Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

How fast is your RC? (forumula provided)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:39 PM
TN_RC_HOBBY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast is your RC? (forumula provided)

Ever wondered how fast your RC can go?

I thought I'd provide a neat little formula that will help you figure how fast your RC is going.

S = (D/5280)/(T/3600)

D = distance in feet
T = time in seconds
S = speed in miles per hour

How to (probably need a buddy or two to help with the stopwatche)
1. Pick a level surface and mark out a select distance with chalk or cones (100 feet might work pretty well).
2. Get a good rolling start and time how long it takes you to cover the 100 feet (this can be a bit tricky and might require some help).
3. Plug in the # of seconds into the forumula and there you have it (D=100, T=#seconds on the stopwatch).

Hints:
1. Run the RC vehicle both directions and take an average (sometimes even the most level pavement isn't quite level).
2. The longer the distance, the more accurate your measurement (but the more difficult it might be to start & stop the stopwatch).
3. You want to hit the starting line at full speed and carry the full speed the entire distance (this can be tricky over long stretches).
4. The more measurements you make the more accurate your results.

Example:
Covering 100 feet in 2.5 seconds = an average speed of 27.3 MPH

Old 01-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Bombers_410

Default RE: How fast is your RC? (forumula provided)

lol .... ........ I think most people already get the formula S=D/T Nice work though.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Raguvian

Well, I would if I had an Rc car in the first place.[>:]
Old 01-15-2007, 08:52 PM
mmkain

funny u should ask. ran a tach on mine (of course thats unloaded speed). ran at 2500 rpm at the axle. figuring the geolanders circumference my truck was going 30mph on the stand. 17x2 fantom geared 17/84.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:15 AM
TN_RC_HOBBY

ORIGINAL: Bombers_410

lol .... ........ I think most people already get the formula S=D/T Nice work though.
My handy, dandy radar gun was malfunctioning so I had to improvise. I thought I'd just share some of my thoughts with the rest of the gang.

I should have known that most folks are whizzes at math and that the distance measurement of "miles" and the time measurement of "hours" would be very practical for RC enthusiasts that work/play with scale models (or they just use the actual measurement of miles and hours and don't mess with the feet and seconds stuff).

In fact, just the other day I thought I heard some folks discussing running their RCs at top speed over a level road for 1 hour and covering a distance of 25 miles............lol
Old 01-16-2007, 10:04 AM
sleepy23
My Feedback: (1)

tn rc hobby,

hey man, were do you run? I just noticed that you are in knoxville. do you actually race or just race/bash with buddies?
Old 01-16-2007, 02:57 PM
TN_RC_HOBBY

From what I can tell, there are a couple racetracks in the area (Clinton, Harriman, Greeneville, Morristown, Maryville, Athens) but I've never been to any of them or done any racing.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:41 PM
rcxboy

ORIGINAL: mmkain

funny u should ask. ran a tach on mine (of course thats unloaded speed). ran at 2500 rpm at the axle. figuring the geolanders circumference my truck was going 30mph on the stand. 17x2 fantom geared 17/84.
I doubt you'd be getting anywhere near 30mph on the ground, though. Those geolanders are big tires.

Another way of measuring speed is to attach a GPS to the car and do a speed run.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:19 PM
mmkain

its pretty quick, from what i started w/, i'ld say i'm above 25 mph. but this is just estimated & until i get a gps or r gun, i'll continue to delude myself.............my voices are quite when i run my truck.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:56 PM
TN_RC_HOBBY

ORIGINAL: mmkain

its pretty quick, from what i started w/, i'ld say i'm above 25 mph. but this is just estimated & until i get a gps or r gun, i'll continue to delude myself.............my voices are quite when i run my truck.

You don't need a r-gun or GPS (just grab a buddy and a stopwatch). If you can cover 100 feet in 2.7 seconds you're doing 25 MPH.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:52 PM
mmkain

d#*n never thought of that .... thanks man