Max disc?

I haven't had the chance to actually poke around on the program to see what all can be changed so you help would be great. He is gonna come over and I'm gonna put the program on my computer and I'll try whatever settings you tell me to put in.

THanks....
Old 01-14-2007, 05:00 PM
rc monkey

Default RE: Mamba 7700 heat issues...

Make sure he sets the voltage drop level for the Lipo!!
Old 01-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Brushless Corey

I do know he set it up for LiPo. That is one thing for sure I know he had done and also put the timing on low.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:52 PM
LHHSTubaMan

gear the spur down lower if you can. but not so much that it would not go anywhere. that will burn out the motor.

go to factory settings and all you really need to change is the cutoff voltage, and timing to get it cooler.

refrain from doing many high speed runs. like do a few then drive slow to let it cool down.

do you have air holes? or a fan?
Old 01-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Brushless Corey

He bought a new spur gear and some smaller pinon gears too today, but hasn't put them on. What should the cutoff voltage be? Like I said, I haven't looked at the menu or program yet so I have no idea what the choices are. I know the timing was put to the "low" setting.

This set up is in a stock Rustler chassis without any modifications and he doesn't have a fan. I think he is going to get a XXX-T here in a few weeks and swap all the electronics to it.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:27 PM
zephar123

sounds liek the pinion to tight against the spur gear or somethign odd cause alot of friction its hard to over heat the mamba speed control heck I once put a 92 spur on a 28 pionion on my 5700 to see just hwo much I coud get and still did not make it overheat it was HOT HOT HOT THOUGH.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:31 PM
LHHSTubaMan

voltage setting should be set to "auto-lipo"

on my tc4, i have a snap on fan+heat sink.

try http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLUD3&P=7 for motor.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:35 PM
LHHSTubaMan

anyone know of a fan that will fit on the mamba controller?
Old 01-15-2007, 01:43 PM
rc monkey

gear the spur down lower if you can. but not so much that it would not go anywhere. that will burn out the motor.
NO, you want a bigger spur and smalleer pinion

For the Lipo, section 7 in the manual set it to setting 4
Old 01-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Brushless Corey

Thanks for the replies everyone. He recently sold the Rustler and bought anew XXX-T and put the Mamba in it. Now he is having some glitching issues. The car just doesn't want to go sometimes. Not sure if it has anything to do with the radio and reciever or what. He contacted CastleCreations about his heat issues and they told him to put the timing on "lowest" and go from there.